The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Nov 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #482 of 1,278
That price tag for a pair of IEM's is just too much. I'll wait until the technology comes trickling down to more sensibly priced IEM's.

Have you been following other flagship iem prices? :wink: IE800S probably one of the cheapest, since average price of a flagship c/iem is around $2k now.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #483 of 1,278
Have you been following other flagship iem prices? :wink: IE800S probably one of the cheapest, since average price of a flagship c/iem is around $2k now.
That's downright insane lol. I own a ZX300 and some KLipsch X10 IEM's and will be upgrading to the Gradio GR10E and perhaps some Sennheiser HD660S. But people around me already claim I'm crazy and I cannot blame them. For me, the only way I could justify spending 1000 dollars or upwards on IEM's, would be if I were filthy rich. But last time I checked I'm still middle class :)

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #484 of 1,278
But last time I checked I'm still middle class :)
eeeeeeeeew

giphy (2).gif

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #486 of 1,278
Contacted Senn....no ie800s mic cable in the works yet...contacted various 3rd party custom cable companies, no as well.

I think 3rd parties won't make it, probably because #1: ie800s terminates at the Y and not the earpiece so cables would have to be completely redesigned and #2. remote mics are not that easy to make if they want to be compatible with iOS/Android.
woa another CS staff from senn told me RCS will work, how come?

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #488 of 1,278
That price tag for a pair of IEM's is just too much. I'll wait until the technology comes trickling down to more sensibly priced IEM's.

In absolute terms you're right, most people I know have no idea how pricey this hobby can get and would find me crazy if they knew.

The recent 50 to 100% increase in TOTL prices is even crazier but I'll say this to people who are shocked : have you listened to those ? How does that make you feel ? How many hours a year are you using it ? Also I can get into "do you smoke ? do you know how much you spend on cigarettes ?" or other hobbies : people are less shocked that good lenses are not cheap but photography can get pricey :p

Not to mention music is medicine for the soul, when I go through difficult times music was always a great way to unwind :)
You can argue you can still enjoy music out of lower end options, and that's true until you've heard how music can sound out of a good source to great IEMs or headphones. Hard to go back...
Let people try your gear when they never have and mostly their jaw drops at how better it sounds :D

Taken out of context, those prices are insane. I myself can't justify owning several at once (why I am selling Vega). One pair of IEM and one open back is my usual duo.

Yes, margins are probably quite high, although audiophile crowd is widening it's still a niche market prices are bound to be like this.
Bring more to the fold, lower prices would probably happen! (yeah let's bring more to this rabbit hole, I have started with 100$ IEMs, a year later 350 then 500 then 1K and more...)

About technology, there are some interesting things happening in mainstream audio too, I don't know what they're worth but : https://www.revols.com/ is a custom fit monitor that you mold to your ears upon first use at home in 60s. Future is looking interesting :)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #489 of 1,278
Haha I got into a conversation about hobbies with a co-worker the other day, and I mentioned my love for good audio. I brought in a pair of RS2e today, and he was absolutely blown away by the sound. When I told him the MSRP, he was floored.

I didn't mention how much I've spent on IEMs, he'd probably think I was crazy.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #491 of 1,278
In absolute terms you're right, most people I know have no idea how pricey this hobby can get and would find me crazy if they knew.

The recent 50 to 100% increase in TOTL prices is even crazier but I'll say this to people who are shocked : have you listened to those ? How does that make you feel ? How many hours a year are you using it ? Also I can get into "do you smoke ? do you know how much you spend on cigarettes ?" or other hobbies : people are less shocked that good lenses are not cheap but photography can get pricey :p

Not to mention music is medicine for the soul, when I go through difficult times music was always a great way to unwind :)
You can argue you can still enjoy music out of lower end options, and that's true until you've heard how music can sound out of a good source to great IEMs or headphones. Hard to go back...
Let people try your gear when they never have and mostly their jaw drops at how better it sounds :D

Taken out of context, those prices are insane. I myself can't justify owning several at once (why I am selling Vega). One pair of IEM and one open back is my usual duo.

Yes, margins are probably quite high, although audiophile crowd is widening it's still a niche market prices are bound to be like this.
Bring more to the fold, lower prices would probably happen! (yeah let's bring more to this rabbit hole, I have started with 100$ IEMs, a year later 350 then 500 then 1K and more...)

About technology, there are some interesting things happening in mainstream audio too, I don't know what they're worth but : https://www.revols.com/ is a custom fit monitor that you mold to your ears upon first use at home in 60s. Future is looking interesting :)
That was a nice read :)

My main problem with buying such expensive IEM's though, is not because I don't think the sound will be worth it. But more because an IEM will always be perceived as something tiny and 'replaceable' for most people and even myself when I don't think of the price: the small form factor- and non-detachable cable in this case- makes them easier to be overlooked, handled roughly, and to get broken,.;
I consciously need to remind myself that these Kilipsch X10's of mine (which are nowhere near the Senn's price) are not some cheap junk i can throw around. My ath-AD1000X however, I always carefully place on its official headphone stand, brush the velour etc,... :)

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #492 of 1,278
woa another CS staff from senn told me RCS will work, how come?

huh, strange. I think at least 2 people on this thread so far have said the RCS dosen't work with the ie800s.

I don't have either atm so can't test :/

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #493 of 1,278
huh, strange. I think at least 2 people on this thread so far have said the RCS dosen't work with the ie800s.
I don't have either atm so can't test :/
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 4.13.21 PM.png
Was looking at something similar to this for my ie800s but without a mic sort of makes it useless and the connection is closer to the source....dah....anyway bit the bullet on the RCS800...if there's a local dealer, maybe Bay Bloor, get a demo of the "S"s maybe I can try it out....... but....soundblast75 already more or less confirmed it did not......
It doesnt work at all and they're not bringing a new one yet.........

but... in theory the RCS-800 should only be combining the segregated grounds of the 2.5mm jack, defeating the balanced configuration and work accordingly?
mic remote.png

ie800S
IE_800_S_Sennheiser cables.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #494 of 1,278
That was a nice read :)

My main problem with buying such expensive IEM's though, is not because I don't think the sound will be worth it. But more because an IEM will always be perceived as something tiny and 'replaceable' for most people and even myself when I don't think of the price: the small form factor- and non-detachable cable in this case- makes them easier to be overlooked, handled roughly, and to get broken,.;
I consciously need to remind myself that these Kilipsch X10's of mine (which are nowhere near the Senn's price) are not some cheap junk i can throw around. My ath-AD1000X however, I always carefully place on its official headphone stand, brush the velour etc,... :)

Well I do understand this about IEMs but I am not a good example, as use IEMs more than full size and I am a bit of maniac with gear and never lost, break any of it even lower value. But I do get your point, if you take 1K+ IEMs, it’s a good thing it’s not common knowledge of much those cost otherwise you couldn’t use them in the public transportation or the street without the fear of getting mugged for them. Imagine someone with a 3.5K Tia Fourte, I’d probably insure it! (And there is still a threshold I won’t / can’t reasonably cross)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back