The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Dec 15, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #586 of 1,278
:smiley: So true what you say about successor vs previous, many many reviewers are like this. And I always wonder, why they didn't point those "defects" on the original review??

On one side I agree: the IE 800 had the same exact issues but it wasn't pointed out in it's review.

On the other side I don't: If it was such a prevalent issue on the previous version, then wouldn't it only be logical for Sennhieser to just fix it? It only makes sense to point out the issue more on the second revision.

Still more of the reviewers fault for keeping the reviews all equal regardless of timeline.

Dec 16, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #587 of 1,278
On one side I agree: the IE 800 had the same exact issues but it wasn't pointed out in it's review.

On the other side I don't: If it was such a prevalent issue on the previous version, then wouldn't it only be logical for Sennhieser to just fix it? It only makes sense to point out the issue more on the second revision.

Still more of the reviewers fault for keeping the reviews all equal regardless of timeline.

The original had only two things I would ever call issues

- the cable and fit thing - which was addressed quickly, and with elegance

- The mids which were a tad recessed for some. I liked those trebles and bass notes, and I actually liked the midrange very much.

The fact they made it better doesn't need to mean that the original was bad, they just made an amazing IEM even better, at least in my view :darthsmile:

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #589 of 1,278
Reading WhatHifi review, I'd say it looks more like a first impressions piece than an in depth time spent with the product (quite short...).

This item "rather a quelled dynamic range: large-scale shifts are delivered without the attack they deserve, while more modest wavering in volume lack their due expression." is the opposite of what I have found to be a strength of the S (and was also the original IE800 strongsuit).

Last but not least there is no detail about source (they drop Chord Hugo at one point but...), if it was run balanced or single ended etc... Obviously not up to par with what they usually write to begin with.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #591 of 1,278
What a great album that is!

BTW, has anybody made a comparative measurement of IE800 vs IE800S frequency response yet? Did I miss that post?
I appreciate you guys mentioning this album..never heard them and just checked it out, good stuff.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #592 of 1,278
Reading WhatHifi review, I'd say it looks more like a first impressions piece than an in depth time spent with the product (quite short...).

This item "rather a quelled dynamic range: large-scale shifts are delivered without the attack they deserve, while more modest wavering in volume lack their due expression." is the opposite of what I have found to be a strength of the S (and was also the original IE800 strongsuit).

Last but not least there is no detail about source (they drop Chord Hugo at one point but...), if it was run balanced or single ended etc... Obviously not up to par with what they usually write to begin with.

I really doubt any high end IEM lacks attack and dynamics, I mean, I heard say, 1/4 to 1/2 of the current flagships and none lacked dynamics. Some can be better and some can be less good, but all should have excellent dynamics and ADSR in general. The only things I heard with problems were ~100$ IEMs sometimes, and even those can be amazing at times.

The original ie800 is one of the best things out there for dynamic range, I'm fairly sensitive to it, and ie800 really delivers on it. Quiet sounds quiet, loud sounds loud, things have good contrast and dynamics.

Dec 19, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #593 of 1,278
Edit: I would like to add that there was no noticeable difference between balanced and single ended even though the initial volume increase fooled me.

In general, this has been my experience comparing single ended vs balanced with IEMs.

With home audio, it’s a different story and I’ve always favored balanced connections, especially if I had to use longer interconnects, say, between my preamp and power amp.

I’m considering getting the 800S because of the balanced design, but I really like my 800 as is. The only issue I have with them is I have to be careful removing them from my ears or else the tips come off.

My reference IEM is still the customized version of the FI-BA-SS that final made for A&K, the AKR02. The detail of the upper frequencies is so much to my liking, but alas, they don’t have the bass of the 800.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #595 of 1,278
Ahaha WhatHifi? They don’t know schiit, this is the problem I have with them, one year they review something let’s say an amp and it’s perfect then the successor model amp comes out and now suddenly the previous unit has flaws in it’s bass.:thinking:

I have just read this review on IE800S and I saw “rolled off treble” there is no need to carry on reading. They should get someone who knows what they are talking about.

One of the strengths of the ie800/ie800S is the treble extension.

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #596 of 1,278

I don't know about the S version but, depending on point of view and preferences, it could very well be be said that its isolated and exaggeratedly elevated top end is one of the IE800's main weakness.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #597 of 1,278
I don't know about the S version but, depending on point of view and preferences, it could very well be be said that its isolated and exaggeratedly elevated top end is one of the IE800's main weakness.

Can't agree with this. I find the trebles great. To each his own ...

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #598 of 1,278

Agreed. I always come back to ie800 to check out some of that sweet treble.

I disagree, that treble extension is one of its biggest strengths. Why not get SE846, Xelento or another Smooth high-end IEM if you prefer less treble?

Can't agree with this. I find the trebles great. To each his own ...

I am also in agreement, the treble is super awesome!

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #599 of 1,278

You think every iem should be rolled off and no choice for those that want an iem where cymbals sound like they do live? Why do you think the ie800 has sold as many as it has?

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #600 of 1,278
You think every iem should be rolled off and no choice for those that want an iem where cymbals sound like they do live? Why do you think the ie800 has sold as many as it has?

@AndrewH13 knows what he's talking about!

ie800 is one of the best selling IEMs out there, like literally sold a LOT so far, so I think that they know their treble pretty right.

I really love this treble, and honestly, sometimes I find another siugnature that has more bass, which tends to romance me lately, but if it is missing that treble, it isn't as fun to listen to. After a while, missing the treble can be quite fatiguing for me, as my hearing keeps scanning for it :darthsmile:

I agree that there are awesome smooth IEMS out there, but their treble is never their strength, while with ie800, they are really really vivid, realistic and vibrant. You can really say that ie800's treble is its strength, and a great strength at that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back