The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #646 of 1,278
I don't know if it's the CDM & k3003i combo I have been jamming all day tell the CDM battery died but right now the ie800s is sounding simlair to the hd650. Could be the change in gear though.

Jan 1, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #648 of 1,278
Twister6, Awsome review by the way!

Read too much online, so I have hard copies of Twisters ie800s and George's DX200 reviews ready for new year reading! Happy New Year all.

Jan 1, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #649 of 1,278
I should clarify that I have the Flare R2Pro, not the new Pro. The R2Pro is higher impedance, more difficult to drive but quite weighty in its sound. I did not find the IE800S to be fuller but rather a bit brighter. Again, I should try the IE800S from my LPG to compare properly.

I have still have the R2 Pro too, indeed they do have more body than the Flares PRO.
There is a clear difference (out of DX200 and Mojo) to me between R2Pro and IE800S, then IS800S has a clear edge in terms of transparency and clarity I'd say it's more balanced overall.
The R2Pro is a tad laid back for a relaxed listen, this being said to me the S is much less forward than the original IE800 (but that's from memory).

Jan 1, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #650 of 1,278
For the record, I repeated my noise - loudness test today, since I had some free time. I would crank the volume much higher on what can stay clearer at louder volumes, for example, my Edifier Luna distorts quicker than Edifier S1000DB, so I tend to crank S1000DB much more than Lunas, same with ie800, I turn it so loud just because I can turn it so loud without distortions.

Some people might be a bit skeptical about this, but I cofirmed this with a lot of other Romanian audiophiles through the years, and especially when testing HE-1 at AVstore Romania, while Sennheiser was so nice to send it on tour here.

Jan 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #651 of 1,278
I have still have the R2 Pro too, indeed they do have more body than the Flares PRO.
There is a clear difference (out of DX200 and Mojo) to me between R2Pro and IE800S, then IS800S has a clear edge in terms of transparency and clarity I'd say it's more balanced overall.
The R2Pro is a tad laid back for a relaxed listen, this being said to me the S is much less forward than the original IE800 (but that's from memory).

Less forward in the midrange, or the treble?

Jan 2, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #652 of 1,278
For the record, I repeated my noise - loudness test today, since I had some free time. I would crank the volume much higher on what can stay clearer at louder volumes, for example, my Edifier Luna distorts quicker than Edifier S1000DB, so I tend to crank S1000DB much more than Lunas, same with ie800, I turn it so loud just because I can turn it so loud without distortions.

Some people might be a bit skeptical about this, but I cofirmed this with a lot of other Romanian audiophiles through the years, and especially when testing HE-1 at AVstore Romania, while Sennheiser was so nice to send it on tour here.
George
How much volume a headphone can handle is not really indicative of a quality headphone. I am not sure what you are trying to prove as this information does not appear to be correct.

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #653 of 1,278
Less forward in the midrange, or the treble?

Less forward overall I think it's a result of the tuning : bass are better controlled and treble smoother, and of course the (in?)famous upper mids peak...

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #655 of 1,278
Yesterday I bought (second hand from a five star HeadFier) a pair of ie800S (Ss). These are a replacement of my old ie800 which I loved and lost while travelling recently. I was always on the edge on whether the old ie800 were fake or not since I bought them on Ebay and the verification sticker was different from the image on Sennheiser's page, though it had a valid code - the fact is they were phenomenal, and very close from what I hear in the new Ss (verifed to be genuine). So maybe the ie800 were genuine after all, or there are some exceptionally good fakes out there (I've occasionally came across reports of impressive ie800 fakes). The other option is that I have poor hearing, as much as I like to think that I've accumulated enough head gear and spent enough time making comparisons that I can at least tell apples from oranges.

Assuming my lost ie800 were genuine, and also baring in mind that I've used complys with both, my impressions are:
  • The sub-bass is ever so slightly tamed (or refined?) in the S, making them feel slightly more neutral which I personally like. That is not to say that the S does not have sub-bass - it does have plenty when needed, and with the same quality and texture that I've grown to expect from the ie800.
  • I hear a tad more in the presence region and possibly more resolution, with slightly better textures of voices violins, guitar strums. If find this to be positive, because musicality and cohesion is retained. I can add that I disliked (and eventually sold) a pair of Shure SE535s because they had too much of this quality, to a point it dismembered the musicality imho, even after tip and filter rolling.
  • The treble is still airy, I didn't notice a big difference here, but then again I've been using complys for a long time for a good fit. With silicon tips I don't hear striking peak in the Ss, just pleasant airiness.
  • I can't find or recall a difference in the soundstage between the two models - the Ss are not my Hifiman he560, but they are the next best thing when I can't use the he560 (with leather pads, that bring it closer to the balance of the Ss with complys).
This is based on 1 day's worth of listening of the Ss, mostly modern jazz and orchestral music, and my relatively fresh memory of the sound of a (presumed genuine) pair of ie800. I cannot quantify the burn-in of these Ss either since they are second hand.

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #656 of 1,278
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Now to wait for a good deal...

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #657 of 1,278
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Now to wait for a good deal...

The more I spend time with the IE800S, the more I feel like the 10% off for subscribing to the Sennheiser newsletter was a good deal already :) Not sure it this still works but...

I have spent a lot of hours with the S and I really think Sennheiser has made the IE800S a more mature IE800, very refined (only IEM I had matching this level was the S-EM9) with more balance and subtlety while retaining the engaging nature of the IE800.

I am quite amazed in particular by timbre, both for vocals and instruments and the balance between body and air, it strikes a sweet spot in particular with the DX200/Amp4.

I get why some people said the IE800S was not as exciting as they'd want but it's exactly what strikes me as good with this IEM : there is a lot of realism in the presentation. Soundstage is wide, but not in a "wow" wide, it's realistic and balanced in width, height and depth (I wished there was a tad more depth to be fair). Bass are impactful but not thunderous and overpowering like the Vega can be. Mids are neither forward nor laid back (although probably lean a tad towards the latter, I think it's a conscious choice to highlight just the right way the bass and treble. Anyway mids stand out in their own way by virtue of their balance and the great timbre richness and accuracy). Treble are extended and detailed, but not standing out as much as the S-EM9 did, which was a tad to much for me (granted, I am not a treble head) in the sense it was so clear it "stole the show" sometimes.

I think those IEMs are a good deal even at the asking price, in particular given the TOTL prices have gone crazy this past two years...

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #658 of 1,278
Got my hands and ears on IE800 loaner, and just finished a comparison write up between IE800 and IE800S, the missing link of my original IE800S review.

Sennheiser IE800 vs IE800S comparison.

sennheiser_ie800_vs_ie800s-05.jpg

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #659 of 1,278
Jan 8, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #660 of 1,278
Good review and comparison Twister. I did measure S 3.5 cable 6 inches longer (lower part) when I received it and included photo on here.

Didn't check that, was only focusing on the part of the cable above the y-splitter :wink: I figured, people were curious about over-the-ear wire up fit, since I can image those with big heads might have a problem with it (carried over from ie800 to ie800s). But that's actually good they made the cable longer. For example, when you are dealing with 500g WM1Z and have to keep it somewhere in a deep pocket, extra cable length, either 3.5mm or 4.4mm, would be only welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back