The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 20, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #21,856 of 23,532
Besides the costs, 64 Audio IEMs are ideal daily drivers / workhorses. The comfort and flexibility of APEX cannot be overstated. Any time I open the case of the U12T, I feel like taking out a work tool rather than a boutique fancy toys that must be enjoyed in dimly lit room with a drink.

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #21,857 of 23,532
U4s with a pure silver cable is mind blowing good. Prefer it to U12T.
What silver cable are you using? I am finding them to be an extraordinary ‘value’ with the stock cable, but open to suggestions!

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #21,858 of 23,532
Besides the costs, 64 Audio IEMs are ideal daily drivers / workhorses. The comfort and flexibility of APEX cannot be overstated. Any time I open the case of the U12T, I feel like taking out a work tool rather than a boutique fancy toys that must be enjoyed in dimly lit room with a drink.
Totally agree, as much as we carry on about tuning, soundstage, timbre, driver config, source pairings etc etc, for me the comfort factor is often even more important. What's the point of an IEM's great SQ if you can't keep them in your ears for long periods?

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #21,859 of 23,532
The M20 module will give the least amount of treble with the U12t. I personally like the M15 module for a good balance.
Yes but I need m20 in other to have higher noise isolation during travel

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #21,860 of 23,532
Same here. I spent last week using the M20 and the MX. I definitely prefer the M15 for most tracks. Honestly, with the U12t / M15 and the Shanling M6U player I can't find any fault at all with the sound, for me it's just perfect, exquisite. I want to pick up another IEM just for some variation and I'm having a problem figuring out what to buy because for me the 12t isn't lacking anything at all, so what really compliments that?!
A good compliment can be the UM Indigo in order to have wider soundstage and an exciting treble presentation

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #21,861 of 23,532
Same here. I spent last week using the M20 and the MX. I definitely prefer the M15 for most tracks. Honestly, with the U12t / M15 and the Shanling M6U player I can't find any fault at all with the sound, for me it's just perfect, exquisite. I want to pick up another IEM just for some variation and I'm having a problem figuring out what to buy because for me the 12t isn't lacking anything at all, so what really compliments that?!
What cable are you using?

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #21,862 of 23,532
I’ve got a question for all the U12t, U18t/s, Nio, and U6t owners. Give that the price for the custom versions of above iems are the same as the universals. If you had to purchase them all over again would you go the custom route or stick with the universals and why?
Stick with U12t and get the adv sound eartune custom tips

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #21,863 of 23,532
Stick with U12t and get the adv sound eartune custom tips
Thanks for the tip suggestion! I’ve got the U4s coming tomorrow so I’m sure I’ll be trying out different tips with it. Probably won’t buy another set of universal iems in the foreseeable future. My next set of iems will be some custom ones.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #21,864 of 23,532
Thanks for the tip suggestion! I’ve got the U4s coming tomorrow so I’m sure I’ll be trying out different tips with it. Probably won’t by another set of universal iems in the foreseeable future. My next set of iems will be some custom ones.
Do try the Acoustune AET06 m+ with them if you get a hold of those. Work great with the U12t.

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #21,865 of 23,532
The U4S truly are a great set of iems, irregardless of price!

But if talking about “for the price”, I can happily say that it’s my new $1K range category champion.

Great job guys :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 21, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #21,866 of 23,532
What cable are you using?
A good compliment can be the UM Indigo in order to have wider soundstage and an exciting treble presentation

I'm using a Plussound Exo.
Thanks for this!! Interesting, I'll definitely check this out if I can, I may be able to demo it.

Apr 21, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #21,867 of 23,532
IMG_1365.jpeg

It has arrived! The U4s x Go Pod bundle!

Apr 21, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #21,868 of 23,532
IMG_1367.jpeg
IMG_1368.jpeg
IMG_1369.jpeg
IMG_1371.jpeg
IMG_1372.jpeg
IMG_1374.jpeg

Here is my initial impression regarding the packaging and materials plus some images.

Great presentation with the U4s packaging. Everything is organized neatly inside the box. The packaging and presentation both look and feel premium.

iFi Go Pod sits neatly inside a black charging case. The case itself looks very high quality when viewed from a distance. However, upon touch you can definitely tell it is plastic and the feel of the case is rather disappointing. The inside of the case looks and feels solid. With soft lining all around and two mini LED lights on the inside of the cover that illuminates the Go Pod when you lift open the case, a definite plus. Only wish the case itself was made with more of a premium material, carbon fiber perhaps.

Will post more thoughts at a later time after I put in some listening sessions. Cheers to all.

