the official "Iowa sucks" thread
Mar 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 32
I used to live across the Mississippi from Burlington and the locals said Iowa was an acronym.

I diots
O ut
W andering
A round

Personally Iowa is much further up on the list of places I'd live compared to places like NJ or CA. Besides, they are one of the few states that recognize gay marriage.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 32
I used to think that Iowa sucked. When I lived in Minnesota, they said that state would fall into the Mississippi river were it not for how much Iowa sucked.

You know, if you ask someone who is from Iowa what defines Iowa, they invariably mention pigs. However, most people from outside Iowa think of corn. Which is better? For a friend from Iowa, it is capons, which is a chicken with its testicles removed. Who would do that? Why?

But underneath all the pig**** and ball-less birds, they are one of the most progressive states in the Union. So...

OP, you should visit some other states. Okay, it's no NY or NV or WI or whatever, but it is not as miserable as Missouri, or as terrible as TN, or etc. etc.

New Jersey, now there is a ****hole!

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #19 of 32
I "kind of" lived in Iowa for a year, Sioux City anyway. Everybody and his brother thinks he is a UFC fighter in that place, and it smells like a sewer. Hence the moniker, "Sewer City". On the upside they have a free concert every summer called "Saturday In The Park", where there are usually some good acts. BB King was playing the night I moved into town, and the following year Phil & Friends played along with Umphrey's Mcgee. Since apparently nobody knew who they were I was able to get up close and film the entire set for each band while chasing a camelback full of vodka with fresh lemonade. I guess it could've been worse there.... try living in Gallup, NM.

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, you should visit some other states. Okay, it's no NY or NV or WI or whatever, but it is not as miserable as Missouri, or as terrible as TN, or etc. etc.

I'm surprised you listed NV and WI as "good" states, unless I'm reading your post wrong.

From my experience, almost every state has good and bad parts. When people think of Illinois they probably think of Chicago which is a great city. Most of Northeastern Illinois is very populated and has many things to do. If you venture South or West you'd think you were in.. Iowa. Wisconsin is alright in certain parts (Madison, Milwaukee, etc.) but most of it is sprawling farmland.. I visit a tiny town of ~30 people occasionally and people are nice but very closed-minded and "let's all stare at the out of towners" if you know what I mean. New York has NYC but going Northwest in New York state is totally different. California's got LA and San Fransisco, etc. but if you go up to northern California you'd think you were somewhere totally different.

Now, Nebraska and Indiana, those are two states I feel have nothing to offer.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to University of Iowa, and Iowa City is a a nice fun college town.

Coming from a current student, i second this, but after your 2nd year it starts getting old and then the ignorant bunch of dudes that think they're King Leonidas and their friends are the rest of the Spartan army start sticking out you just start realizing how Iowa is so cut off from the real world. People here are very nice indeed, but also VERY fake. And you got kids from kirkwood telling everyone they go to Iowa..It's just sad sometimes.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're talking about Captain Kirk from Star Trek, as in William Shatner, then no, he's from Canada.

I'm talking about the character

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're talking about Captain Kirk from Star Trek, as in William Shatner, then no, he's from Canada.

Captain Kirk the character is from Iowa. Kate Mulgrew the actor (Captain Janeway) is from Iowa.

Despite the portrayal in the latest Star Trek movie, Iowa is neither a desert nor has random canyons. I'm also 100% sure that the writers of Lost have never been within 1000 miles of the state.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...or as terrible as TN, or etc. etc.

New Jersey, now there is a ****hole!

Hey I think TN is great. We're being overrun with illegal immigrants but so is most of the US unfortunately.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #27 of 32
i'm at Grinnell College and I think that Iowa's not so bad. I have my issues with it but those mostly stem from coming from the east coast. I just miss things like roads with names that aren't numbers, and that curve. And I miss food where the ingredients aren't things like snickers bars, fritos, and cornflakes.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by onionblaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I miss food where the ingredients aren't things like snickers bars, fritos, and cornflakes.

One thing I have noticed about food in Iowa is that people have a phobia for spicy things. For example, if I ask for habanero sauce at Qdoba they basically ask "are you sure? are you REALLY sure? YOU MIGHT DIE!!!!!" with a really strange look on their face. The "fiery chicken strips" served on campus taste no different than the regular kind, the jalapenos at Subway don't have any flavor, the hottest Pad Thai at the place around the corner is more like a "medium" anywhere else, and so on.

I've lived here my entire life so I must be different.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
North Carolina is a great place to live.

I used to work with a couple of travel techs from North Carolina, but I can't remember what part... if it helps, they couldn't pronounce the name of their native state. What part of North Carolina pronounces it "Norf Carolina"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back