The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #9,316 of 10,994

"I don't want to get too crazy after the purchase of the headphones" ... I've said that before, lol! You're going to own like, 10 amps some day, my friend! I've learned it's better to pay once and be done with it. You'll save a lot of money that way. Just my two cents.

Totally agree, I wish I could go back in time and slap my former self 
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #9,317 of 10,994
I just got my T1's about a week ago, and when I put them on my head, I can hear a weird noise. It's like two really thin sheets of paper being rubbed together. Is this normal? I can only hear it, when I move the cans, not when it sits still. If I move my head too much, I can hear it too. It's almost as if something is loose inside of the cans. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #9,319 of 10,994
The O2 can output 88mW at 600 ohms, the T1 can handle up to 300mW.

Code:
mW dB
1 102
2 105
4 108
8 111
16 114
32 117
64 120
128 123
256 126

88 mW is plenty!

300 mW = permanent hearing damage

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #9,320 of 10,994
Damn, the $650 I paid off eBay for a gently used T1 doesn't seem like such a good deal now just a month later although they were already burned in! :) I am kind of stuck on getting an amp for it though. My Denon 3312ci drives the T1 just fine so I don't think I need a desktop amp but I would like to use the T1's with my iPhone 6S and laptop for semi-portable use meaning around the house. I keep going back to the JDS Labs C5D but the limited power worries me a little. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave  

For a cheap, portable solution with plenty of power I would recommend the Fiio E12.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #9,321 of 10,994
  The O2 can output 88mW at 600 ohms, the T1 can handle up to 300mW.  I've always followed the rule of thumb that it's a safe bet to have at least half of maximum power handling ability on tap to ensure enough dynamic headroom.  If you are a low volume listener it may be sufficient but I would recommend something with a little more power (for my tastes).  Your more likely to damage your gear driving a low power amp hard then a high power amp at a lower level.  I've been eyeing the Magni 2 Uber or Asgard 2 for a solid state bedroom option.  Both of which have significantly more power available at 600 ohms.

Magni 2 Uber

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-250KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.1W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.5W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 320mW RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 160mW RMS per channel

Asgard 2
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW RMS per channel

"I don't want to get too crazy after the purchase of the headphones" ... I've said that before, lol! You're going to own like, 10 amps some day, my friend! I've learned it's better to pay once and be done with it. You'll save a lot of money that way. Just my two cents.

But since you ask... the O2 sounds pretty darn good with the T1. It's punchy and clean and it can get plenty loud. However, I think there are better options available to you, if you're smart with your money. The For Sale/Trade forum actually has some really good options right now:

This guy is seller with +20 positive feedback. He has an Asgard 2 with shipping and Paypal included for $195:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/774489/schiit-asgard-2

Here are a couple of options that cost a little more, may help delay your upgradeitis for a bit:

Here's a dude with +36 positive feedback selling a barely used Valhalla 2 for $300:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/754017/mint-schiit-valhalla-2

And here's a Bottlehead Crack with shipping and Paypal included for $340:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/772308/bottlehead-crack

... Those amps will be a little more now, but they'll probably end up saving you money in the long run. Also, I don't know any of these sellers, I'm just telling you the deals I'd be looking at if I were in your shoes, based on my experience. I will say... generally speaking, I've found Head-Fi traders are about a million times easier to deal with than Ebay sellers!

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was looking into the Schiits, but wasn't sure which one was ideal. Seems like any of their amp offerings will be sufficient to power the T1s.

I was thinking around 200 for now, since I wont be able to spend much more for an amp for a while. Uni is starting up again, and tuition is going to hurt heh.
I agree with you though, I might end up selling my other headphones to get a nice amp, since I won't really be using all of them.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #9,322 of 10,994

This guy is seller with +20 positive feedback. He has an Asgard 2 with shipping and Paypal included for $195:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/774489/schiit-asgard-2

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was looking into the Schiits, but wasn't sure which one was ideal. Seems like any of their amp offerings will be sufficient to power the T1s.

I was thinking around 200 for now, since I wont be able to spend much more for an amp for a while. Uni is starting up again, and tuition is going to hurt heh.
I agree with you though, I might end up selling my other headphones to get a nice amp, since I won't really be using all of them.

