The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 21, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #8,597 of 10,994
  I do know how to solder, I replaced the drivers and recabled a pair of esw9s, but I don't really want to mess around with such an expensive headphone... I know moon audio and headphone.com would do it, but I was wondering about other recommendations... BTG audio, anything else?

Changing to XL4 is *really* easy as the cable is already 4-pin... just search this thread for several descriptions (I think I posted one myself, including pin assignment). Really no need to send them off...

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #8,598 of 10,994
Dear Head-Fiers, 
T1 #20282 owner here! Been loving the music ever since but was worried about a bottleneck at my amp department?
I realised that earlier posts in the thread suggest a tube amp for best 'synergy', and I am using 
320kbps spotify > ODAC > O2 > T1,
How much do you think I'd benefit from an upgrade to a tube amp?
I usually listen to metallica, avenged sevenfold, linkin park, and some latest music like meghan trainor, charli xcx, etc.
some kpop as well. :)
Note: I live in the UK, so obtaining certain amps are more difficult.
Thanks in advance, and thanks Beyerdynamic!

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #8,599 of 10,994
to tube or not to tube is a personal preference.  i personally prefer the tube sound, others don't.  the best tube amp for the T1 for the price to performance ratio i believe is the otl bottlehead crack as far as i know it really makes the T1 shine.  i have a WA7+tp which is also an excellent tube amp.  there are many others but those are two many recommend.  best bang for your buck i imagine to be the bottlehead and you can even get it as a kit and built it yourself.  perhaps you owuld save some import duties that way and i suppose you could get most of the parts locally.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #8,600 of 10,994

Changing to XL4 is *really* easy as the cable is already 4-pin... just search this thread for several descriptions (I think I posted one myself, including pin assignment). Really no need to send them off...

+1 (or is i +2?)

Mine was very easy to reterminate to XLR-4pin.  Don't sweat it --- (no soldering pun intended)

1. You're not messing with the actual headphone.... and 

2. The T1 cable is so long, you could butcher it a couple of times and still have plenty of cable left to work with.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #8,601 of 10,994
Agreed, I found mine very easy to do. The only thing I'd mention is that the wire is very fine. If you are >40, a strong light and magnifying glass might be in order.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #8,602 of 10,994
OK, I'll consider giving it a shot - my eyes are fine! What plug do you all recommend?

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #8,603 of 10,994
Hi there T1 owners!

I'm currently very tempted to order one of these as I can currently get them new for just under 700€ which is looking like a solid price compared to the normal which is a lot closer to 1000€ (and especially considering that they're competing with the best of the best?).

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 being driven by the O2 (and ODAC). I really like them and am not exactly looking to replace the HD 600 as such, but sometimes I feel like it would be nice to have something to compliment them (something a little more "lively" with more bass and treble, but not strictly V-shaped). I'm only considering the T1 because of the low price, but I'm unsure if it's actually what I'm looking for. The store has a 30 day return policy, though.

I'm also not planning on getting a different amplifier for the foreseeable future (700€ on headphones is quite a lot as it is for me). I see that some of you are running it out of the O2 - how does it sound? Is it "good enough"? I have the Epiphany Acoustics version which has 1x/5x gain.

On one hand it would be nice to simply buy them and be able to have flagship level detail, but at the moment I don't particularly feel that the HD 600 is lacking in this aspect (I haven't listened to anything more expensive, though). For this reason, coupled with the fact that I'm not looking to replace the 600, I'm wondering if it would be better for me to go with the cheaper T90?

Thank you for any help!

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #8,604 of 10,994
Paid close to retail for mine a while back. Even with how much i paid before, I never regretted it. I don't have the O2 or ODAC but I have seen some posters saying it is on par (some even say even better than the Centrance HiFi M8). Can't recall the thread but I will search for it. 

Anyway, while I don't have the O2, I have the HiFi M8, and the T1s are fantastic on them. 

I've also tested the HD600 on the HiFi M8, and while I have not done a direct conparison, I can say that I preferred the T1 by lots. 

Sub $1000 for T1s is a steal imho. :)

Good luck with the decision! :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #8,605 of 10,994
  Hi there T1 owners!

