The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Nov 17, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,126 of 1,273
Like many before me I'm sure, I am deciding between the IE800S and the Shure SE846.

There is no opportunity for me to demo them both so will likely buy blind and hope for the best lol

I'm not a critical listener, just after an engaging fun sounding pair. Mostly listen to EDM, some modern pop and some classic motown and soul. I was a fan of the HD25 II and HD660s so leaning towards Sennheiser.

Demoed the Atlas and really liked it but just can't drop that kind of money on one set, so looked for other options and decided it was going to be between these two.

Those that have had both or tried both, which would you say is more closer to the Campfire Atlas sound?

I have both the Shure 846 and the Sennheiser 800S
I swap between them every one or two months
To my ears they are both really great.

They are differently voiced and soundwise both have some pros and cons over the other in different areas.

You can't go wrong with either of them

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #1,127 of 1,273
A friend of mine pushed the foam (hard) in the IE800S case- admittedly it is somewhat tempting. But now his imprint is on there for what seems like it will be forever. Lol, I'm mad but on the other hand cannot be mad at him.
Is there anything I could do to level the surface again? It's not like it decreases functionality of the case, but once you see it, you cannot unsee it. :triportsad:

I'm very careful with all of my things, but not many people seem to feel the same about their material things. My fault for bragging about my IEMs I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #1,128 of 1,273
A friend of mine pushed the foam (hard) in the IE800S case- admittedly it is somewhat tempting. But now his imprint is on there for what seems like it will be forever. Lol, I'm mad but on the other hand cannot be mad at him.
Is there anything I could do to level the surface again? It's not like it decreases functionality of the case, but once you see it, you cannot unsee it. :triportsad:

I'm very careful with all of my things, but not many people seem to feel the same about their material things. My fault for bragging about my IEMs I guess.
Funny as I have never used the stock carry case that comes with the 800S. I use the case of EX1000 or sometimes, a pelican case to bring them.

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,129 of 1,273
After selling my IE800 a couple years ago, the 800S have now been in the house for about a week now. No regrets here, these are keepers.

Before pulling the trigger on the 800S, the Beyerdynamic T1 2nd gen were sitting near the top of my list. Not having listened to T1, I'm wondering about their sound signature vis a vis the 800S. Any comments on this?

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,130 of 1,273
Wrong thread..?

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #1,131 of 1,273
I'm completely satisfied with these IEMs after 2 (?) months of frequent use. I'm not the person to use many IEMs and I think these are up to the task of serving as a day-to-day IEM (save bedtime, for which I use Klipsch x10).

BUT: has anyone had these destroyed by rain yet?
This is what I'm most worried about. 50% of my playtime is while walking. Sometimes you cannot feel the rain coming, sometimes it hits you and you cannot pop them out. And these are vented, double-vented...

Granted, I use an umbrella mostly, and during cold weather tuck a beanie deep over my ears to protect the IEMs.

And the design of the IE800S, for me, makes that the IEMs slope downwards, making it harder for rain to enter.

But still, a perfect little drop with a hard blow of wind could possibly allow water to access the compartment...

What are your experiences with the IE800S in rainy conditions ( slight to heavy)?

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #1,132 of 1,273
After owning IE800 for a month, I'm disappointed with IE800. Its sound quality is not bad but it has too much cable noise. You can hear lots of noise when you touch its cable because the cable is made out of thin rubber material. I find it really disturbing.

When I use Sony IEMs with MUC cable, I don't hear this much noise so I'm sticking with Sony XBA H3.

Overall, IE800 is not better than my Sony XBA H3 which I bought for only $80. I'll never buy anything from Sennheiser again.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #1,133 of 1,273
After owning IE800 for a month, I'm disappointed with IE800. Its sound quality is not bad but it has too much cable noise. You can hear lots of noise when you touch its cable because the cable is made out of thin rubber material. I find it really disturbing.

When I use Sony IEMs with MUC cable, I don't hear this much noise so I'm sticking with Sony XBA H3.

Overall, IE800 is not better than my Sony XBA H3 which I bought for only $80. I'll never buy anything from Sennheiser again.
Why don't you use a cable clip?
And you're talking about the old IE800 or the new IE800S?

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,134 of 1,273
old IE800. cable clip won't help. IE800's cable is made out of thin rubber.. you'll hear lots of noise when you touch it.

