The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Apr 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,506 of 3,640

Quote:
Threads on the Dynamat mods, pictures, and some analysis of the impact on sound:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/183338/grado-driver-mod

http://www.head-fi.org/t/280211/fs-grado-modders-bits-of-dynamat-for-driver-modding

Enjoy! Seems to be the real deal, btw.

i read about a "sock mod" where as you cut off the top elastic part of a dress sock, and wrap it around the pads. i tried it last night and was amazed by the results on my 325s. the bass is now deep, and firm. so much that i had to turn down the bass on my denon receiver..i was only doing this to make the pads more comfortable, didn't think it would have changed the sound...i think that the added material around the pads help contain the sound, and move the pads slightly away from my head. while i loved my 325s i did miss the lack of bass, but not any more. they sound like a different set of cans.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #2,507 of 3,640
So I let my new 325is just sit and burn in over the weekend while I was out of state visiting family...oh boy, am I a happy man right now!  The 2.5 days of burning in definitly did them good, although they seem to be a little harsh with the more bass heavy songs and sound like they need to loosen up a little bit more.

Here are some of the songs I've been critiquing them with so far tonight.

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Gustav Holst - Mars, The Bringer of War
The Beatles - Come Together
Beethoven - 9th Symphony
August Burns Red - The Eleventh Hour
Tyr - The Lay of Thrym
Amon Amarth - Destroyer Of The Universe
Alice In Chains - Rooster
At The Drive-In - Non Zero Possibility
Avenged Sevenfold - Eternal Rest
Black Sabbath - War Pigs
The Mars Volta - Televators
Mastadon - Sleeping Giant
Hatebreed - Final Prayer

So far it seems to be August Burns Red and Tyr that are the ones still pushing these cans pretty hard and the bass still sounds a little harsh.  I was expecting Hatebreed and Amon Amarth to be along side of them, but surprisingly these guys have never sounded better (except live of course!).  I love hearing new notes that have been strung by a guitar, or an instrument that I never even knew had been in some of these songs.  And most of them I have been listening to for years and thought I knew them in and out!  There are even more details from when I listened to all these with my Audio Technica A900s, which I am very happy about.

I will be having these cans playing for the next two weeks straight most likely until I give the final ye or ne for them.  But so far they are giving my A900s a run for their money after just a few nights!

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2,509 of 3,640
I've owned in this order:

SR60 (blew up due to my lack of understanding about tube amp warm up process)
(336 darkvoice)

DT800/600 (sold) (darkvoice 336, wa3, meier concerto) 

HD650 (still own - while lovely and very "full", they clamp too tight and are too laid back) (meier concerto)

Denon D2000 - bought and shortly returned - dislike the closed sound.(meier concerto)

325is (as of today)  (meier concerto) Love the detail - and still smooth.  My impression on my new 325is is that I'm ultimately a Grado person.  

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #2,510 of 3,640
I just got my Grado 325i monday.  Ben listening to them ever since!  Love them.  Now thinking about the Magnum mod
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #2,511 of 3,640
I've had mine for about 6 months now and I love them.

Not done or thinking of any mods, to be honest too scared of knackering them.

Using them on various sources from portable CD and Minidisc players to Roland VS2480 recording studio.

I found that the sound got more detailed over time and I am hearing sounds in my recordings that I'd never been able to hear before on all the sources.

Also love listening to other music and been exploring my collection when I can - settled down from the 'what will this sound like!' and unable to complete a track before putting something else on.

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2,512 of 3,640
Got my pair on Monday, so far I couldn't be happier. They have sure changed a lot since the first listen till right now. Thats probably about 25hrs and they just seem better and better every day. Not sure what the burn in time is for these, or if its just me adjusting to the sound. But so far there keepers for me, and I think I am a Grado fan for life. 

