The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #676 of 1,273
I have the same problem, got them in October also. I have to look at the noseal. I only changed the tips twice. Once to try comply tips and put on the large round tips. My original ie800 had the same problem. But only once in a while.

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #677 of 1,273
I’ve had my I800S since launch sometime in October if I remember correctly, anyway I had started to notice this week that whenever I take out the earphones the silicone tips stay stuck in my ears 8-9 times out of 10 and I’ve had to ask the girlfriend take them out with tweasers.

I couldn’t understand why they have become so loose because I have stuck with medium round silicone since the first week and never changed them. When inspected the hard plastic tube that attaches to the earpieces nozzle the notches inside look worn. How could this be if I don’t swap them out, so I tried some other sized tips still in the box and of course they click right on with a good snap and don’t feel loose.

What to do? I can’t keep buying those expensive tips every 3 months...

The original IE800 I have never presented this issue actually.

Have you been changing the tips often?

I have the same problem, got them in October also. I have to look at the noseal. I only changed the tips twice. Once to try comply tips and put on the large round tips. My original ie800 had the same problem. But only once in a while.

This is curious, I have a pair of the original IE800, and it never presented this issue (?)

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #679 of 1,273
The original IE800 I have never presented this issue actually.
Have you been changing the tips often?
This is curious, I have a pair of the original IE800, and it never presented this issue (?)

your eartips are probably superglued with your earwax :p

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #680 of 1,273
your eartips are probably superglued with your earwax :p

Not a chance, I take them off and actually wash them from time to time, so they don't get slippery. Earwax actually makes them slippery instead of sticky

I had my ie800 for three years now, and they never caused anything like the issue above, the tips look like they did in the first day, even though I have been actually using them quite a lot

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #681 of 1,273
I had started to notice this week that whenever I take out the earphones the silicone tips stay stuck in my ears

Could be a manufacturing defect on those particular tips. Even a small deviation can cause problems with the locking mechanism. I had the same issue with my original IE 800 on the tips I used the most, others worked fine. Sennheiser exchanged them and the new ones newer developed this issue. On my IE 800 S it's the same, they never accidentally come off.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #684 of 1,273
Not a chance, I take them off and actually wash them from time to time, so they don't get slippery. Earwax actually makes them slippery instead of sticky

I had my ie800 for three years now, and they never caused anything like the issue above, the tips look like they did in the first day, even though I have been actually using them quite a lot

George, I was kidding in my reply... and glad to hear you wash your ears from time to time (see, kidding again :wink:)

But in all seriousness, and I mentioned that in my review, only time could tell how durable the connection is. People choose eartips size for the best seal, isolation, and secure fit. If they are wedged in your earcanal, some might need to use a bit of a force to pull those anchored earpieces out. So, after awhile it could go through a normal wear and tear.

For those who are having a problem and considering 2 year warranty (not an issue for new IE800S but could be for older IE800), try to get replacement eartips under warranty or just buy a replacement. The wear could be on both the nozzle and the plastic core of the tips. Replacing a tip can give you a little margin to restore the grip.

Also, Comply tips included with IE800S are pretty secure and should work with IE800 as well, so that's another alternative.

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #685 of 1,273
The IE 800 tips that I got replaced had a clear manufacturing defect - they didn't stay well on the plastic thingy they come on either.

One big reason I got the new version is because I'm very lucky with the tip fit. Absolutely perfect seal (very rare for me with silicon tips), but the downside is even heavier microphonics than normal.

At least Sennheiser changed their tip spare part pricing recently... They used to cost 20 euros per tip!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #686 of 1,273
I only changed them once when I first got them they haven’t been removed since apart from being stuck in my ear. They’re also really loose on the tip holder tray thing.

I’ll contact Sennheiser see what happens now.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #687 of 1,273
Funny this issue crops up, I ordered a set of medium replacement just in case (never had to change those during the 1+ year I had the IE800, just in case I loose them). Note that the spare part is labelled for IE800 no specific part refers to IE800 so I'd assume they're identical for medium, ref 552776).

I think wear will depend how you use them, especially do you go for deeper insertion, do you pull by the wire briskly, etc... I am a pure maniac with gear never had the issue but your mileage may vary.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #688 of 1,273
Funny this issue crops up, I ordered a set of medium replacement just in case (never had to change those during the 1+ year I had the IE800, just in case I loose them). Note that the spare part is labelled for IE800 no specific part refers to IE800 so I'd assume they're identical for medium, ref 552776).

I think wear will depend how you use them, especially do you go for deeper insertion, do you pull by the wire briskly, etc... I am a pure maniac with gear never had the issue but your mileage may vary.

I use shallow insertion and have never pulled them out by the wire.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #689 of 1,273
I use shallow insertion and have never pulled them out by the wire.

Then I hope it's a defect with the silicon not the tip holder...
I'll keep a look on this, and report if anything crops up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back