The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
Jul 20, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #496 of 666
Stop hating on Bose. There aren't a better pair of headphones better than the QC2/3 for traveling on a plane. Comfortable and noise canceling and fits nicely into your briefcase. Other than traveling for they're not that good.

EDIT - Ok the ATH-ANC7 is probably the best choice. But other than that it's Bose.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #497 of 666
It would be nice if the title of this thread were changed to the worst phones other than Bose, Apple, and Sony portable phones. I'm so tired of reading about these over and over again. Doesn't anyone dislike a Grado, Beyer, Sennheiser, AKG besides the K701 or any other phone held in high esteem here?

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #498 of 666
Ultrasones. I've owned a pair of HFI-2200s, and tried out a couple of other models. Their build quality is absolute ****. They may be the least durable/most delicate headphones I've ever had on my head.

Confirming my suspicions, the 2200s headband cracked within a few days of purchase. They were a very good sounding headphone - extremely bright if you like that sort of thing.

Nearly every other headphone I've owned - Grados, AKGs, Sennheisers, Etys, etc... has exceeded my expectations. But I'm done with Ultrasone.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #499 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by giordun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop hating on Bose. There aren't a better pair of headphones better than the QC2/3 for traveling on a plane. Comfortable and noise canceling and fits nicely into your briefcase. Other than traveling for they're not that good.

EDIT - Ok the ATH-ANC7 is probably the best choice. But other than that it's Bose.

Disagree, I tried my quiet comfort 2's against my dt770s and the dt770's not only sound better, but lower ambient noise much more, even with the constant whine of an airconditioner

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #500 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm giving an anti-vote for bose, because its not overrated, everybody here hates bose, how could it be possibly overrated? The only one who is 'overrating' bose is the salesman, and he gets paid for it.

/lol...

Tell you guys what...

Teh iBuds will pummel every last headphone in this hobby out of the window
biggrin.gif

I'm being dead serious!
*runs........*

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #501 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be nice if the title of this thread were changed to the worst phones other than Bose, Apple, and Sony portable phones. I'm so tired of reading about these over and over again. Doesn't anyone dislike a Grado, Beyer, Sennheiser, AKG besides the K701 or any other phone held in high esteem here?

Well that pretty much means the thread could be titled "most overrated headphones in Bose, Apple, and Sony fans' opinion".

But yes, here's one model that's really overrated around here...

AKG K-81DJ. Unamplified their bass is still tolerable, amplified they become nauseatingly bassy. Stiff, heavy, barmy sound. Constrained yet violently aggressive.

And yes, this does contribute to making this thread have just about any headphones discussed in the forums
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #502 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be nice if the title of this thread were changed to the worst phones other than Bose, Apple, and Sony portable phones.

Apple phones will ALWAYS be on the worst list. They're plain crap. Period. That's why they come free with ipods. Actually that would be just about ANY stock open/non-isolating earbud.

As for Bose, they are overrated. They call themselves "high quality" and "audiophile" when there are much better phones on the market, some not as much. Bose are $40 headphones sold for 2x or 3x that.

I do have to disagree with the Skullcandy bashing though. For the in-ear models, they're great for their price range(low end IEM). For $20 or less they're not high end, but they're not bad either for those of us on a budget
frown.gif

As for the SC cans, at least they're true to the price. You're getting $40 or $50 cand for that price as opposed to(see Bose item above).

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #503 of 666
This can also be called The official "BOSE bashing" thread.

i say leave them alone...hardly anyone of us is gonna buy them.

IMO, Sony MDR series aint too good anyway..the V700 are just fine..bass is again emphasized.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #505 of 666
I think it's also going in the sense of a big deal is made about it. At least that's why I nominated Bose. After reading the treads here, I know I'm staying far away from Bose when I finally get some more $$$ to invest in GOOD headphones.

As someone said on another thread, BOSE is Buy Other Sound Equipment.

As for Skullcandy, I take the often unpopular road and defend them. Since they are cheap(as low as $9.99) they are not bad for a pair of "throw around" phones for yard work/working out etc.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #506 of 666
Most Grado headphones are overrated. They are too damn bright, and are the most fatiguing headphones I've heard. They do guitars well, and the bass can be great. But they are still HIGHLY flawed. Far from bad, but overrated nonetheless.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #507 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most Grado headphones are overrated. They are too damn bright, and are the most fatiguing headphones I've heard. They do guitars well, and the bass can be great. But they are still HIGHLY flawed. Far from bad, but overrated nonetheless.

Listen DT990 '05 if you want to hear a headphone that really is bright. Grados wont even touch that in treble sharpness.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #508 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen DT990 if you want to hear a headphone that really is bright. Grados wont even touch that in treble sharpness.

I'll be sure not to, now
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #509 of 666
Ety Er6i.
It just plainly uncomfortable and hurting my ear drum >_<
(plus they're expensive too)

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #510 of 666
For reasons that may range from wrong system matching to my own bias/over-expectation, GS1000, DT990 & K701 just didn't live up to all the hype. The GS1000 is just so bright and tonally thin, the DT990 is all muddy and coloured, and the K701 is sterile and boring....these are miles away from RAL cabled HD650 or stock PS-1....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back