I'm currently very tempted to order one of these as I can currently get them new for just under 700€ which is looking like a solid price compared to the normal which is a lot closer to 1000€ (and especially considering that they're competing with the best of the best?).

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 being driven by the O2 (and ODAC). I really like them and am not exactly looking to replace the HD 600 as such, but sometimes I feel like it would be nice to have something to compliment them (something a little more "lively" with more bass and treble, but not strictly V-shaped). I'm only considering the T1 because of the low price, but I'm unsure if it's actually what I'm looking for. The store has a 30 day return policy, though.

I'm also not planning on getting a different amplifier for the foreseeable future (700€ on headphones is quite a lot as it is for me). I see that some of you are running it out of the O2 - how does it sound? Is it "good enough"? I have the Epiphany Acoustics version which has 1x/5x gain.

On one hand it would be nice to simply buy them and be able to have flagship level detail, but at the moment I don't particularly feel that the HD 600 is lacking in this aspect (I haven't listened to anything more expensive, though). For this reason, coupled with the fact that I'm not looking to replace the 600, I'm wondering if it would be better for me to go with the cheaper T90?

Thank you for any help!

O² in itself is good enough to drive adequately T1 no problem in terms of power/ voltage /  reachable volume . Depending on what you are looking for it can be very pleasent , but their is many other amps wich have much more "flavor" and can be more enjoyable with T1 depending on user taste .

The thing is , that your O² with the 1X/5X and ODAC as source , the gain are not optimal . AT 5X gain The O² with ODAC at full output (volume at 100% ) it will CLIP . 5X gain is good for weaker source like some DAPs/Portable Phones , laptop/deskopt line out etc .That output let('s say 1V , with 5X gain it gives 5V to headphone . (The limit on O² before clipping is about 7.0 V )

So you will have to say on 1X gain or lower the volume on software side if you use 5X gain to avoid clipping , 1X is OK on most of tracks , T1 is pretty efficient sensibility wise .  But if you tend to listen on the very loud side and use tracks with a wide dynamic range (like some classical stuff) 1X gain may not be enough ... and you will have to use 5X and try to avoid clipping by lowering volume on software side .

With ODAC as only source recommanded gain setting are => 1X and 3.5X you can still change it by changing resistances internally on O² .

If you want a complement for your HD600 , T1 is a good option , but you also can consider the DT-880 (even cheaper than T-90) .

I say it as former user of T1 , paired with O² (and other amps too) .

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #8,606 of 10,994
Is it true that there have been reported variance with the t1 in regard to sound? 
If this is indeed true, I'm seriously starting to doubt if the t1's I bought used for very cheap will sound in the norm.
I do remember demoing the dt1350 are an audio store that sounded completing different to a used pair I purchased a few months later. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #8,607 of 10,994
  Paid close to retail for mine a while back. Even with how much i paid before, I never regretted it. I don't have the O2 or ODAC but I have seen some posters saying it is on par (some even say even better than the Centrance HiFi M8). Can't recall the thread but I will search for it. 

Anyway, while I don't have the O2, I have the HiFi M8, and the T1s are fantastic on them. 

I've also tested the HD600 on the HiFi M8, and while I have not done a direct conparison, I can say that I preferred the T1 by lots. 

Sub $1000 for T1s is a steal imho. :)

Good luck with the decision! :)

Thank you. That is reassuring :).

O² in itself is good enough to drive adequately T1 no problem in terms of power/ voltage /  reachable volume . Depending on what you are looking for it can be very pleasent , but their is many other amps wich have much more "flavor" and can be more enjoyable with T1 depending on user taste .

The thing is , that your O² with the 1X/5X and ODAC as source , the gain are not optimal . AT 5X gain The O² with ODAC at full output (volume at 100% ) it will CLIP . 5X gain is good for weaker source like some DAPs/Portable Phones , laptop/deskopt line out etc .That output let('s say 1V , with 5X gain it gives 5V to headphone . (The limit on O² before clipping is about 7.0 V )

So you will have to say on 1X gain or lower the volume on software side if you use 5X gain to avoid clipping , 1X is OK on most of tracks , T1 is pretty efficient sensibility wise .  But if you tend to listen on the very loud side and use tracks with a wide dynamic range (like some classical stuff) 1X gain may not be enough ... and you will have to use 5X and try to avoid clipping by lowering volume on software side .

