The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Dec 25, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #618 of 1,278
Dec 26, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #619 of 1,278
My IE800S review is up!!! .....

Thanks for the insights.
Interesting as I thought Comply may have used Sennheiser's proprietary nozzles for the ie800, nice to see a clip included.
"Comply tips are the standard ones, with a typical thick inner rubber core, going over a short nozzle stub of IE800S and staying secure without a problem"
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 8.43.36 AM.png

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #621 of 1,278
I've tried different types of Comply tips and have never found one I've liked. They fit well but noticeably alter the sound. Therefore, I wish Sennheiser designed their own tip and put the effort to minimize the sound impact.

Dec 26, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #622 of 1,278
I've tried different types of Comply tips and have never found one I've liked. They fit well but noticeably alter the sound. Therefore, I wish Sennheiser designed their own tip and put the effort to minimize the sound impact.

Foam will always change the sound a bit.

the best comfort / sound ratio I found so far has been with Mandarin tips, which are quite nice!

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #624 of 1,278
@twister6 Great in depth review, which helped me articulate what I have come to love with the IE800S for the past month, you totally nailed it there for me it sums it up so well :

IE800S has an impressive coherent tuning with a very natural and smooth tonality that has a mildly v-shaped sound signature and a bit laidback presentation where mids are just slightly pulled back. What strikes me the most about the tuning is the combination of transparency and resolution while still being smooth and natural in tonality with a nice body to the sound that gives it a touch of a pleasant organic warmth.

Also +1 on the Vega / IE800S comparo, dead on!
I like the IE800S tuning better, I won't keep the Vega by the way.
I would if I had a wider range of gear (can't justify to myself to collect TOTLs) and if I didn't do most of my IEM listening at night.

There are downside to the form factor, cable and all but the footprint is so light, you forget them and this on top of the tuning makes the IE800S quite a proposition :) ... Vega are not big by any standard but they feel that way after using the IE800S!

Foam will always change the sound a bit. the best comfort / sound ratio I found so far has been with Mandarin tips, which are quite nice!

I tried them and it's my pick of choice with the Vega but I prefered the bundled silicones of the IE800S this time. Plus sometimes the mandarinEs would be stuck in my ear when I pulled them, the stem on the IE is so short...

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #625 of 1,278
Do you have a link to these and do they definitely work with the IE800S?

They work, not definitely, but they work. ie800 has one of the shortest bores out there, so their included tips might work better, but Mandarin tips also work. I'm not sure exactly who, but a lot of shops are selling them.

@twister6 Great in depth review, which helped me articulate what I have come to love with the IE800S for the past month, you totally nailed it there for me it sums it up so well :

Also +1 on the Vega / IE800S comparo, dead on!
I like the IE800S tuning better, I won't keep the Vega by the way.
I would if I had a wider range of gear (can't justify to myself to collect TOTLs) and if I didn't do most of my IEM listening at night.

There are downside to the form factor, cable and all but the footprint is so light, you forget them and this on top of the tuning makes the IE800S quite a proposition :) ... Vega are not big by any standard but they feel that way after using the IE800S!

I tried them and it's my pick of choice with the Vega but I prefered the bundled silicones of the IE800S this time. Plus sometimes the mandarinEs would be stuck in my ear when I pulled them, the stem on the IE is so short...

Welp, I agree aoout that one, it also happened to me a few times, even with spinfits, but still, it may be an option for some.

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #626 of 1,278
I tried these yesterday. I could have gotten a good Boxing Day deal here in Toronto where I visit.

I could not pull the trigger. The sound was good but not a big step up from the Flare PROs that are my daily bread. (I was not sure the step was 'up' at all. Treble was certainly crisp. I would have to listen from my LPG to make a true comparison.)

But the form factor was abominable. This was Sennheiser's second time around and their opportunity to get it right. They did not - and for no obvious good reason other than apparent stubbornness in the design room. They left the length above the Y-splitter too short again. There is no running the cables 'over the ears' for big-headed dudes like me. Hence the microphonics are terrible.

What a shame. Pass for now.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #627 of 1,278
I tried these yesterday. I could have gotten a good Boxing Day deal here in Toronto where I visit.

I could not pull the trigger. The sound was good but not a big step up from the Flare PROs that are my daily bread. (I was not sure the step was 'up' at all. Treble was certainly crisp. I would have to listen from my LPG to make a true comparison.)

But the form factor was abominable. This was Sennheiser's second time around and their opportunity to get it right. They did not - and for no obvious good reason other than apparent stubbornness in the design room. They left the length above the Y-splitter too short again. There is no running the cables 'over the ears' for big-headed dudes like me. Hence the microphonics are terrible.

What a shame. Pass for now.
It appears you are happy with what you have and that is a good thing...

Dec 27, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #628 of 1,278
I auditioned these today but while the sound signature is more balanced than the IE800 I had, I did not find them engaging at all. I prefer my Sony XBA-N3AP by a mile. I don't know why Sennheiser has opted to make IE800 boring.

Dec 27, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #629 of 1,278
I auditioned these today but while the sound signature is more balanced than the IE800 I had, I did not find them engaging at all. I prefer my Sony XBA-N3AP by a mile. I don't know why Sennheiser has opted to make IE800 boring.

That is quite an accomplishment, as the N3AP, for all its bass IMO really is rather sedate (in a mostly good way). How did you feel about the presence region of ie800s? This is my main gripe with N3 (and probably contributes to my other gripe of strings timbre), that it is a little too forward and can get a tad 'honky'.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #630 of 1,278

Do you like enforced bass that is not on the recording? Just wondering how you could think ie800s boring! Try a Hugo II and its a fantastic exciting and detailed listen.

All opinions of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back