Looks like the model number part of the thread is dead, but but in-case anyone is still keeping track mine are: #9819

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #2,513 of 3,640
when i got mine, i ran them day and night looping the same cd so that i knew the loudest point of the disk. you have to keep checking them though as they will get louder and louder as they loosen up.(they do need to be played pretty loud ) i did listen to them also. every day they sounded better. after about 75 hrs. you will be about %80 there. then just enjoy them 

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2,514 of 3,640

Quote:
when i got mine, i ran them day and night looping the same cd so that i knew the loudest point of the disk. you have to keep checking them though as they will get louder and louder as they loosen up.(they do need to be played pretty loud ) i did listen to them also. every day they sounded better. after about 75 hrs. you will be about %80 there. then just enjoy them 

So just normal listening is not good? Or does it just take longer? 

I been listening to mine every chance I get, but its only been at normal listening volume. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2,515 of 3,640
sure you can just listen to them..i was only getting in a couple hours a night after work so i plugged them into a old cd player that had a headphone jack. i would keep checking the volume level whenever i would stop home maybe every 6-8 hrs. and that cd sounded better every time i picked up the phones. if you read the paper that came with them john grado tells you not to do that, just to listen to them. i think that's because of the volume increasing as they break in... imo yes as with speakers they need to played moderately loud to loosen up the diaphragms. you don't always listen at higher levels, and they sound  better at a moderate level. JG mentions that too. whatever way you choose wlll be fine.  

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #2,516 of 3,640
Thanks, I have been off work all week and the wife has been away so they been getting a lot of head time. I would say probably 8-10 hrs a day. 
I am guessing there nearing the 50hr mark right now. 
It sure is amazing how these sounded at first compared to now. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2,518 of 3,640
Got my 325is about two weeks ago and I do not want to take them off.  I'm driving them with a Woo WA6 and it is, IMO, a great combo.  I have not found them overly bright at all.  I love the detail and the bass response.  I'm enjoying them with all types of music.  They give me the sound I have always craved from headphones, forward and immersive.  I also have a pair of K702s, but I never really warmed up to them.  They seem distant and not so engaging.  The WA6, to me, struggles to drive them properly.  I'm contemplating an M-Stage or Lyr for them, or maybe even selling them.  I can't see them competing for time on the Woo.  Right now I'm loving the Grados and wondering how far up the Grado food chain I sould go--RS1?  Perhaps the 325is is just right for me.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #2,519 of 3,640

Quote:
Got my 325is about two weeks ago and I do not want to take them off.  I'm driving them with a Woo WA6 and it is, IMO, a great combo.  I have not found them overly bright at all.  I love the detail and the bass response.  I'm enjoying them with all types of music.  They give me the sound I have always craved from headphones, forward and immersive.  I also have a pair of K702s, but I never really warmed up to them.  They seem distant and not so engaging.  The WA6, to me, struggles to drive them properly.  I'm contemplating an M-Stage or Lyr for them, or maybe even selling them.  I can't see them competing for time on the Woo.  Right now I'm loving the Grados and wondering how far up the Grado food chain I sould go--RS1?  Perhaps the 325is is just right for me.

I am right there with you. I got mine a week ago today and I couldnt be happier. I too am contemplating if I want to go farther up the chain someday or just be happy where I am? Someday I wouldnt mind owning a pair of RS1's. The PS1000's are a little out of my range price wise on what I would like to spend for a set of headphones. Maybe if I had super good hearing I would consider it more, but for me I think the RS1's are about as high I will go. 

Might look into modding these once make the upgrade, but I HIGHLY doubt that will be anytime soon. I quite content where I am at. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #2,520 of 3,640
Recently moved up from the 125 that were my very first into to good headphones in 2003 to the 325i.  I am very happy with the 325i sound wise. The improved dynamics and bass are well worth it.  The funny thing is for quite some time reading the boards about different grado flavors the 325 was the least interesting to me.  I thought they were too heavy or too bright.  Have found neither to be the case(IMO).  Although I do have the denons if I really want bass or impact.  Mainly I go to denon when my earlobes are tired from the on ear design.  Really love that I can rock out with these cans!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back