IE800s isn't better. IE800s reviewer said the same thing about cable noise.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/sennheiser/ie-800-s/review

Against
  • Lack punch and enthusiasm
  • Disappointing dynamics
  • Lots of cable noise
"There’s also an irritating amount of cable noise, which is impossible to ignore and to negate this you must sit absolutely still. For anyone planning to use the IE 800 S on the move, it is a disappointing return for what is a hefty wedge of money"

When you're paying $700+ for IEMs, there should be no cable noise. I think IE800, IE800s are complete failures.. they have poor non-detachable cables.

I recommend everyone to get Sony IEMs instead. Sony XBA-300 is much better than IE800.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,135 of 1,273
old IE800. cable clip won't help. IE800's cable is made out of thin rubber.. you'll hear noise lots of noise when you touch it.

IE800s isn't better. IE800s reviewer said the same thing about IE800s.

Against
  • Disappointing dynamics
  • Lots of cable noise

When you're paying $700+ for IEMs, there should be no cable noise. I think IE800, IE800s are complete failures.. they have poor non-detachable cables.

I recommend everyone to get Sony IEMs instead. Sony XBA-300 is much better than IE800.
Yes, IE800S has the same problem with microphonics but for me, the cable clip is the solution.
Regarding that review, I can't say the same except for the cable noise.
I also have the N3 from Sony which is an improvement over H3 but IE800S is simply superior.

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #1,136 of 1,273
old IE800. cable clip won't help. IE800's cable is made out of thin rubber.. you'll hear lots of noise when you touch it.

IE800s isn't better. IE800s reviewer said the same thing about cable noise.

Against
  • Disappointing dynamics
  • Lots of cable noise

Having lived with IEMs as a daily companion for ten years, I'm no stranger to micro phonics. But the IE800S is not the worst, far from it

After a while I've learned to tuck the cable beneath my jacket, to hook a part of the cable over a button, to seal the cable in-between the button-array of a shirt or polo shirt...
It's also important to leave room for the cable right above your chest, so you don't tug on it.

All in all, I can say that the IE800S' cable noise is barely there for me, even while walking. And I have trouble understanding why so many people feel so strongly about it. Perhaps I'm more experienced in overcoming this little issue.

By the way; I have not used the IE800 (old model), but as the cable is stiffer than the IE800S, it would surprise me if microphonics were equal between the two. Normally, microphonics for the IE800S (new) should be far less, as this is what a more flexible cable tends to absorb, instead of projecting it over the length of the cable like a stiffer cable does.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,137 of 1,273
After spending most of my time with these on balanced, I've now retried the 3.5mm cable.
I'm not sure if it's just my brain picking up on something different, but right now I feel the 3.5mm sounds better to my ears.
Less separation yes, more frontal yes. But more overall body and coherence. Though less deep.

I'll stick to it for some time, and find out if it was just my brain... :)

Jan 12, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #1,138 of 1,273
After spending most of my time with these on balanced, I've now retried the 3.5mm cable.
I'm not sure if it's just my brain picking up on something different, but right now I feel the 3.5mm sounds better to my ears.
Less separation yes, more frontal yes. But more overall body and coherence. Though less deep.

May I ask you want source did you use for the balanced connection and for the single ended connection?
The wire only (4.4mm vs 3.5mm) is not sufficient for the differences. I mean: you connect the jack (balanced or single ended) to the amp which is for sure different!
The real difference has to be located on the amp design.
Just to give you an example: I have the iBasso DX220 and the IE800S connected with the balanced cable.
I have three different scenarios depending on the amp module:
1. With the AMP1MK2 and 2.5mm balanced cable the sound is good
2. With the AMP8 and 4.4mm the sound is very very good, much better that the previous point
3. With the AMP8-EX and 4.4mm the sound is stunning, more space, separation, air between instruments, etc etc.
The amp is the responsible.

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #1,139 of 1,273

Interesting, I had the same feeling using them with Sony ZX2 and the 2.5mm cable but I thought that has something to do with the lack of true balanced connection on ZX2, supporting only TRRS.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #1,140 of 1,273
May I ask you want source did you use for the balanced connection and for the single ended connection?
The wire only (4.4mm vs 3.5mm) is not sufficient for the differences. I mean: you connect the jack (balanced or single ended) to the amp which is for sure different!
The real difference has to be located on the amp design.
Just to give you an example: I have the iBasso DX220 and the IE800S connected with the balanced cable.
I have three different scenarios depending on the amp module:
1. With the AMP1MK2 and 2.5mm balanced cable the sound is good
2. With the AMP8 and 4.4mm the sound is very very good, much better that the previous point
3. With the AMP8-EX and 4.4mm the sound is stunning, more space, separation, air between instruments, etc etc.
The amp is the responsible.
Both outputs on Sony NW-ZX300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back