The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Aug 4, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #828 of 1,036
Keep a pack of tissues ready if you're going to play Lost Odyssey.

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #830 of 1,036
Anyone here ever play Lost Odyssey on the Xbox360 during the last gen?

It was pretty dang good. If you want to play a bit of a hidden gem I'd check it out.

I played lost odyssey! Loved it. Xbox 360 exclusive best rpgs. The soundtrack was amazing

Lost odyessy OST:
Prologue
Battle theme - Excellent battle theme
Neverending journey

Xbox 360 has some fine RPGs:

Nier 1 - #1
Tales of vesperia
Lost Odessy
Mass effect 1/2/3/ - if you can call this an RPG.
Star ocean 4
FF13
kingdom of Reckoining - love this

I think thats the best order of last gens finest. But nothing beats Nier 1!

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #831 of 1,036
So did people sleep on Wild Arms 2 OST?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #832 of 1,036
I was looking for Japanese action RPGs like Terranigma and Alundra, and ran into this indie game. It's pretty much like Zelda, but it has it's own uniquess. Pretty interesting looking. Personally, I like retro style Japanese action RPGs with lots of puzzles.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #833 of 1,036
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabbitandbearstudios/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes

Eiyuden Chronicle is a spiritual successor of Suikoden, with the original director as well as many Suikoden devs.

The last 48 hours of the kickstarter are imminent, and so far as of this post has made over 4 million, and is the 6th most funded video game on the site.

If you love Suikoden, JRPGs, or just straight up 90s style rpgs with 2d sprites for the characters, in a beautiful 3d rendered world (ala Octopath and the like), PLEASE CONSIDER BACKING THIS.

Suikoden II is my fave game of all time, and this game is leaning heavily on that game in particular.

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #834 of 1,036
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabbitandbearstudios/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes

Eiyuden Chronicle is a spiritual successor of Suikoden, with the original director as well as many Suikoden devs.

The last 48 hours of the kickstarter are imminent, and so far as of this post has made over 4 million, and is the 6th most funded video game on the site.

If you love Suikoden, JRPGs, or just straight up 90s style rpgs with 2d sprites for the characters, in a beautiful 3d rendered world (ala Octopath and the like), PLEASE CONSIDER BACKING THIS.

Suikoden II is my fave game of all time, and this game is leaning heavily on that game in particular.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. Since we have the technology, I hope to see really beautiful 2D designs and game-play visuals. I hope JRPG gaming goes back how it was before the graphics and Western influence. Japanese games were all about gaming, and my preference is in gaming after seeing what better graphics done to the industry.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #835 of 1,036
Anyone here ever play Lost Odyssey on the Xbox360 during the last gen?

It was pretty dang good. If you want to play a bit of a hidden gem I'd check it out.
Good ol times!

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #836 of 1,036
So, I've been going through jrpgs lately. Finished Trials of Mana which I liked. I liked the presentation of the original SNES title in 3d. Nice art, and once I started getting a hang of the way the gameplay worked, I got into it. It's for those into simple rpgs as it's not too complex like Western RPGs. Story is cliche, and I don't find jrpgs all that great for stories in general. Stories feels like fillers they put in because they had to.

Currently playing Octopath Traveler and it is pretty engaging in terms of gameplay. It's not complex, but they kept it classic turn based. Managing characters arn't that complex either, which I prefer (some rpgs gets too complex that you spend a lot of time managing the characters). I like the presentation in retro 2d, but also this 2d presentation having some depth (like 3d, but no camera movement, so 2.5d?). Music composition really shines as it is quite good. It melds well to the mood of the stories throughout the game. After real time action rpg like Trials of Mana, turn based feels slow. There's really nothing revolutionary about this rpg, but the intent was to keep the presentation and mechanics like the classic jrpgs. It does feel like Final Fantasy 6.

I was a big fan of Bloodstained, I hope they make a true sequel (not the retro looking one).

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #837 of 1,036
So, I've been going through jrpgs lately. Finished Trials of Mana which I liked.
Trials of Mana was a nice surprise this year. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Just completed the Demon's Souls remake and thoroughly enjoyed it, although it's a bit short IMO. Looked fantastic in cinematic mode at a locked 30 fps, which I think is plenty for a slow game like this.

Now I'm going back to some PS4 titles I missed. I'm about 8 hours in 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and it's blowing me away. I hate visual novels so I was surprised to find this so easy to get into. It has just enough interaction to not be considered a VN, and the story is great so far.

The battles are like some new age tactical RPG where it's turnbased but units and missiles move in between cooldowns. It kind of solves the issue of unnecessary attack animations, which I didn't like in Fire Emblem.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #838 of 1,036
Finished Aegis Rim at around ~25 hours. Highly recommend it.

December JRPG releases:

- Shiren the Wanderer (Switch, PC)
- Dragon Quest XI S (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light (Switch)
- Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia (PS4)
- COLLECTION of SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND (Switch)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back