1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!

First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Next

Last
  1. twister6 Contributor
    Finally had a chance to run this sweep. I felt like I'm at the doctor's office, getting hearing exam :wink: Tried it with wire up over ear and wire down, using Symbio silicone/foam hybrid tips.

With ie800s there is definitely no drop from 1k to 3k. But I do hear clearly a peak at 5.4k, then a little drop and a lift to the next peak at 7.9k, a small drop and another lift between 9k-12.2k reaching 12.2k as a peak, and a sharp drop off after 12.5k. From there, I only hear a small blip around 15k.

Regarding cable microphonics, not sure if it was in reference to the original ie800, but with ie800s it's hardly noticeable. It's not the "quietest" cable I heard, but it's soft, pliable, no memory effect, and perhaps a faint microphonics with wire down which completely disappears with wire up over the ear.

The length of y-split cable section is 9.5". For my average size head it's more than enough for over-ear fit, and I still have room for chin-slider to go up about an inch.

Deftone and vrln like this.
  2. maii
    May I ask? I have remote microphone cord rcs800 of the ie800 I guess I can not use with ie800s right?

3. james444 Contributor
    Just my 2c, I auditioned the new IE800S at length today, including a direct A/B to my five year old IE800. To my ears, there's definitely a similar peak around 10kHz on both IEMs, though it's maybe a tad less pronounced on the IE800S. Hard to tell by ear whether it's the exact same treble peak, cause the lower ranges are tuned differently, resulting in stronger treble masking on the new model... i.e. the peak sounds less obvious here.

But thing is, a peak in that area pretty much always manifests itself as thinness / lack of note-weight with cymbals (another example being the Pinnacle P1, for instance). And that's easily identifyable with the right test rack, if you know what to listen for (no, it's not the "SSSSSSS" :wink:). So, long story short, the exact same timbre issue with cymbals is there on the iE800S, imho. Hence I personally tend to trust graphs that do show that peak, since they coincide with what I'm hearing.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Dobrescu George, Brooko and vrln like this.
  4. Dobrescu George
    I dont think so... I think ie800S is 4 pole there, while ie800 is 3 (?)

5. Dobrescu George
    Thank you for sharing this with us!

I really want a pair now!

Kunlun likes this.
  6. Deftone
    Interesting I tried another test I downloaded from the internet, I hear it to 19khz, I love how the treble is going strong even at that kind of height then it goes extremely quiet and I can’t hear anything at all. I also hear the same lifts and drops you hear earlier on in the treble.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  7. Deftone
    Are they not available in Romania yet?

8. Dobrescu George
    --

Not yet.... They are going to be, but AVstore is in the waiting line to receive one. I can't afford to go blind on this one since I have a responsibility as the Director of a Game Studio to invest most of my money towards our games :smile_phones:

kubig123 and Deftone like this.
  9. Deftone
    No problem with complys fitted but I don’t think the the microphonics are that bad anyway. Complys are good for fit but “ruin” the sound.

Waiting on some Snugs pro custom fit tips.

cooperpwc and Dobrescu George like this.
  10. khatch
    I tried mine with the Snugs Pro custom tips I had made for my IE800 and had a similar result - to much in the way of high frequency suppression, or at least they materially interfere with how I perceive the higher frequencies.

Dobrescu George likes this.
  11. jude Administrator
    @Brooko, the IE800S frequency response I posted is uncompensated.

Tyll later commented on this subject in this post on InnerFidelity (link) and in the post's accompanying video.

Again, that's an uncompensated measurement. If I use compensation I do note it with the measurement.

I don't recall anyone proclaiming this.

We've been putting together our measurement systems and techniques for nearly three years now, with a lot of help, knowledge, and feedback from industry mentors that include acoustical engineers and others who make their livings in/around audio measurements. Also, it's not surprising to me that our measurements don't always look like everyone else's you'll find around the web. I think some of the measurement commonalities you'll see between different enthusiast measurements on the web is due to commonly shared opinions and recommendations on how to build and tune do-it-yourself measurement rigs.

I'll post more details about our measurement systems here later, including discussion on some of the changes and additions we're making to them very soon.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  12. Brooko Contributor
    Cool - thanks I was unaware of that info from Tyll. It does make me wonder though - why the discrepancies - not only in what is being measured, but also in what people say they are hearing? I don’t have the IE800S so I can’t comment on what is right and what is not. And I always listen first, then try to measure so I understand what I’m hearing.

It just strikes me as weird that already there are several talking about hearing bumps at 10 kHz with sine sweeps - although that could partially be expectation bias. It’s also weird that you’re hearing none. Everyone is hearing what their graphs measure. I guess I’ll just have to get my hands on an IE800S and hear for myself.

I’d find it unlikely that Sennheiser would have possible big manufacturing deviations in a flagship IEM anyway.

Wouldn’t it be so much easier if everything was calibrated to one standard - and then we could get on with discussing the actual earphone rather than the differences in measuring rigs?
    :)

13. Brooko Contributor
    Oh and the reply on the $$$$$ rigs was directed at Kunlun. If you’ll recall - he thanked you for your measurements, while at the same time claiming everyone else’s was rubbish. I simply don’t think we have all the facts yet. My reply was to him - I just wanted to know about your calibration.

14. james444 Contributor
    IMHO, it's much more likely that deviations among listener's ear canal anatomies are the reason behind these discrepancies. Have you ever compared ear impressions for custom IEMs? There's quite a lot of variance. The statement about KEMAR having "anatomically correct ear canals" is a bit misleading in my book. Of course they're closer to human ear canals than perfectly cylindrical ones, but (like HRTF compensation targets) they're still based on averaged data, collected from individuals that may vary significantly.

For the time being, I'd propose to go with the hypothesis that people with rather straight (and possibly wide) ear canals may hear a 10kHz peak, while others with more curvy (and possibly narrower) ones may not. I definitely belong to the former group, so I'd fit into the scheme. Would be interesting to correlate people's listening impressions to their ear canal anatomies... :smile_phones:

Edit: in this context, it would also be interesting to see the old IE800 and the Pinnacle P1 measured on Jude's rig...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  15. kuebler
    Wow... I sit spechless und frightened...

Would you mind posting a larger photo (i.e. with more environment) of this Giger-class of monster?

First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Next

Last