The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jul 1, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,221 of 2,481
Well, I got a new Explorer... but it still has the background hiss, and still does clicks and pops whenever a song starts or stops. It also does the same thing the original did with the volume sometimes jumping or moving in the wrong direction, despite my turning the knob consistently in one direction. Maybe the recent production issues resulted in using some old boards instead of the supposedly new and improved ones? It's either that, or the fix is inconsistent, or it was a scam in the first place. At this point, I really don't care.

I should probably try to sell it before the cracks start showing up.

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,222 of 2,481
Well, I got a new Explorer... but it still has the background hiss, and still does clicks and pops whenever a song starts or stops. It also does the same thing the original did with the volume sometimes jumping or moving in the wrong direction, despite my turning the knob consistently in one direction. Maybe the recent production issues resulted in using some old boards instead of the supposedly new and improved ones? It's either that, or the fix is inconsistent, or it was a scam in the first place. At this point, I really don't care.

I should probably try to sell it before the cracks start showing up.

@Trager please contact our support team at team@eboxaudio.com so we can look into these issues for you. We absolutely used brand new PCBA components with these Explorers, and have spent the past few months working on these issues. Please contact us so we can look into this further, thank you.

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #2,224 of 2,481
UPDATE: Tidal codes have been sent out to all backers, so please check your email.
I received my Tidal code, thanks Sam. Still waiting on my stand and case as well as my replacement unit(I am one of the original 45). I do enjoy the sound of my player and am sure that once all the little problems have been sorted out that it will be a player that I use for many years of musical enjoyment.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,226 of 2,481
@Trager please contact our support team at team@eboxaudio.com so we can look into these issues for you. We absolutely used brand new PCBA components with these Explorers, and have spent the past few months working on these issues. Please contact us so we can look into this further, thank you.

They responded very quickly and I have updated Tidal and installed Roon.

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #2,227 of 2,481
UPDATE: Tidal codes have been sent out to all backers, so please check your email.

I see it! Hardly helpful at this time as the wait continues for a comprehensive working unit?
Indeed, little consolation for the continued faux pas. And I have reached out to you, several times via the address proffered, coupled with absense of reply without excuse on at least three occasions...

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #2,228 of 2,481
The original Explorer early adoptors had 6 months of Tidal vers
I see it! Hardly helpful at this time as the wait continues for a comprehensive working unit?
Indeed, little consolation for the continued faux pas. And I have reached out to you, several times via the address proffered, coupled with absense of reply without excuse on at least three occasions...

It might be worthwhile to find out the date by which the code has to be activated. It would stink if your code expires again before you get a player, mid-July delivery seems unrealistic to me. I emailed them about a bug a little while ago and they answered within 5 minutes. Maybe you're on the ignore list, which would be not cool.

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,229 of 2,481
It might be worthwhile to find out the date by which the code has to be activated. It would stink if your code expires again before you get a player, mid-July delivery seems unrealistic to me. I emailed them about a bug a little while ago and they answered within 5 minutes. Maybe you're on the ignore list, which would be not cool.
t

Maybe, although all interaction has been more than courteous from both parties.

I'm happy to be propelled to an ignore list. Establishing truth and transparency conjures up action, generally less than adequate..

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #2,230 of 2,481
t

Maybe, although all interaction has been more than courteous from both parties.

I'm happy to be propelled to an ignore list. Establishing truth and transparency conjures up action, generally less than adequate..

I don't think the approach of requiring everybody to individually email them with each question instead of them actively participating in the community. It inconveniences customers and creates a perception and an air of a lack of transparency. They have responded quickly and courteously to me, but the content of the responses hasn't always been accurate.

Jul 1, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #2,231 of 2,481
I asked for help updating Tidal because my sd card wasn't appearing as an option for offline storage in Tidal.
I got comprehensive and easy to follow instructions (I'm pretty lazy when it comes to tech, it has to be simple) and Tidal offline now works like a dream!

I was getting skipping due to my crappy Wi-Fi setup, not an issue anymore.

I also have a Spotify account and plan to find out how to sideload that too.
Once I do I'll post instructions here if people are interested?

Echobox keep repeating that we should contact them for advice, and they came through for me after I e-mailed them at midnight on Friday night (UK time).
My instructions were waiting for me when I got up EARLY Saturday morning.
That's great service in my book, Echobox are clearly working hard.

BTW, here are the instruction for sideloading Tidal that I got from Echobox:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Download the attached file (Tidal_1.16.9-722.apk) to your computer.

2) Uninstall TIDAL from your Explorer. You can do this by pressing and holding on the TIDAL App, then dragging it to the "Uninstall" icon at the top of the screen.

3) Go into the settings menu of your Explorer and scroll down to "Security". Under the security section, you will want to enable "Allow Installations from Unknown Sources". If you cannot find it, you will be prompted to do this once you begin the installation later, however it will save you a step down the road if you can locate it right away.

4) Plug your Explorer in to your computer using the provided USB to Micro USB cable.

5) On Windows you will want to open your "File Explorer" and locate "X1" which is the name of the Explorer when it appears on your computer. Once you are in the Explorer folder, you will want to open the "downloads" folder. For a MAC, you will need to download the Android Tool, which you can find here: https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ Once downloaded, please follow their recommended instructions for how to transfer files.