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #21,869 of 23,532
Here is my early impression of the U4s after a few hours of listening.

Let me start by saying that my IEM arsenal is very limited and so is my audiophile lingo.

I have not had any experience with any other universal IEMs that are in the realm of the U4s or greater. As such I am not able to provide an objective apples to apples comparison.

For past ten years I’ve been daily driving a pair of CIEMs from 64 Audio, their V3s, a very neutral sound signature. The other IEMs I have are two pairs of wireless buds, Beoplay EX, and Sennheiser Momentum TWS 2.

Here we go…

Source - Sony WM1AM2
Cables used - stock cable & Effect Audio Eros S
Apex Module - M15
Tips - medium foams that came with the U4s. Personally I don’t like the feel of silicone tips in my ears.

Bass - the mid-bass and sub-bass always stands out, very detailed to my ears. Great depth, punch and slam.

Mids - the mids are recessed when compared to my all BA V3s. However the detail retrieval and clarity in the mids on the U4s are definitely superior and very satisfying. Vocals actually sounded clearer with the U4s than my V3s.

Treble - this is my first true experience with the Tia driver and to my ears the treble is smooth and airy. I did demo the Tia Fourte several years ago for all of 20 minutes and at that time I thought the treble on the Fourte was a bit too bright for my ears.

Soundstage - U4s soundstage felt deep to me. And using the Eros S cable gave it a fuller and wider soundstage compared to the stock cable.

Fit/Comfort - my opinion is that CIEMs will always be superior to universals. When using my V3s I sometimes would forget that I have them in because of how comfortable they are. That being said the U4s are still a very comfortable, but I am aware at all times that I have something in my ears.

Loudness - I find myself having to raise the volume on my DAP when using the U4s compared to my V3s. But I attribute that to the insertion depth of customs vs. universals.

To sum it up I think the U4s are very fun, engaging, dynamic. I threw music across all genres at the U4s and I am very satisfied with what I heard. Definitely a keeper for me.

I have yet to try out the iFi Go Pod, or the rest of the Apex modules. That will happen over the next few weeks.

Btw, does anyone have suggestions on which 3rd party foam tips I should try out?

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #21,870 of 23,532
Here is my early impression of the U4s after a few hours of listening.

Let me start by saying that my IEM arsenal is very limited and so is my audiophile lingo.

I have not had any experience with any other universal IEMs that are in the realm of the U4s or greater. As such I am not able to provide an objective apples to apples comparison.

For past ten years I’ve been daily driving a pair of CIEMs from 64 Audio, their V3s, a very neutral sound signature. The other IEMs I have are two pairs of wireless buds, Beoplay EX, and Sennheiser Momentum TWS 2.

Here we go…

Source - Sony WM1AM2
Cables used - stock cable & Effect Audio Eros S
Apex Module - M15
Tips - medium foams that came with the U4s. Personally I don’t like the feel of silicone tips in my ears.

Bass - the mid-bass and sub-bass always stands out, very detailed to my ears. Great depth, punch and slam.

Mids - the mids are recessed when compared to my all BA V3s. However the detail retrieval and clarity in the mids on the U4s are definitely superior and very satisfying. Vocals actually sounded clearer with the U4s than my V3s.

Treble - this is my first true experience with the Tia driver and to my ears the treble is smooth and airy. I did demo the Tia Fourte several years ago for all of 20 minutes and at that time I thought the treble on the Fourte was a bit too bright for my ears.

Soundstage - U4s soundstage felt deep to me. And using the Eros S cable gave it a fuller and wider soundstage compared to the stock cable.

Fit/Comfort - my opinion is that CIEMs will always be superior to universals. When using my V3s I sometimes would forget that I have them in because of how comfortable they are. That being said the U4s are still a very comfortable, but I am aware at all times that I have something in my ears.

Loudness - I find myself having to raise the volume on my DAP when using the U4s compared to my V3s. But I attribute that to the insertion depth of customs vs. universals.

To sum it up I think the U4s are very fun, engaging, dynamic. I threw music across all genres at the U4s and I am very satisfied with what I heard. Definitely a keeper for me.

I have yet to try out the iFi Go Pod, or the rest of the Apex modules. That will happen over the next few weeks.

Btw, does anyone have suggestions on which 3rd party foam tips I should try out?
Nice review, thanks!
I like the Symbio F eartips... these guys. Very comfortable.
https://www.amazon.com/SYMBIO-Memor...qid=1682143386&sprefix=symbio+,aps,314&sr=8-4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back