The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jun 30, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #2,209 of 2,481
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #2,217 of 2,481
Quick Review....
YMMV!!!

All songs are in flac
USB Audio Player PRO
The following settings are on, everything else is off or unchecked.
Play through android
Use USB DAC
Bit perfect (USB audio)
Auto scan on start-up
Fade in cover art
Ask to exit
Volume control Hardware volume control (if available)
Stereo hardware volume slider
Fade out volume control
USB tweak 1
Free USB bandwidth after playback

Paul Simon - Mother & Child Reunion 96000Hz 24bit VModa XS
Great mids, very smooth and well balanced, not a lot of bass but enough, highs seem a bit clipped.

Leonard Cohen - Got a Little Secret (Live at Auckland) 44100Hz 24bit VModa VS
Crystal clear highs, mids are clear with the classic Explorer sound warmth, good sharp fast bass.

International Guitar Night - For Itamar by Brian Gore 44100Hz 16bit Sennheiser HD 650,
Beautiful acoustics, as if I were back in the Napa Opera house when it was originally played.
Crystal clear sharp guitars, incredible separation and stage presence, beautiful bass.

The Lumineers - Ho Hey 96000Hz 24bit Kaiser K10 Custom IEM
Great clarity, perfect separation, fast sharp treble & bass, perfect mids.

2L the Nordic Sound - Ives: Overture & March '1776' Sennheiser HD 650
Fast responsive bass, flawless mids and perfect highs.

Soul Brothers Mitt Jackson & Ray Charles - How Long Blues 192000Hz 24bit Kaiser K10 Custom IEM
This was really amazing! Like I was sitting in the studio/ nightclub. Fantastic recording to begin with, magical on the Explorer!

Still has the incredibly annoying clicks/ popping when changing sampling rate! There are however; no clicking/popping noises when changing same sampling rate songs, unlike Spotify!

Overall... I REALLY like the sound. The footprint is smaller than my Onkyo and it's prettier.
For $240.00 you really can't beat it! For $600? You decide...

EDIT:
1) The annoying clicking/popping when sliding forward or backward by songs in Spotify has stopped since I changed to: Volume control Hardware volume control (if available) instead of software. It's still there when pressing pause or start. Bummer.

2) New Issue... when playing Spotify.... if the screen goes black (power saving), Spotify stops and USB Audio Pro starts and plays instead of Spotify. Wierd and stupid and ANNOYING!

Great to hear you are enjoying your unit so far :) Just as a heads up, Spotify is not officially supported with the Explorer, so unfortunately we are unable to guarantee functionality. That being said, if you have any questions about your unit, or would like to try some troubleshooting steps with us, please feel free to contact our support staff at team@eboxaudio.com :)

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #2,218 of 2,481
Yes, the case should be in the box. Nobody got Tidal codes.

Sam told me that Tidal codes should be emailed out before the end of the weekend.

It is a bit complicated and I don't want to be responsible for someone bricking their Echobox, so please contact them or wait until they publish instructions. Sorry about that.

dlayman, found the case, thanks!
Silverstare11, no codes, ok, will wait.
VandyMan, thanks don't have Tidal now as I cancelled when my first Echobox subscription ran out, I'll wait.

Makethemusic.... hmm, I REALLY don't know what to say about this as one of the MAIN reasons i bought this was, and I quote, "Support for Tidal, Spotify etc., etc, ". Then you changed your mind mid production, and the word was, oh... sorry no Spotify, no Google apps, etc..

So now your quoting like SCRIPTURE, "Spotify is not officially supported with the Explorer, so...." yet when you wanted all our money it WAS supported as well as Google play...

How do I answer this? Anyone want to chime in?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #2,219 of 2,481
dlayman, found the case, thanks!
Silverstare11, no codes, ok, will wait.
VandyMan, thanks don't have Tidal now as I cancelled when my first Echobox subscription ran out, I'll wait.

Makethemusic.... hmm, I REALLY don't know what to say about this as one of the MAIN reasons i bought this was, and I quote, "Support for Tidal, Spotify etc., etc, ". Then you changed your mind mid production, and the word was, oh... sorry no Spotify, no Google apps, etc..

So now your quoting like SCRIPTURE, "Spotify is not officially supported with the Explorer, so...." yet when you wanted all our money it WAS supported as well as Google play...

How do I answer this? Anyone want to chime in?

I am getting my unit on Wednesday -this was the only time I could stay in for dhl- I use Spotify a lot and if it does not work when the screen switches off it would be a deal breaker for me. I don't understand what could have changed to make it behave like that since the first batch did not have that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back