The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jul 11, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #3,317 of 3,634
Sorry if this is 'old' news, but consumer reports just announced their favorite headphone:

Grado headphones best Beats and Bose
The Grado Prestige 325is is now our top-rated headphone model

Published: July 02, 2014 03:30 PM

https://shopping.yahoo.com/news/grado-headphones-best-beats-and-bose-230830581.html
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/07/grado-headphones-best-beats-bose/index.htm

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #3,318 of 3,634
Any impressions on the new SR325e yet?
popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #3,319 of 3,634
Jul 12, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3,320 of 3,634
It has been a while that I listened to my SR325i but tonight I listened to the Throwing Muses. Wow, what great headphones these are... Somehow I always come back to them. I know other headphones are technically more sophisticated but the SR325i they just fit for my ears... and cause a big smile on my face....

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #3,321 of 3,634
It has been a while that I listened to my SR325i but tonight I listened to the Throwing Muses. Wow, what great headphones these are... Somehow I always come back to them. I know other headphones are technically more sophisticated but the SR325i they just fit for my ears... and cause a big smile on my face....

GRADO never have and never will be at the forefront of audio engineering...but they just do what they do....and do it in a special way...

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #3,322 of 3,634

That is what it is all about, and I very much agree...they are incredible headphones

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3,323 of 3,634
After years of discomfort and hit and miss solutions with my 325is I've finally hit the sweet spot both sonically and comfort wise:

I've attached a HD650 headband and the new HM5 velour pads (the same way I attached the Beyerdynamic pads a couple of pages back in this thread).

It's now one of, if not the, most comfortable headphone that I own.

Sound wise the soundstage is the biggest I've achieved with any pads and the sound is fuller and smoother than ever without giving up any of the fantastic clarity.

I seriously doubt I'll continue to mess around with them any more now :)

Edit: also subbass is just great, Lorde really rocks now!

Edit2: really should replace the cable also, just don't know if I dare since I've never done it before.......

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #3,324 of 3,634
From my vacation I brought home a pair of SR325is, which are the SR325e. When I listened to them in the shop in Montreal, from memory I had the impression they have a bit more bass (but not the mid bass huymp of the PS500) and a little bit less highs than my SR325i. Now that I got home I did a first comparison between the two headphones. First impression is that I was right though the difference is less than I thought from my accoustic memory (though one should not trust...). I still need to do some more listening and comparison. But even if the difference is not very big, I don't regret the buy. The SR325i are with me since 6 years and I always thought I should buy a second pair in case my original one breaks down...

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #3,325 of 3,634
  From my vacation I brought home a pair of SR325is, which are the SR325e. When I listened to them in the shop in Montreal, from memory I had the impression they have a bit more bass (but not the mid bass huymp of the PS500) and a little bit less highs than my SR325i. Now that I got home I did a first comparison between the two headphones. First impression is that I was right though the difference is less than I thought from my accoustic memory (though one should not trust...). I still need to do some more listening and comparison. But even if the difference is not very big, I don't regret the buy. The SR325i are with me since 6 years and I always thought I should buy a second pair in case my original one breaks down...

Congratulations on the 325is(e)!
I have mine 325is's for about 3 yrs now, and I just sent them to Grado due to the fact that I felt they lost their upfront/aggression/crispness in the mid to high frequencies…they sounded very muffled/veiled with not much detail unless I EQ'd them, which I don't do, and never had too. So I can't wait to get them back…they are an awesome headphone!
Enjoy! 

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #3,326 of 3,634
Thank you Joseph! Yes, they are very nice HPs indeed. Tonight I did some comparison with my modded MS-Pro. This is a tough call: The MS-Pro sounds more open (it had G-cush and distancers), voices are more upfront, which I like. Compared to the MS-Pro the SR325e sounds more closed, the voices a bit less upfront. Bass is a very nice thing on the SR325e. I listened towye oak " for prayers" and to kate nash "sister" and the bass was so nice. With the MS-Pro it was also there but with the SR325e it had more body (I am sorry this might sound a bit esoteric but I can't find any other words even in my native tongue...) So, I am happy with this purchase. I would just need more listening time and time to compare it to the other grados here. Especially the HF-1 and the PS 500... But I have to teach next week and I am late for preparing this. Bad times!
so, it is good that there is music to comfort us.
Hope you get your SR325is back in shape!

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,327 of 3,634
  Thank you Joseph! Yes, they are very nice HPs indeed. Tonight I did some comparison with my modded MS-Pro. This is a tough call: The MS-Pro sounds more open (it had G-cush and distancers), voices are more upfront, which I like. Compared to the MS-Pro the SR325e sounds more closed, the voices a bit less upfront. Bass is a very nice thing on the SR325e. I listened towye oak " for prayers" and to kate nash "sister" and the bass was so nice. With the MS-Pro it was also there but with the SR325e it had more body (I am sorry this might sound a bit esoteric but I can't find any other words even in my native tongue...) So, I am happy with this purchase. I would just need more listening time and time to compare it to the other grados here. Especially the HF-1 and the PS 500... But I have to teach next week and I am late for preparing this. Bad times!
so, it is good that there is music to comfort us.
Hope you get your SR325is back in shape!

I also have the RS1i which would be as you know more/less equivilent to the MS-Pro, and I also feel the RS has a much more spacious/upfront  sound than the 325, but the bass is a bit heavier on the 325, so I especially like them for rock music. Thanks for the hoping I get the 325's back in shape! I'm sure Grado will do a fine job.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3,328 of 3,634
After years of discomfort and hit and miss solutions with my 325is I've finally hit the sweet spot both sonically and comfort wise:

I've attached a HD650 headband and the new HM5 velour pads (the same way I attached the Beyerdynamic pads a couple of pages back in this thread).

It's now one of, if not the, most comfortable headphone that I own.

Sound wise the soundstage is the biggest I've achieved with any pads and the sound is fuller and smoother than ever without giving up any of the fantastic clarity.

I seriously doubt I'll continue to mess around with them any more now
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: also subbass is just great, Lorde really rocks now!

Edit2: really should replace the cable also, just don't know if I dare since I've never done it before.......

Reading this inspired me to take the pads off of my broken pair of Senn HD280 pros and fashion them on top of the 414 pads I have on my 325is'. It's really comfortable and the sound signature remains the same based on my early impression, although a little dampened due to the black cloth that covers the back of the HD280 pads that now covers the direct route to the drivers. I'm enjoying it, and wouldn't have thought to do it due to the fact they don't fit on the cups, but they fit very well over the 414 pads 
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #3,329 of 3,634
  Reading this inspired me to take the pads off of my broken pair of Senn HD280 pros and fashion them on top of the 414 pads I have on my 325is'. It's really comfortable and the sound signature remains the same based on my early impression, although a little dampened due to the black cloth that covers the back of the HD280 pads that now covers the direct route to the drivers. I'm enjoying it, and wouldn't have thought to do it due to the fact they don't fit on the cups, but they fit very well over the 414 pads 
biggrin.gif

Nice!

Yeah, using 414 or comfy pads (possible added some superglued plastic rings like the ones used with for example HiFiman pads) makes great "adapters" to try out almost any pads on the Grado's.

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #3,330 of 3,634

Just acquired a second pair of these glorious beasts (the chromies) and wondered if anyone could help me out with some info. From reading a few 40 page threads on here I understand that the chrome 325is were only produced for a short time. Does anyone know for how long and even roughly how many chrome versions were made? I'm trying to decide which pair to keep and which to rehome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back