The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #6,541 of 10,994
Some thoughts on the T1's with film capacitors added to my Bottlehead Crack

Ok this has been a lot harder to put down than I first thought but here some impressions on the JFX film capacitors I fitted to my BHCrack.

BHCrack+Speedball+Valab attenuator+JFX film capacitors

Tubes Tung-Sol 5998 & Mullard 12au7

Headphones Beyerdynamic Tesla T1

The instantly most noticeable change to the sound has been clarity and it is really hard to put this into words just how much this has improved it is also a bit mind bending to think it wasn’t so clear before.

A visualization might be looking out over a scene on a grey day and seeing an area that is bathed in a shaft of sunlight which makes everything sharper, colours pop out and shapes are more clearly defined and focused. Everything within the area of sunlight is just more vivid.

The perception of sound stage with the T1’s is not much wider than before but it now has greater depth and a smoother and more seamless feel to it.  With the improved clarity I can look deeper into the soundstage and recording to focus on individual instruments within, this placement depth and resolution is very noticeable on live recordings.

For lack of better words music just flows better, it rises and falls as needed and washes over you with an effortlessness to the dynamics.

This is really hard to describe but its changed how the T1’s connect me with the music there is no more sense of viewing from say three rows back.

It feels much more like 'being there' I can be further back viewing a musical in a theatre listening to say Les Miserables taking in the whole scene or next find myself sitting across the table from Melody Gardot or Diana Krall, who are now singing just for me.  On another track I am right on stage right in the middle of the mix with musicians to the left and right and behind enveloped in sound (this really was a first for me and an amazing “Holy Cow I am on the stage” moment, thank you Florence).

This all makes for an increased feel to the atmosphere and venue on live recordings as the music flows out and fills the venues and gives a sense of air as a beautiful solo vocal floats up high into the vaults of a cathedrals ceiling, it’s just beautiful to hear.

Pretty much all instruments sound better, the distortion of an electric guitar, brushes on drums, the little metal cymbals of a tambourine as they vibrate on both sides when shaken these little details keep coming through, plucks on strings the woodiness of instruments the bounce back on kick-drum or a sense of hollowness to an acoustic guitar or the density of the wood castanets are made of. The transparency of those subtle nuances of tones and textures draw you into the music. To many times just one more track turns into one more album way into the small hours of the morning.

The capacitors sonics have definitely improved as they burned in. I had a strange intermittent buzz noise in the lower frequencies on some jazz tracks I couldn’t quiet put my finger on what it was. It was just not right I wondered if my headphones had started to develop a problem with reproduction of the frequency. After about 60hrs this buzz has become more defined and developed into a thrum resonance sound from a plucked double bass string.

The T1’s are a fantastic headphones in many respects but I was very pleased to hear after about 100hrs a welcome hint of soulfulness develop in the midrange and just a little more warmth, body and loveliness to vocals which I think they are the better for.

The T1’s have scaled well with the addition of the film caps and I continue to be amazed by the reproduction of music I listen to and those out of headphone experiences that catch you by surprise have become much more frequent. I have been very pleased with the results of fitting the film caps.

I hope some of this makes a little sense.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #6,542 of 10,994
It feels much more like 'being there' I can be further back viewing a musical in a theatre listening to say Les Miserables taking in the whole scene or next find myself sitting across the table from Melody Gardot or Diana Krall, who are now singing just for me.

This type of presentation is one several reasons why I've kept my Grado sr325is. Instead of upgrading to the RS1i, I'm considering the versatility of the T1. Since I'm content with the E12, I'm guessing I won't need to upgrade the amp right away to start enjoying the T1.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #6,543 of 10,994
Just finished my new ALO DIY cable for my T1.  I have had my T1 for 3 weeks, let them break in.  I listened to them with the stock cable for the last three weeks, to become familiar with the sound.  I can say that the stock cable is good, but this ALO high purity copper, cryoed wire, 8 wire braid, is quite an improvement (6moons did a review of this combo).  All of my headphone cables have detachable mini XLR by Amphenol, so I have 8 other high quality cables to compare as well....they are all detachable and interchangeable between my T1, DT880 600 ohm, DT990 600 ohm, and Sennheiser HD580.  So, now the fun really starts, as each cable has it's own personality, that is easily discernible from the others.  Ahhh, audiophile bliss at last!

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #6,544 of 10,994
  The capacitors sonics have definitely improved as they burned in. I had a strange intermittent buzz noise in the lower frequencies on some jazz tracks I couldn’t quiet put my finger on what it was. It was just not right I wondered if my headphones had started to develop a problem with reproduction of the frequency. After about 60hrs this buzz has become more defined and developed into a thrum resonance sound from a plucked double bass string.

