The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #2,297 of 2,481
I have a Mac, and I use Android File Transfer to move music from my computer to my Explorer, but I've forgotten what to do once I connect my Explorer to my Mac with the USB cable. Can someone help me?

Also, could I purchase music from a website like HDTracks using the browser of the Explorer and then download the files directly to my Explorer?

Matt, once you connect the Explorer to your MAC, simply open Android File Transfer on your MAC. Once it is open, simply locate the "music" folder on your Explorer (within Android File Transfer). Then, open up a new "Finder" window on your MAC, and locate the folder on your MAC containing your music. Then all you need to do is drag and drop your music into the "Music" folder :)

As for HD Tracks, I don't believe you can download directly to the Explorer. HD Tracks uses a download manager software that must be installed on your MAC or PC in order to download any of your purchase.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #2,299 of 2,481
Ermm...what is the procedure to update the firmware?? I've formatted my USB FAT32..dropped the update file onto it..It's kind of imp[ossible to plug the MicroSD card in whilst the Explorer power up via a power supply with the USB cable in the way.. I tried rebooting the Explorer it doesn't seem to autoboot the firmware...got an alternative method???

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #2,300 of 2,481
I must be doing something wrong. This is probably due to my complete ignorance when it comes to Android devices and operating symptoms. First, can someone explain how the Android File Transfer app works? Is it really as simple as opening the app on my Mac, placing the music folders in it, and connecting it to my Explorer, and that's it? I don't need to do anything on the Explorer itself? I have music on my Explorer, and I used the app, but for some reason, the memory of how it got there from the app is missing in my poor head.

Can I use File Transfer to install the Explorer software update?

Also, the songs that are on my Explorer

As for the software update, I've downloaded it from the Echobox website and tried to put it on my MicroSD card, but t I keep getting the symbol (circle with a slash through it) that tells me I can't drag the unzipped file to the image of the SD card on my Mac's desktop. This is the same card I keep my music on, so do I need a blank formatted card for this to work?

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #2,302 of 2,481
Ermm...what is the procedure to update the firmware?? I've formatted my USB FAT32..dropped the update file onto it..It's kind of imp[ossible to plug the MicroSD card in whilst the Explorer power up via a power supply with the USB cable in the way.. I tried rebooting the Explorer it doesn't seem to autoboot the firmware...got an alternative method???

Lol...

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #2,303 of 2,481

This isn't a firmware update, it's only software. After you have run the program, be sure to check in the "About Device" menu to make sure you are running Explore Software Version 1.0.3

If it is not should up, try doing a hard reset of your Explorer (press and hold the top power button until the unit forcibly shuts off).

If this doesn't work, then reload the Update.zip file onto the SD card and try it all again.

As for having the power cable plugged in, it's only to make sure you have enough power for the update. If your unit is fully charged, then you are OK without it plugged in.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #2,304 of 2,481
Let me finish that thought: if songs are on my Explorer, can I remove them from the File transfer window in the Android File Transfer app? Right now, all of the albums still appear there.

Matt, please shoot us an email so we can give you a phone call and walk through the process. Sounds like that might be helpful :)

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #2,305 of 2,481
This isn't a firmware update, it's only software. After you have run the program, be sure to check in the "About Device" menu to make sure you are running Explore Software Version 1.0.3

If it is not should up, try doing a hard reset of your Explorer (press and hold the top power button until the unit forcibly shuts off).

If this doesn't work, then reload the Update.zip file onto the SD card and try it all again.

As for having the power cable plugged in, it's only to make sure you have enough power for the update. If your unit is fully charged, then you are OK without it plugged in.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #2,307 of 2,481
does the file have to be renamed to Update.zip ...it's currntly labelled 'Explorer Update 3.13.zip' or whatever...?
it's doing nothing...the Echobox loads up...it detects a microSD and just sits at the IOS screen? There's no button sequence you have to hold down on every other Android device? Why is this Android device different from other Android devices? Houston?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,310 of 2,481
does the file have to be renamed to Update.zip ...it's currntly labelled 'Explorer Update 3.13.zip' or whatever...?

It should be just fine with it's current name. Apologies, I'm currently out for dinner in China at the moment, so was unable to look at the exact file name. You can always try and rename it though :wink:

One I return to my hotel I will test it out to make sure everything is working OK. We have had multiple successful updates from the files on our site, though, so all should be well. Strange indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back