6) On Windows or MAC, Once you have located the "Downloads" folder of the Explorer, simply "drag and drop" the TIDAL APK file into the Downloads folder.

7) Once you have moved the TIDAL file into your Downloads folder, you may unplug your Explorer from your computer.

8) Going back to the Explorer, open up the applications menu and look for an app called "File Explorer". Open this app.

9) Within the "File Explorer" app menu, you will want to locate "Internal Storage". Click on this.

10) Once in "Internal Storage", locate and click on the "Downloads" folder. Inside this folder you will see the TIDAL APK file you just moved from your computer.

11) Once you locate the TIDAL file, click on it. You will have a menu come up on your screen, please scroll down to the bottom of this menu and click on "Install". If you have enabled "Unknown Sources" already, it will proceed to install. If you have not, it will prompt you to go to the settings menu and enable this option. Once you have enabled it, work your way back through steps 8-10.

12) Once the installation is complete, press the "home" button on the bottom of your Explorer to return to the home screen. You can then go back to the Applications Menu, where you will find your newly installed TIDAL app. You can now open it and log in to your account!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I listened all day today and not a single hiccup.
I'm not trying to be that smug guy when some still have to receive their units, just reassuring those still waiting that it's worth the wait.
Sound is really great, and a big step up for me (previous best portable is iBasso D-Zero MK2>Sony Xperia cellphone) and I'm loving it.

I get that we've had to wait a hell of a long time for these devices, and that has soured some of us towards Echobox, but those of us that have our Explorers now shouldn't be bitching on behalf of those still waiting, I'm sure they can handle that themselves if they feel that way, and maybe they're prepared to wait the remaining time without complaint here?
I do feel bad for the remaining 41, especially those like me who can't afford another player to use while we waited, but If you're like me, you will feel a hell of a lot better once you have your Explorer.
I backed another Audiophile crowdfunded project which turned out to be a scam (Kickstarter) so my main concern in the early stages of the wait was whether Echobox was legit or not.
But since then lots of people have met Echobox team members at show, lots of people have backed, and received the earphones, and Echobox are Head-Fi sponsors.
Some of us also got to see and hear the Explorer at shows.
So I have felt re-assured for some time now that Echobox are 'on the up and up' and would like to offer my own reassurance that this DAP is everything I'd hoped for (for whatever that's worth).

Re' the case, yeah mine is TIGHT too, it's like trying to get 'The Hound' into Tyrian's wetsuit, but it did go on.
Don't think I'll be using it a great deal though. the wood is just too good looking nekkid.

I'm not having any issue with either noise from Wi-Fi, or short range, sorry to hear that others might be having to deal with that.

I have now tried out D2000's MDR1A's, T50RP's AKG K553 pro's and all are driven with authority and sound great in their own different ways.
The only 'phone I've tried which needed me to explore the upper quarter of the volume band is my T50RPs, and even they don't require max volume (and I listen loud btw).
I haven't tried out my CIEM's yet (Linum cable problems sadly), but I have other in-ears that I'll get around to soon.

I'll post this in both threads as it may prove useful for some (?)
Apologies for the cross-post.

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #2,232 of 2,481
Got mine. Works well, and I got spotify loaded and playing like a charm after afew tries.

Just a general tip on sideloading spotify:
When downloading the .apk, please make sure you are downloading the right version. It should be the one for an ARM architecture, not x86. Apps for X86 arch will NOT work. Happened to me afew times before I realised this mistake.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,233 of 2,481
Got mine and the dock too last week.
Looks are great although I must say I would have expected the Wood to connect to the metal closely. The tolerance at the connections on my Explorer seems to be above 1 mm - you can feel it very easily.

Anyway it took me quite a while to get it working - but now it does.

I have tried the Finder and my Trinity Master 4 and the FAD VI with it as well as a Pandora Hope VI and also the Mitchell Johnson HP1. No Problems whatsoever yet.

Will try an HE1000 soon. It will be intersting to see if it csn drive the HP without an amp.

Anyway good luck to all of you who are still waiting.

Oh - and by the way. I had received a shipping note exactly on the same day when they were delivered.
Echobox have declared a value of 20 USD for mine - so this may also give some hope for some of you on the customs thing.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,234 of 2,481
Got mine and the dock too last week.
Looks are great although I must say I would have expected the Wood to connect to the metal closely. The tolerance at the connections on my Explorer seems to be above 1 mm - you can feel it very easily.

Anyway it took me quite a while to get it working - but now it does.

I have tried the Finder and my Trinity Master 4 and the FAD VI with it as well as a Pandora Hope VI and also the Mitchell Johnson HP1. No Problems whatsoever yet.

Will try an HE1000 soon. It will be intersting to see if it csn drive the HP without an amp.

Anyway good luck to all of you who are still waiting.

Oh - and by the way. I had received a shipping note exactly on the same day when they were delivered.
Echobox have declared a value of 20 USD for mine - so this may also give some hope for some of you on the customs thing.

Glad to hear you received your Explorer! Would you mind sending pictures of the wood/metal gap to us so we can take a look and understand better what you refer to? You can email it directly to our support staff at team@eboxaudio.com. Thanks! ❤️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back