The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Sep 30, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,461 of 2,481
I waited for so long for it and really wanted to like it. Sold it at a heavy discount.
I really couldn't pass this awful experience onto anyone

I guess if I discount it too

Nov 7, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #2,464 of 2,481
Just got one from Drop thinking "at the price it can't be that bad".

Well, it can. The WiFi is dreadful, shades of 56k modem about the speed of any download. Which renders it useless as a streamer. The software crashes left right and centre (though with Hiby sideloaded it is at least usable, Tidal sometimes works and UAPP is fairly awful on anything I own so I wasn't expecting any better here).

Perhaps somebody savvy can point me in the direction of a Linux distro that will install on the useless box of awfulness, it's a shame the software and WiFi suck so badly because the sound is actually really good, and it is (just) powerful enough to drive my HE400is (with the gain turned up in EQ).

Trying to save money over the cost of something like the Fiio x5 or similar with decent amplification and streaming capability has ended up being money almost totally wasted. Caveat emptor and all that.

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #2,465 of 2,481
You may find a distro that will work on the old Rockchip, but unfortunately some of the sound quality of the Explorer will be because they bypassed the Android SRC if I remember correctly.

Used to have one - biggest usability and functionality disappointment I've come across in the DSP market, which was a shame as the sound, as you say, was pretty good.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #2,466 of 2,481
Just got one from Drop thinking "at the price it can't be that bad".

Well, it can. The WiFi is dreadful, shades of 56k modem about the speed of any download. Which renders it useless as a streamer. The software crashes left right and centre (though with Hiby sideloaded it is at least usable, Tidal sometimes works and UAPP is fairly awful on anything I own so I wasn't expecting any better here).

Perhaps somebody savvy can point me in the direction of a Linux distro that will install on the useless box of awfulness, it's a shame the software and WiFi suck so badly because the sound is actually really good, and it is (just) powerful enough to drive my HE400is (with the gain turned up in EQ).

Trying to save money over the cost of something like the Fiio x5 or similar with decent amplification and streaming capability has ended up being money almost totally wasted. Caveat emptor and all that.

Hate to say this.... But... Buyer beware, you should have read the warnings here and the one I posted on Mass(Drop) very clear warnings about this piece of Shiiit!

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #2,467 of 2,481
For anyone else who's bought the damn thing, Tidal works ok if you download the new version from an apk repository and NEVER even attempt to play an MQA file. The CPU can't even begin to handle such things. I'm at a point where I kinda like it to an extent. I guess at Drop prices it's adequate. For the full price I would be really hacked off.

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #2,469 of 2,481
I'm really torn here, as I rarely use my Explorer nowadays, and I shared the anger of other backers that the device took sooo much longer to be released than it was supposed to.

However I was fairly happy with the device itself once it finally appeared.
I ONLY used Tidal on my Expolorer, and I agree that the wi-fi is absolutely crap.
Luckily, once I downloaded my Tidal content to the sd card that didn't really affect me except for when I wanted to add new content, which I'd just do in a batch overnight.

I love the way it sounds, and my one rarely crashes.
I also haven't endured the build quality issues that I have read some other backers suffering.
My Explorer is finished perfectly, and although I was a little unconvinced by the need for the flask design I have always been happy with the wood (mine hasn't split luckily) and I particularly love the volume knob and the way it works.

So why don't I use it much now?
I simply can't afford Tidal anymore, and have reverted to Spotify on my phone, it doesn't sound anywhere near as good, but even Spotify on the Explorer sounds pretty damn good so I do use that sometimes.
And at least it has the power to drive all of my cans well!

Would I recommend the device now?
No chance.

With the breadth of functionally superior options available on the market nowadays the only advantages the Explorer has over any other player are looks (very subjective) and build quality (while mine is great I have read of others that I would be VERY unhappy to have received).

I'm sorry to hear folk are still buying these and having the kind of trouble @Tonymac136 is experiencing.

The dream of a community inspired DAP really fell on it's face.

If I could sell my Explorer I'd just buy an es100 or similar BT dac-amp to replace it to be honest, but no-ones going to buy it anytime soon.

Well, at least I can still use it for Spotify, it's useful for long car journeys!

I hope you find a way to enjoy yours Tony (or get rid to someone who can?).

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #2,470 of 2,481
new work desk accessory

EchoboxExplorer.jpg

Mar 25, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,471 of 2,481
Hi - I figured I'd give the Explorer a shot at $100, thinking at least I'd be able to stream Spotify over it. However, I've been unable to install a Spotify apk. Can anyone help? This is my first android device, and I'm stuck.

Also, the Echobox links to any software upgrades are now dead. Any help regarding those would be appreciated as well. I'd like to make at least some progress with the this before investing in a sim card.

Mar 26, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #2,472 of 2,481
Also, the Echobox links to any software upgrades are now dead. Any help regarding those would be appreciated as well. I'd like to make at least some progress with the this before investing in a sim card.

You should complain on drop.com. They should not be selling these devices with old firmware and no way to update.

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,474 of 2,481
Hi - I figured I'd give the Explorer a shot at $100, thinking at least I'd be able to stream Spotify over it. However, I've been unable to install a Spotify apk. Can anyone help? This is my first android device, and I'm stuck.

Personally I never bothered updating the firmware from the original.
Don't get your hopes up re' streaming though, the wifi is way too crap for that.
Saving playlists offline to a card works really well though, as long as you have the patience to cope with the sloooooow download.
That's the way I've always used mine.
It's great sound for $100 (and looks too if the flask thing works for ya).

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,475 of 2,481
Personally I never bothered updating the firmware from the original.
Don't get your hopes up re' streaming though, the wifi is way too crap for that.
Saving playlists offline to a card works really well though, as long as you have the patience to cope with the sloooooow download.

Okay, that's good to know - thanks. Tidal worked okay for me when I had it. My concern is that I think Spotify may have prohibited apk versions in the past few months. I can't seem to find any other than one that won't install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back