I convinced a colleague to try the Sony MDR1 instead of a pair of entry level Beats. One day, he comes to me and says the Sony phones were broken and have this buzzing sound he's never heard before on any of his previous headphones (by that he means bundled buds). He also complained about other things, like no booming bass ala beats and that the sonys were inferior. 

He was pretty upset and wanted to take it back. So I took the Sonys and listened. I detected that string resonance you mentioned and told him it was in the recording, and the other things he was hearing was music done right. He went nuts, said I was crazy. He's listened to this song (I've forgotten, but I will ask) apparently twenty million times (his number not mine), and has never heard this before.

The next day, I bring the T1 and PanAm, and let him have a go. At ten minutes in, he looked bewildered - disoriented. Like he was unsure what was happening. At twenty minutes in, the expression was of clear shock. Then contentment. I let him have the gear for half a day. He said he heard things in his music that he's never experienced before and called it surreal.

Suffice to say he never returned the Sonys. But he still hates me for bringing in the T1. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #6,545 of 10,994
Definitely not brain burn in. I've been listening to mine for a month, and I agree that the bass has gotten much deeper and more authortive with higher sound pressure levels. They sounded beautiful right out of the box but the impact was lacking, I didn't think they were going to change much, but they did. ..i hate to take them off. I can't see a hp getting much better than these.

You know my impressions were exactly the same.

Interestingly though, a friend of mine got some new T1s around Christmas time.
I tried them next to my 3 year old T1 and I couldn't tell any difference.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #6,546 of 10,994
Hi there

I am shortly pulling the trigger on a set of T1s. Initially I will run these straight out of my iBasso DX100 but hope to amp them with a WA2 when funds allow.

How does this plan sound to you?

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #6,547 of 10,994
Hi there

I am shortly pulling the trigger on a set of T1s. Initially I will run these straight out of my iBasso DX100 but hope to amp them with a WA2 when funds allow.

How does this plan sound to you?

Thanks in advance

Nathan

DX100 should do fine with the T1s, but it does have a fairly analytical / dry presentation which might leave the T1s sounding a little edgy. Just beware of that so you don't decide you hate the T1s before giving them a chance with the right amplification.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #6,548 of 10,994
Thanks Lachlan

Btw, I used to be known as w0lfd0g, but asked for my account to be suspended due to depression and tube addiction. Think I have overcome this now.

Cheers

Nathan

Btw - Bonus points if you can spot the strange connection between my old and new user names.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #6,549 of 10,994
  You know, it's really strange but I had the exact opposite reaction. I had (have, but haven't used it in 3-4? years since getting my T1) the HD 650. When I got my T1 I could never put the HD650 back on my head. I might dig them out and see if I still feel the same way. Or sell them, they are just sitting there doing nothing (O)_o. My T1 recently had an accident of epic proportions though so I am considering buying a new pair. Or something different.

I genuinely think the HD650 is rubbish compared to the T1. It just sounded muffled and sludge-like. Well, to my ears anyway.

You know what I am going to dig the box out and try them. maybe it was just new owner syndrome when I got my T1.

When I heard the T1 the only thing I could think of in my collection that sounded close to it in terms of frequency response was my HD650s.  I agree that the T1 drivers are indeed vastly superior in detail retrieval.  I could not detect any brightness at all.

The HD800 and T1 was introduced at about the same time.  At that time it seemed that more people preferred the T1.  Seems odd now, because everyone seems to think the HD800 is the most transparent thing going around right now...which is false.  But yes it does seem more transparent than the T1...except for one very important factor.

The T1 has a better balanced frequency response - it is simply more neutral than the HD800.  I guess "air" is more important than neutrality in today's head-fi environment. 

Basically we have two extremes at head-fi.  Bass head ameuturism and now Air head elitism...the truth is in the middle.  I think the T1 straddles the middle very well.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #6,550 of 10,994
Thanks Lachlan

Btw, I used to be known as w0lfd0g, but asked for my account to be suspended due to depression and tube addiction. Think I have overcome this now.

Cheers

Nathan

Btw - Bonus points if you can spot the strange connection between my old and new user names.

Wolfgang A. Mozart :)

When you get your T1 - listen to this and get ready to take on the world again. welcome back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmVOuLgFB0

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #6,551 of 10,994
Thanks Lachlan

Cheers

Nathan

W0lf(gang)d0g Armadeus MoatsArt?

On a different note, thanks to everyone who was recommending Muse. Great band (can't believe I hadn't heard them previously) and great sounds on the T1!

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #6,552 of 10,994

W0lf(gang)d0g Armadeus MoatsArt?

On a different note, thanks to everyone who was recommending Muse. Great band (can't believe I hadn't heard them previously) and great sounds on the T1!

I'm a bass head and the Tl shines when it comes to Rock and bass,  It's hard to beat Chris Wolstenholme on bass 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back