The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 6, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #10,936 of 10,994
T1 first generation is the purest of all the T1s. Why? Because the engineers made the first gen exactly how they wanted it to sound. Subsequent iterations were changed based on consumer complaints, thus tainting the original product. I've heard all three, and I think that the first generation is the best. So much faster and precise than later versions. It's edgy with personality and is more excellent at certain things and more terrible at others. The later gens are better at more things but never excellent at anything - safe and more acceptable to more people. I think because of complaints about treble peaks, they watered down the presentation. When you try to please everyone, you lose greatness. Isn't this true with everything? It's like when a tv series starts out amazing, but only to a cult following, and then they get in the "market group" and make it more appealing to the masses, thus ruining the greatness of the original. To my ears, the T1 as become more and more like other headphones, ie. boring. Just my ridiculous musings...take with a grain of salt, of course :)
Fully agree with your synopsis. For those who complain about the T1.1’s treble peaks all they need to do is EQ the sound. I’m still baffled at times when I read so many posts about audiophiles who abhor EQ and deem it to be some sort of sacrilege. They would save a ton of money needlessly spent on supposedly better DACs or tweaks or ear pads, ad infinitum. But I digress. I use my T1.1 and DT 880/ 600 ohm w/ my vintage Kenwood integrated amp, 70wpc [1974] & a Loki mini+ and the sound is absolutely stunning. Just my two cents.

May 9, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #10,937 of 10,994
I bought one of the original T1s shortly after they came out (with Black Dragon cable from Moon Audio) and was completely floored by them. They pretty much ended my cycle of repeatedly purchasing/reselling headphones on here.

Recently, Ive had the opportunity to upgrade my system and have come to realize what people have been telling me on here for 10-15 years: high end headphones will not sound their best unless you surround them with other high end equipment. This is my current setup:

Power: Furman AR voltage regulator
Turntable: Technics SL-1210M5G
Needle: https://www.lpgear.com/product/THEVESSELB3SS.html
Mixer/Preamp: http://www.isonoe.com/products2/iso420-mixer/
Oyaide PA-02TX XLR interconnects
Black Sand Audio Violet ZI MKII power cable
Amp: SPL Phonitor E

Moon Audio doesnt even sell Beyerdynamics anymore but they helped me change my connector to a Furutech 4-pin XLR and the difference in running a fully balanced setup is astounding - I should have done this years ago. I am in full agreement with Pirastro - Beyerdynamic absolutely nailed it with these on the 1st attempt.

May 9, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #10,938 of 10,994
difference in running a fully balanced setup is astounding - I should have done this years ago.

It can be, yes. But it depends on whether a product was designed as a balanced device, whether everything else in a setup is balanced etc.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 4, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #10,939 of 10,994
I started with the dt990 then got the T90 (that are still my favourite headphones of all time) then I had a good chance and decided to buy the T1 2nd.
This was surprisingly different from what I imagined but still special.
Anyway there was still that bug in my mind: "how do the original t1 sounds?"

So today I pulled the trigger, again: T1 1st gen on the way.

Am I crazy?
I keep saying myself that I can sell them if I don't like them. But I say this for each pair of headphones that I buy and at the end, I keep them all :D

Oct 4, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #10,940 of 10,994
I started with the dt990 then got the T90 (that are still my favourite headphones of all time) then I had a good chance and decided to buy the T1 2nd.
This was surprisingly different from what I imagined but still special.
Anyway there was still that bug in my mind: "how do the original t1 sounds?"

So today I pulled the trigger, again: T1 1st gen on the way.

Am I crazy?
I keep saying myself that I can sell them if I don't like them. But I say this for each pair of headphones that I buy and at the end, I keep them all :D
You are not crazy. T1 first gen are great headphones (i have it myself). The original sound is very ballanced and for me is very realistic - even with an emphasis on treble - with the right amplification there are no problems with the treble (FYI 2nd gen does also have the spike in treble). T1.1 does have the sound originaly intended by creators, 2nd gen react more to the demand. I am happy i chose the first gen.

Oct 4, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #10,941 of 10,994
You are not crazy. T1 first gen are great headphones (i have it myself). The original sound is very ballanced and for me is very realistic - even with an emphasis on treble - with the right amplification there are no problems with the treble (FYI 2nd gen does also have the spike in treble). T1.1 does have the sound originaly intended by creators, 2nd gen react more to the demand. I am happy i chose the first gen.
I agree, i've had T1 first gen since 2015. Despite having TH900MK2, AD2000x, W1000X I think that T1.1 have their own advantages.

Oct 4, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #10,942 of 10,994
I'm really curious :)
2nd gen surprised me negatively with their thick warm mid bass (highs are not an issue for me, given that I like the T90)
However, after adjusting the brain I was conquered by their smoothness and the shape of the soundstage
With the T90 is separated left and right
With the T1 2nd there is a 3d effect, like a sphere. I was happy to read the same thing from another user into the 2nd gen thread.
So I'm really curious about the 1st gen, since I think this effect is related to the angled drivers.
P9s and Amirons do something similar as well

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #10,943 of 10,994
I'm really curious :)
2nd gen surprised me negatively with their thick warm mid bass (highs are not an issue for me, given that I like the T90)
However, after adjusting the brain I was conquered by their smoothness and the shape of the soundstage
With the T90 is separated left and right
With the T1 2nd there is a 3d effect, like a sphere. I was happy to read the same thing from another user into the 2nd gen thread.
So I'm really curious about the 1st gen, since I think this effect is related to the angled drivers.
P9s and Amirons do something similar as well
T1.1 does have the great 3d soundstage - its one of their advantage i like. T1.1 does not have that thick warm mid bass of T1.2.
EDIT: For me T1.1 is like a DT880 on steroids - very similar sound character with a little bit differend kind of treble spike. Overall better resolution and realism of sound.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #10,944 of 10,994
T1 1st gen is so fast they should have named it the F1. Transients are just so damn quick on these cans. For drums - specially high hat - nothing I've heard more realistic.

Oct 4, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #10,945 of 10,994
I have always liked my T1.1, never noticed the treble spike some speak of, but then my hearing doesn't go much above 10K these days. I do wish it had the removable cables which would allow for a balanced cable. My understanding is the T1.1 has a leather headband which was made pleather in the follow-on editions. So far I have been very satisfied listening to all my Beyerdynamic's on their own A20 amp.

Oct 7, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #10,946 of 10,994
Arrived today.
Now I don't want to go crazy doing A/B with all the collection, but while when I tried the 2nd gen I found it a bit odd and took me a while to equalise the brain to the mid bass hump, this one sounded immediately ok.
3D effect and instrument separation also present.
A touch more sweetness and warmth to the mids when compared to the T90.
Basically it seems what I expected my gen 1.2 to be :D
It really seems a delicious headphone

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #10,947 of 10,994
Can't decide, so I'll keep both of them for now (I knew it). But if I have to pick only one, I'd pick the 1st gen :)
DSC00605-2.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #10,950 of 10,994
Any suggestions for mid focussed amplifier having big and vast sound-stage for T1s.
I have T1 gen 1 and T5p gen 2.
Is there a budget to work with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back