The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 2, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #9,436 of 10,994
Another question. With all three of the headphones I've mentioned, K701, T1 and HD600 - the first thing I've noticed when they aren't amplified is how thin they sound comparative to hearing them from a decent amp. If the 100hz frequency is actually easier to achieve - then why wouldn't they sound warm and overly thumpy rather than thin and weak (like the bass has gone AWOL)?

I'm assuming you've got your impressions listening at fairly similar levels

I think there's no universal answer for your question.
I can only share some views and personal experiences.

Some low grade amplifiers have significant roll-off in the lower frequencies.
Some smartphones cut-off at 60Hz by default (not sure why).
I've tried warm iPods, and slightly bright iPods too.

Not sure what amplifiers you've used when comparing, but some (quality) high end amps are indeed slightly on the warm side of things (some Violectrics for example)

I've tried HD600 and DT880/250 plugged directly into a low grade Samsung Galaxy Young (S5367).
Far from thin both sounded full and darkish/veiled/not clear to my ears, but bass wasn't lacking, it was more on the bloomy side specially with HD600.
I've also tried DT990/250 plugged directly into a Lenovo laptop with similar results, less clarity / more diffuse / softer presentation but bass was still there, although not as detailed.

Most of these low grade devices offered less contrast than a quality DAC/Amp, and contrast naturally bring up the perceived bass impact.

Going from Fiio E10 to Schiit Magni some time ago, the weaker Fiio was slightly warmer to my ears.

Greetings!

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #9,438 of 10,994
  Hey guys, is the latest batch of T1s revised or something? The pattern inside the earcup looks different. 

Probably they already used here some of the thing from the Second Edition. http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/newt1.pdf
 Compared to its predecessor, the new T 1 shines through a stronger and more precise bass reproduction. This gives the sound more substance and ensures a balanced listening experience in a class. An additional damping in the heart of the Tesla driver resonances at high frequencies are eliminated. With the aim to create the ultimate sound experience, the geometry of the baffle structure was fundamentally optimized and the one-ply baffle tissue replaced by a more stable high-tech compound fabric. Thus, a resonance of the tissue is reduced to a minimum and thus produces an even clearer sound reproduction."

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #9,440 of 10,994
While it's better to go with what sounds best to your ears. Reading and understanding the graphs and how it correlates it to how you perceive sound is just as important. This it to avoid unnecessarily shooting in the dark finding the amp which works best for you. Unfortunately, a lot of misconceptions about having excess power changes how a headphone sound. I don't think O2 struggles to drive T1. It just sound different than other amps especially tube amps. But it's not because it lacks power.

I always hear people claims T1 needs more power than what O2 or similar amps can provide but fail to give the exact numbers. Comments like shrill, anemic or sibilant doesn't mean a thing as far as power requirement goes. 

The O2 has plenty of power for the T1, HD800 and HE560, in my opinion, it has a tipped up treble that doesn't mate well with the aforementioned HPs.

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #9,441 of 10,994
No wonder why I couldn't find anything about that. It's in German! Thanks

And whoa, does that PDF mention detachable cable?

It does say the cable is detachable, wonder when the HD800s update will be launched?!?!?

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #9,442 of 10,994
Seems like they took a note from my T1 damping mod? Either way I knew this was coming for sometime.

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #9,443 of 10,994

** When I say weak amplifiers I mean weak amplifiers, not talking about Magni or O2, those are pretty powerful.

Here's an example: Dante's Prayer from 'Live in Paris and Toronto'

We need more voltage swing for the bass, because bass is louder on the recording.

Such a freaking good point. Thanks.
Does this fact bring us to our first statement? "T1 needs more Voltage in bass region to sound loud enough"

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #9,444 of 10,994
The M8 can drive T1 to a moderately good level. But when I had it, it was clear to me that the O2 can push more voltage into T1. I sold my M8, it can do a lot of things and lots of fancy features but to me it does not do one thing very well. It can match the O2 at the same volume level but it has not enough juice to power less efficient cans. It all hiss a lot when used with highly sensitive iems. It can sound good alright but to me it's a product that does wants to do a lot of things but not can't be the best of anything.

Interesting, as I came across another review available on CEntrance web site that said this:

"Up next was the Beyerdynamic T1, modded to accept balanced cables. Again, I started by using an unbalanced cable. Immediately, I was impressed by the sound. I had never heard the T1 sounding this good before. The sound was full. There was no brittle and jarring trebles that I sometimes heard with other amps. The mids had more body and generally the sound stage was more 3D like.

