The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Nov 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #421 of 1,278
That's a very good question, I'm thinking whether I could just have the IE800S as my only HP/IEM and just use them all the time. I've got the Sony MDR-Z1R and MDR-1000X here right now but maybe these IEMs could so it all?
if they sound full and have good soundstage they can be great little alternative

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #422 of 1,278
does ie800s up to Layla ii? I am using ie800 and thinking of upgrade to Layla ii for balanced input reason. ie800s also have balanced option as well. Has anyone ever compare balanced between the two?

audiophile noob here, what does balanced mean? I hear the ie800s, Dita Dream, etc. talking about balanced cables or something. What does that mean?

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #423 of 1,278
audiophile noob here, what does balanced mean? I hear the ie800s, Dita Dream, etc. talking about balanced cables or something. What does that mean?

It is a long long story.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/why-balanced-headphone-amps.539458/

Basically, some people hear Balanced to be better, and use it as often as possible, there are agnostics or skeptics, and there are people who don't want Balanced.

Some DAPs and AMPs have a better AMP stage for the Balanced part, while others sound the same, it is very very complex of a subject. You want to have the option if it is possible, just for the peace of mind. I don't know for sure yet, no real opinion on this, I will use whatever is simpler, I barely have any Balanced cables since most of my equipment is SE.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #424 of 1,278
It is a long long story.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/why-balanced-headphone-amps.539458/

Basically, some people hear Balanced to be better, and use it as often as possible, there are agnostics or skeptics, and there are people who don't want Balanced.

Some DAPs and AMPs have a better AMP stage for the Balanced part, while others sound the same, it is very very complex of a subject. You want to have the option if it is possible, just for the peace of mind. I don't know for sure yet, no real opinion on this, I will use whatever is simpler, I barely have any Balanced cables since most of my equipment is SE.

ahhh I see. So I see that the cables for the ie800s are
3.5 mm Standard
2.5 mm balanced
4.4 mm balanced Pentaconn

I see myself using the 3.5mm 99% of the time, but I noticed the other ones are balanced. Do the 3.5mm typically not need "balancing" ? Or am I missing a fundamental knowledge of cable standards?

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #425 of 1,278
3.5 mm Standard
2.5 mm balanced

I see myself using the 3.5mm 99% of the time, but I noticed the other ones are balanced. Do the 3.5mm typically not need "balancing" ? Or am I missing a fundamental knowledge of cable standards?

The reason there is no 3.5mm balanced cable included is because they only come in 2.5 and 4.4mm variants.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #426 of 1,278
My amp has a 3.5mm balanced. But my understanding is that this is rare because the two aren't compatible and plugging in a se into a balanced could cause damage to the amp. So most choose not to use 3.5mm to stop accidents happening... I could be wrong.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #427 of 1,278
3.5 mm Standard
2.5 mm balanced

My amp has a 3.5mm balanced. But my understanding is that this is rare because the two aren't compatible and plugging in a se into a balanced could cause damage to the amp. So most choose not to use 3.5mm to stop accidents happening... I could be wrong.

Placing SE cables into balanced AMPs can break the AMP and the item that is powered, so the standard is to not use 3.5 as Balanced, only SE>

@7onyMustDive , I can't say whether you will need Balanced. I tend to have a preference for 3.5mm for simplicity, but some people love Balanced, everyone should use whatever is simpler to the,.

I know that having the option is always awesome, the fact Senn includes all is the best way to satisfy everyone!

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #428 of 1,278
I might have missed this in the thread, but does anyone know when this arrives in the US? I put in my order last month with Moon Audio as they had it available on their website, but they still haven't received any shipments yet. I believe they were supposed to get some in stock last week, but that didn't happen.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #430 of 1,278
I might have missed this in the thread, but does anyone know when this arrives in the US? I put in my order last month with Moon Audio as they had it available on their website, but they still haven't received any shipments yet. I believe they were supposed to get some in stock last week, but that didn't happen.
I've had mine for a few days now. Direct from Senn, though

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #431 of 1,278
Can anyone tell me if these have enough room between the y-split and the earphone to be worn over the ear?
For me yes, and it's the best and only way to wear them.

Other people say no, apparently.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #433 of 1,278
Can anyone tell me if these have enough room between the y-split and the earphone to be worn over the ear?

They certainly aren't universal over ear. I have no problem, but i am small. Will depend on your head. However, on the S the lower part of the cable is longer, so if you had a problem with the original reaching your dap when over ear, the S is roughly 6" longer.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #434 of 1,278
I've had mine for a few days now. Direct from Senn, though

Thanks for the info. As it's been said before, this Sennheiser refresh across all model lines has renewed significant interest by just making minor cosmetic changes and driver tuning. I have to say that's a brilliant business model. It reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons when Lisa was trying to bring down the Malibu Stacy company by introducing her own doll aimed at girl empowerment. The Malibu Stacy company responded by putting a new Malibu Stacy doll on the shelves where the only change was a new hat. "Look, don't be fooled. She's just a regular Malibu Stacy with a stupid cheap hat. She still embodies all the same awful stereotypes as before," Lisa cries. "But she has a new hat! I want it, I want it, I want it."

Alas, I still want the new Malibu Stacy doll though...err, I mean the new IE800S.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #435 of 1,278
Can you wear the regular ie800 over ear? Can the cable still reach your dap if it's in your pocket wearing them that way?

Yes, but the ie800S takes care of the pocket issue for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back