The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Mar 22, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #781 of 1,278
Is anyone able to comment on how the IE800S fit compared to the IE80? I have the IE80, and while I like it, I simply cannot get a good fit with the included silicone tips. I get a better fit with Comply, but the SQ takes a dip. If the IE800S fits similarly, that could be a deal breaker for me. I already have the Shure SE846 and find the fit to be rock solid.

Sounds like shallower fit might not work well for you, IE800/S is more shallow than IE80 due to the tiny nozzle.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #783 of 1,278
Is anyone able to comment on how the IE800S fit compared to the IE80? I have the IE80, and while I like it, I simply cannot get a good fit with the included silicone tips. I get a better fit with Comply, but the SQ takes a dip. If the IE800S fits similarly, that could be a deal breaker for me. I already have the Shure SE846 and find the fit to be rock solid.

I have better fit with IE800 than with IE80, because IE800 is smaller.

IE800's tips do get slippery if you don't wash them though, but lately this hasn't really been an issue either, just wipe them with a clean cloth :)

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #785 of 1,278
I also had a tougher time with the fit on the IE 80 S than IE 800. I actually never had such a problem with tips than with the IE 80 S, and had to really dig in the medium tips for it to seal at all. The IE 800 tips aren't a walk in the park either, but I can get it to work. Sennheiser needs to work on their tip ergonomics.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #787 of 1,278
Thanks for the replies, guys. I knows everybody's ears are different, so one person's good fit could be another's lousy one. I was just thinking if the IE80 could serve as a benchmark for comparison, I might be able to gauge how the IE800/S might fit me, since I don't know of any dealers in my area that would have a pair to try. (Nothing came up in the Sennheiser dealer search.) But it sounds like they are different enough that making a direct comparison would be tricky.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #788 of 1,278
Thanks for the replies, guys. I knows everybody's ears are different, so one person's good fit could be another's lousy one. I was just thinking if the IE80 could serve as a benchmark for comparison, I might be able to gauge how the IE800/S might fit me, since I don't know of any dealers in my area that would have a pair to try. (Nothing came up in the Sennheiser dealer search.) But it sounds like they are different enough that making a direct comparison would be tricky.

Very different from IE80,

Ie80 had a large bore, hard to insert deeply, very shallow typical fit, always pushed them back in, got best comfort with double flanged

IE800 has a deeper fit, inserts normal depth, only requires adjustments if your ears sweat and if they get slippery, wipe on shirt or paper, also wipe the tips, ready to use again without issues.

Sound is also extremely different, no actual similarities,

IE80 is bassy, somewhat smooth on the top end, no focus on instrument separation but very large soundstage size, amazing for a IEM.

Ie800 is V-shaped with energetic top end, a lot of sub-bass, not a lot of mid-bass (like IE80), recessed mids, strong treble with excellent glimmer, instrument separation is in top 5 of IEMs ever created regardless of price range, soundstage size is not large or spread, rather within normal boundaries, it is the instrument separation that makes it so impressive, very revealing

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #789 of 1,278
Are you asking about the IE800 or the IE800S? I think George is referring to the IE800 when giving sound comparisons.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #790 of 1,278
Are you asking about the IE800 or the IE800S? I think George is referring to the IE800 when giving sound comparisons.

Good point, I am refering to IE800 and not IE800S when writing the above, I think we should emphasize more that they are different. I am waiting on IE800S, only have the IE800 at this moment.

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #791 of 1,278
I was asking about the IE800S, actually, but I don't mind input on the IE800, either. I know the IE800S looks and sounds different from the IE800, but I thought they fit the same. Do they not? I've read enough to have a pretty good idea of the sonic differences; my primary concern is fit, since that has been an ongoing problem I have with the IE80.

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #792 of 1,278
@GiacomoHoldini Fit is strictly identical between the IE800S and IE800, as you pointed out signatures are different the S is much more balanced

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #794 of 1,278
Now...after around 120h burn-in and quite a lot listening hours i really have to admit they are some great DDs. Lovely uncomplicated and natural. They definitely will stay by my side for a while :)

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #795 of 1,278
Now...after around 120h burn-in and quite a lot listening hours i really have to admit they are some great DDs. Lovely uncomplicated and natural. They definitely will stay by my side for a while :)
The have moved very far up my favorites list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back