But the real surprise came when I switched to the balanced cable. Holy cow! The difference was anything but subtle. The bass on the T1 sounded like that from the LCD-2! The imaging was much more defined. Vocals were smoother with more body and the highs were crystalline. The overall resolution was stunning. It was like listening to a totally different pair of headphones. It was hands down the best that I have heard from the T1 so far. All that from this tiny amp. Unbelievable.

I wanted a second opinion. So, I brought the M8 and T1 to my office (yes, I do have a day job) and asked a colleague who has been an audiophile for years to take a listen. We used his iPhone 5 as source. Soon, adjectives like "superb", "incredible", "marvelous" started spewing from his mouth. After the audition, he concluded by saying "Why would anyone need anything else?" Mind you, this guy is not your regular man on the street. He has heard and owned some of the best audio equipment known to mankind. Such high praises from him is very rare."

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #9,445 of 10,994
Aug 2, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #9,447 of 10,994
Interesting, as I came across another review available on CEntrance web site that said this:

"Up next was the Beyerdynamic T1, modded to accept balanced cables. Again, I started by using an unbalanced cable. Immediately, I was impressed by the sound. I had never heard the T1 sounding this good before. The sound was full. There was no brittle and jarring trebles that I sometimes heard with other amps. The mids had more body and generally the sound stage was more 3D like.

But the real surprise came when I switched to the balanced cable. Holy cow! The difference was anything but subtle. The bass on the T1 sounded like that from the LCD-2! The imaging was much more defined. Vocals were smoother with more body and the highs were crystalline. The overall resolution was stunning. It was like listening to a totally different pair of headphones. It was hands down the best that I have heard from the T1 so far. All that from this tiny amp. Unbelievable.

I wanted a second opinion. So, I brought the M8 and T1 to my office (yes, I do have a day job) and asked a colleague who has been an audiophile for years to take a listen. We used his iPhone 5 as source. Soon, adjectives like "superb", "incredible", "marvelous" started spewing from his mouth. After the audition, he concluded by saying "Why would anyone need anything else?" Mind you, this guy is not your regular man on the street. He has heard and owned some of the best audio equipment known to mankind. Such high praises from him is very rare."

Is there is no way to use balanced cables with the T1 without soldering & re-soldering the current cable?

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #9,448 of 10,994

As always sighted listening test is a flaw. If he is saying switching to balanced cable makes T1 sounded better then he must not be aware that the Centrance M8 is not a balanced amplifier. It only has a balanced output but it's internal circuit is no way balanced. 

Centrance called it "balanced impedance" a fancy way of saying it just have a balanced connector to accomodate cans terminated in with a balanced plug. As a said the M8 can do a lot of things but is not the best of anything it does. Yes it do sound good and I enjoyed it with my T1 but to me it just suffer from anidentity disorder.

It tries to be a portable amplifier/DAC but it's a brick and the battery life is lacklucster for a portable plus it hiss on ultra-sensitive iems (although their is a mod to decrease the hiss but you are giving up power). 

It does power full-size cans but still barely enough for wide-dynamic range music. T1 is not difficult to drive at all for the M8 but it feels the O2 drives it with more authority and control.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #9,449 of 10,994
The O2 has plenty of power for the T1, HD800 and HE560, in my opinion, it has a tipped up treble that doesn't mate well with the aforementioned HPs.

That's one way to look at it. But if O2 has been measured to be flat then those headphones you mention has a lot of treble than other cans. Anyway, the treble of T1 is what makes it very good and resolving. I thought O2 just let it all out for T1 to shine. Of course not everyone likes that kind of treble. 

Heck, I do enjoy the Grado cans which is even on a higher level of treble than the T1 is. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #9,450 of 10,994
That's one way to look at it. But if O2 has been measured to be flat then those headphones you mention has a lot of treble than other cans. Anyway, the treble of T1 is what makes it very good and resolving. I thought O2 just let it all out for T1 to shine. Of course not everyone likes that kind of treble. 

Heck, I do enjoy the Grado cans which is even on a higher level of treble than the T1 is. 

I enjoy some Grados, PS500e, PS1000/e, the older RS1i, RS1 were to hot for me. Though I have ears I trust who love them, I guess that's why there are many different headphones, amps, ..........There isn't "one to rule them all" yet!:beers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back