If $200 is your limit, I'd PM that dude about his $195 Asgard 2, ASAP. That amp will serve you very well. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #9,323 of 10,994
wait for the next Massdrop on the Darkvoice336se for about 200bucks.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #9,324 of 10,994
  I just got my T1's about a week ago, and when I put them on my head, I can hear a weird noise. It's like two really thin sheets of paper being rubbed together. Is this normal? I can only hear it, when I move the cans, not when it sits still. If I move my head too much, I can hear it too. It's almost as if something is loose inside of the cans. 

Could it be your hair? I've had similar issues before with my T1 depending how long my hair is. 
Otherwise, the T1 are quite easy to take apart if you really think it's something inside the cans.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #9,325 of 10,994

Maybe the earpads moving a little bit?

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #9,327 of 10,994

Could it be your hair? I've had similar issues before with my T1 depending how long my hair is. 
Otherwise, the T1 are quite easy to take apart if you really think it's something inside the cans.

Yeah, I've had similar noises coming from all the hair rubbing against stuff when I'm wearing headphones.

It could also be noise transmitted into the headphone shell from the cable rubbing against you.

Grip the cable and hold it away from you and see if it still happens.

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #9,328 of 10,994
  Code:
Code:
 mW dB 1 102 2 105 4 108 8 111 16 114 32 117 64 120 128 123 256 126

88 mW is plenty!

300 mW = permanent hearing damage

My post was aimed at dynamic headroom for musical peaks, not specifically sustained listening levels. Few amplifiers list a spec for max dynamic voltage/current so you must extrapolate an idea of the peak capabilities from the listed specs. Depending on the headphone/speaker's impedance curve and sensitivity a dynamic peak can require several times the "power" required for sustained listening.  If the amplifier you are using does not have sufficient voltage or current to reach the demands of the peak the result is a clipped signal.  Clipped signals are not something I want to put through a $800+ headphone.   The T1's max out at 1400 ohms @ roughly 100hz according to the measurements over at inner fidelity.  This is not your run of the mill impedance curve.   Having too much power is not a problem unless it leaves you with no useable space on the volume pot.  Having too little power is much riskier than too much (unless you are careless in your volume setting).  Given the negligible cost difference and the reputation of both, the O2 was never in the consideration given the other more powerful options available.   

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #9,329 of 10,994
Looking for advice on stepping up to T1.

I'm still looking for my favorite sound signature and haven't listened to any Beyers. Reading this thread and reviews has put the T1 on my map. HD700 seems a bit controversial - I had a brief listen and could kind of tell where the criticism was coming from. HD800 is just too expensive. I value comfort too.

I own HD598 and X2and I prefer the clarity of HD598, but X2 extends further down and is pretty pleasant once you get used to the dark voicing. I listen to small combo jazz, some electronica, reggae/dub, classic rock, African pop and classical (20th century and chamber music) and whatever floats my boat at the moment. Some stuff is pretty badly recorded (early punk, early rock, African for local markets, early jazz like Louis Armstrong) and that doesn't really annoy me, it's just part of what those records are, but I wouldn't want the flaws highlighted. Just want to enjoy the music, warts and all. X2 lets me just hit random play and enjoy whatever comes up, which is great but some tracks just sound ... different.

I'm looking for clarity, resolution, and neutrality. I want to listen to the music as recorded, which is why I also prefer neutral SS amp (I have M/M2U). I am really not interested in tube rolling but if I get a 600 Ohm phone, I'll probably build a Crack just for kicks.  I'll keep my amp/dac until I hit my upper limit in headphones.

OK, end wall of text...

Which lower-end Beyer should I look for to get an idea? DT880/600? I'll need to listen for a couple months and don't want to jump blind into T1. Looking for an all-rounder, not going to start collecting headphones (already have 3 pairs of decent cans).

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #9,330 of 10,994
Try this link - should help
http://www.head-fi.org/t/727739/comparison-review-beyerdynamic-s-siblings-the-classic-dt880-vs-the-flagship-t1

I'd suggest either 250 or 600 ohm DT880 depending on which amp you currently have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back