The Official Eddie Current FOUR 45 Thread
Aug 7, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #586 of 646
Look what I received. This is the last chance for my EC445 to offer me a warmer sound before... I change it for a VIVA Egoista
biggrin.gif

2 WE417a driver tubes (with adapters) and 2 CUNNINGHAM "Old Globe" ( Cuthus advised to change 2 of my 4 EML MESH 445 by those Globe tubes. have now MIXED output tubes )

MIXED tubed do not look THAT bad. I will report later how this sound ..,,

BEFORE:

AFTER:

How do the mixed output tubes sound compared to the EML Mesh Plate?

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #587 of 646
How do the mixed output tubes sound compared to the EML Mesh Plate?

I just installed them1 hour ago and now I'm Listening to my new tubes while typing. It's too early for a report.

I need some time for break-in of the drivers ( or of my brain ?) but... it seems that I loose some details with the 2 " Old " globes MIXED with the 2 EML modern power tubes.

--> I may try to just change the 2 Drivers for the WE417a and keept the 4 EML MESH modern power tubes ( no mixing) to see if it's more precise

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #588 of 646
PLEASE - I was hoping someone on this thread could help me confirm the rating on the EC 445 amp fuse -- this would be the fuse located at power supply IEC inlet?

I recently bought a Synesthetic Research Quantum Red fuse to try with my EC 4-45 amp at the IEC inlet.  When I pulled the fuse out that came with my amp it was a 4 amp fuse so that is what I ordered from VH Audio.

The fuse worked perfectly and it sounded great for 4 days and then on the 5th day I flipped the on/off switch but the amp would not turn on.  After I checked all connections, I tried putting the old fuse back in and it works fine.

I paid $100 for this fuse and it has a 30-day guaranty but the seller does not allow you to return a blown use if you installed an improperly rated fuse (which is only fair).  So, the seller is asking me to confirm that the fuse I ordered was what was required or recommended by the manufacturer.

I emailed Craig asking him to confirm that the fuse was not just 4 AMP but also whether it was "fast" or "slow" blow.  Have not yet heard back from Craig.

In this Official EC 445 Thread from I think it was Rico who responded to gsr108 about his fuse issue:

"4 Amp fuse is standard on the 445, I asked Craig about it & he said 2.5 A - 4 A is OK.  Higher rated fuses sound better according to some people, but with some added risk of course."  The problem is this doesn't indicate fast or slow blow.

I also did not get an "Owners Manual" with my amp so I cannot check that.  I am NOT necessarily looking to get my $100 back (as long as the seller works with me I would prefer to get another Quantum Red fuse and make sure it is the proper rated fuse).

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Frank ("TOPNut" - stands for Tower of Power Nut)

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #589 of 646
Since the amp came with a 4.0 amp fuse, it is reasonable to say that the amp is rated for that fuse.  It isn't logical to say that a fuse blew just because it was rated at a higher amperage.     

I think most tube amps with powerful transformers required slow blow fuses.  I think if Chris (VH Audio) knew the fuse was going into an amplifier he should have sold you a slow blow type (in case you got a fast blow).  

If you got a slow blow fuse, it was obviously a dud and they should make good on the guarantee.  

If you're going to get burned on this deal, I'd recommend going to Audio Magic and get Jerry to send you one of his Super Fuses, or Bee's wax fuse.  It's expensive, but well worth it.  (assuming you have quite good source, cables, etc,) 

good luck . . .

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #590 of 646
Just found out my just ordered lampi dac is going to come with 4 eml 45 mesh globes. Anyone in Bay Area with EC 445? Very curious how these tubes will sound with an amp.

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #591 of 646
I am going next month to CanJam London, so...

If someone is interested to buy my Eddie Current 445 (with various tubes), I could bring it to CanJam London to save on the shipping costs. I sell it to finance my BHSE & SR009.  

If someone is interested, please PM me.

curently set-up with WE 417A drivers and EML 45 Mesh Plate tubes

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #592 of 646
The 445 sound very good and It could complement very well my BA, but... I will have a hard time explaining to my wife why I need 2 Eddie Current amps 
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #593 of 646
  The 445 sound very good and It could complement very well my BA, but... I will have a hard time explaining to my wife why I need 2 Eddie Current amps 
wink.gif

I had to choose between the 445 and BA when I had both.  The 445 won on clarity and detail with WE 417A drivers and EML 45 Mesh Plate tubes, but I sometimes miss that sweet ELM 300B tube sound from the BA.  It was a tough decision !!

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #594 of 646

I had to choose between the 445 and BA when I had both.  The 445 won on clarity and detail with WE 417A drivers and EML 45 Mesh Plate tubes, but I sometimes miss that sweet ELM 300B tube sound from the BA.  It was a tough decision !!

this is why I also have some Globe tube when I want a sweeter tube signature than with the EML 45 Mesh Plate tubes 
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #595 of 646
Just purchased a used 445. Sounds great, but its a bit under powered for my LCD-4s. On some songs, with the volume at max, it starts to distort the sound slightly. Has anyone tried running the LCD-4s or HE-6 with this amp, do they have enough juice? I want to know if this is how it is. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #596 of 646
  Just purchased a used 445. Sounds great, but its a bit under powered for my LCD-4s. On some songs, with the volume at max, it starts to distort the sound slightly. Has anyone tried running the LCD-4s or HE-6 with this amp, do they have enough juice? I want to know if this is how it is. 

I'm using LCD 4's with my 445.  I think this is an excellent combination and there is plenty of power for the LCD4's.   Can you control the output volume on your DAC ?  Maybe the tubes are weak ?

I am using balanced XLR outupts from my DAC into a Jenson IsoMax transformer, (to convert signal from balanced to single end),  input to the 445.  This setup works well.   When I get some time, I will play with single ended connection from the DAC to 445 to see if it seems under-powered. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #597 of 646
I'm using LCD 4's with my 445.  I think this is an excellent combination and there is plenty of power for the LCD4's.   Can you control the output volume on your DAC ?  Maybe the tubes are weak ?

I am using balanced XLR outupts from my DAC into a Jenson IsoMax transformer, (to convert signal from balanced to single end),  input to the 445.  This setup works well.   When I get some time, I will play with single ended connection from the DAC to 445 to see if it seems under-powered. 

Thank you for your reply, running balanced from my DAC was suggested to me, I wasn't sure how much of a difference it will make, I will try it, much appreciated

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #598 of 646
I went crazy trying to figure out how to run a balanced signal into the 445.  What I found after researching the internet is that going from SE --> balanced can work, but balanced ---> SE is not recommended and is potentially dangerous to the amp and/or DAC.  I settled on the IsoMax transformer and it sounds great. 

http://www.markertek.com/product/jen-pc2xr/jensen-pc-2xr-2-ch-iso-max-interface?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_source=google&utm_term=Product_Target&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Pro-Audio&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=e0Lmcrw8|pcrid|74923786220|pdv|c|&gclid=COudzLS849ACFYFYfgodsS4C-A

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #600 of 646
So that's balanced from the DAC & single ended to the amp, correct?

The dangerous part is going in reverse of that.

From what I remember reading, DAC Balanced -->  SE is dangerous.  DAC SE --> 445 would be the easiest, but DAC Bal --->  IsoMax PC-2XR ---> 445 would probably sound better.

Craig at Eddie Current suggested the Jensen Iso-Max PC-2XR and I found no decrease in sound quality using this.  It is a pain cause it cost money and then you need another set of SE cables.  Still well worth it, IMHO . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back