With ODAC as only source recommanded gain setting are => 1X and 3.5X you can still change it by changing resistances internally on O² .

If you want a complement for your HD600 , T1 is a good option , but you also can consider the DT-880 (even cheaper than T-90) .

I say it as former user of T1 , paired with O² (and other amps too) .

Yeah, I know about not using the gain switch on the O2. I don't really listen very loud, so I don't think it should be a problem. I'm not sure how sensitive the T1 is compared to HD 600, but I always keep the amplifier on 1x gain and never really have the volume knob higher than the 11 o'clock mark (sometimes closer to 12 with quiet classical recordings).

I've tried the DT 880 Premium (250 ohm) briefly and found them pretty good, but the treble was a little wild on tracks with lots of cymbals (but otherwise not a problem), however, they were not properly amped. The main thing that was a problem for me was the headband; it put too much pressure on my head causing a dull pain. I don't have this problem with the Pro models of the DT-series. By the looks of it, the T90/T1 have better padding so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #8,608 of 10,994
  Dear Head-Fiers, 
T1 #20282 owner here! Been loving the music ever since but was worried about a bottleneck at my amp department?
I realised that earlier posts in the thread suggest a tube amp for best 'synergy', and I am using 
320kbps spotify > ODAC > O2 > T1,
How much do you think I'd benefit from an upgrade to a tube amp?
I usually listen to metallica, avenged sevenfold, linkin park, and some latest music like meghan trainor, charli xcx, etc.
some kpop as well. :)
Note: I live in the UK, so obtaining certain amps are more difficult.
Thanks in advance, and thanks Beyerdynamic!

I'd be tempted to get a tube amp if I were in your shoes, particularly for listening to kpop, and modern pop - the bottlehead gave mine a bit more of a bump in the lower frequencies and certainly sounded more pleasing in the midrange (bit more warmth) with artists like 2NE1, SNSD, Amber, 4minute, f(x) and stuff like Charli XCX, Lorde, Robyn, M.I.A. The o2, is a bit too neutral for my tastes with brighter cans like a T1, HD800, K812 etc. As always YMMV and best to see if you can audition something along the line.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #8,609 of 10,994
  Is it true that there have been reported variance with the t1 in regard to sound? 
If this is indeed true, I'm seriously starting to doubt if the t1's I bought used for very cheap will sound in the norm.
I do remember demoing the dt1350 are an audio store that sounded completing different to a used pair I purchased a few months later. 

That's a contentious issue and I've no wish to re-stoke the fire :) Plenty of discussion on it earlier in the thread.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #8,610 of 10,994
  Thank you. That is reassuring :).

Yeah, I know about not using the gain switch on the O2. I don't really listen very loud, so I don't think it should be a problem. I'm not sure how sensitive the T1 is compared to HD 600, but I always keep the amplifier on 1x gain and never really have the volume knob higher than the 11 o'clock mark (sometimes closer to 12 with quiet classical recordings).

I've tried the DT 880 Premium (250 ohm) briefly and found them pretty good, but the treble was a little wild on tracks with lots of cymbals (but otherwise not a problem), however, they were not properly amped. The main thing that was a problem for me was the headband; it put too much pressure on my head causing a dull pain. I don't have this problem with the Pro models of the DT-series. By the looks of it, the T90/T1 have better padding so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.

T1 sensitivity is higher than HD600 102 dB/mW VS 97 dB/ mW in other hands T1 impedance is higher 600 ohms VS 300 ohms , but you should be able to use approximately the same plot range that you use with HD600 , at least when i had T1 and HD600 i used the same volume plot position and only done small volume adjustements on foobar  (usualy beetwen 10h30 to 1 o'clock for the plot range and 1X gain) .

For the Premium DT880 being more clampy than the DT-880 pro is unusual , the clamping pressure on Pro line is normaly higher . Well T1 is a confortable headphone , at least most people who used it think this way .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back