The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #6,886 of 10,994
  I don't think there's anything wrong with and ODAC (around 100$) so it's my recommendation. Gives you a quality source which you can then fine tune with the amp choice if you so wish
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the suggestion. Absolutely love the pricing of the ODAC. Will definitely consider it 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #6,887 of 10,994

Thanks for the suggestion. Absolutely love the pricing of the ODAC. Will definitely consider it 
normal_smile%20.gif

I'm not knocking the ODAC because it's great for the price, but thought it might be worth mentioning that you can definitely get better DACs when you spend a bit more. (And before anyone jumps in and says it's not about the price, my point is that there are better DACs available that happen to cost more than the ODAC, not that more expensive DACs are necessarily better 
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #6,888 of 10,994

I'm not knocking the ODAC because it's great for the price, but thought it might be worth mentioning that you can definitely get better DACs when you spend a bit more. (And before anyone jumps in and says it's not about the price, my point is that there are better DACs available that happen to cost more than the ODAC, not that more expensive DACs are necessarily better 
biggrin.gif
)

I tend to agree with you Loquah. Although I will consider the ODAC, I think I will end up with a more refined DAC because I want to get the most out of the T1. 

Currently favoring the following 2 setups:

1) NAD M51 + WA2 +T1
2) Calyx 24/192 + WA2 + T1

Any more info from anybody on how these 2 setups sound would be greatly appreciated. I would also love to hear any other competing setups for the T1 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #6,889 of 10,994

Thanks very much for the input folks. I'm definitely interested in this setup. Just a quick question: how did you find the soundstage with this setup? 

Pretty large; but natural sounding. Most of my listening is geezer rock. With the 192/24 version of CS&N, you can close your eyes and point to Steven Stills standing 6-8 feet away. You can also tell that Graham Nash is in the middle and moves from left to right. My chain definitely has a 1st 10 rows sound to it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #6,891 of 10,994
  Pretty large; but natural sounding. Most of my listening is geezer rock. With the 192/24 version of CS&N, you can close your eyes and point to Steven Stills standing 6-8 feet away. You can also tell that Graham Nash is in the middle and moves from left to right. My chain definitely has a 1st 10 rows sound to it.

That is awesome. It sounds exactly like the kind of sound stage that I'm after. 

Just one final question if you don't mind: do you get any hot treble and/or harsh sibilance with the M51+WA2+T1 ? 

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #6,893 of 10,994

I tend to agree with you Loquah. Although I will consider the ODAC, I think I will end up with a more refined DAC because I want to get the most out of the T1. 

Currently favoring the following 2 setups:

1) NAD M51 + WA2 +T1
2) Calyx 24/192 + WA2 + T1

Any more info from anybody on how these 2 setups sound would be greatly appreciated. I would also love to hear any other competing setups for the T1 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks!

I should have mentioned the X-Sabre from Matrix earlier when this discussion came up. I haven't heard it side-by-side with the M51, but my impression having listened to both is that the M51 may be slightly warmer sounding. The X-Sabre is musical, but very clean and smooth. It can sound harsh if a recording is harsh, but to me that's how it should be - I don't want stuff too smoothed out. It's a really nice compliment with my various tube and SS amps combined with the T1s. Soundstage is excellent as is detail retrieval.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #6,895 of 10,994
   That is awesome. It sounds exactly like the kind of sound stage that I'm after. 

Just one final question if you don't mind: do you get any hot treble and/or harsh sibilance with the M51+WA2+T1 ? 

I was able to control the treble by tube rolling prior to buying the M51. Preamp tubes seem to affect treble the most. Siemens E88cc and Sylvania 6922 were too hot in the treble for me. I prefer Amperex or Phillips (Holland) with a large O getter, though I have some nice Mazda's as well. Tube rolling is half the fun with the Woo.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #6,899 of 10,994
Buydig has a sale on the T1's for $749! Hurry, you will see the price reflected in the cart.

Edit - Oh! You guys beat me to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back