The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #16,951 of 23,496
I thought you liked the SQ on the 3.5 port better than the 2.5 on your SP2K?

Well I realized that I did the test with the stock cable, the premium black stock and it did play a funky trick on me!

Now that I have my compliment C, premium silver and fiio Premium silver 4.4mm it all shows that balanced is better 😱😭

So I did a boo boo, I done the test the wrong way. I highly prefer the balanced sound

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #16,952 of 23,496
Well I realized that I did the test with the stock cable, the premium black stock and it did play a funky trick on me!

Now that I have my compliment C, premium silver and fiio Premium silver 4.4mm it all shows that balanced is better 😱😭

So I did a boo boo, I done the test the wrong way. I highly prefer the balanced sound
Isn’t the SP2K 2.5mm only?

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #16,953 of 23,496
Isn’t the SP2K 2.5mm only?

I use an adapter it makes the treble less bright 😝😁
Right now I use the fiio premium silver + DD hifi adapter. Works really well not as sharp in treble and you got the balance goodness

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #16,954 of 23,496
Apr 26, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #16,956 of 23,496
Apr 26, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #16,957 of 23,496
Hah, that ddihifi logo looks not suitable for public viewing. I could imagine taking something like that out on an airplane giving the creeps to anyone sitting next to you.

LMAO

Seriously I didn't pay attention to that LOL BUT dang your right questions might arise quickly and if you are lucky you got a single lady as a co-passenger then quickly get the adapter at the corner of the mini table 😛😛😛🙃

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #16,958 of 23,496
I don’t know how much “better” the AKA is in terms of SQ but I have to say in terms of aesthetics, there’s no contest lol

I’d pick the AKA any day.

Ummm it do sound like the best dap on the market hihi and I tried quiet a few you all know it.

As a more solidifying proofs to that I'll say JH audio shows it everywhere.
And 64audio shows the 1z paired with the noirs 😁

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #16,959 of 23,496
Hmmm I did a small research and it seems that the Fiio pure silver cable is really something strong.

It uses all pure silver and 224 strands also 26 awg.
Some what this lead me think a pure silver is superior versus a silver plated copper hmmm

https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/228851.html

64a premium silver is 200 strands and occ spc... Also 26 awg 4 wires.

Attachments

• 1410215.jpg
    1410215.jpg
    757.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #16,960 of 23,496
OK—final update on my long Nio B-stock journey. Quick recap: I got the B-stocks, they looked (literally) flawless, but it emerged that the right monitor had a bad socket and would occasionally lose about half its volume. (I wouldn't be surprised if this socket problem is common given the way the stock cable seems to stress out the connection point.) The problem emerged within about a day of use, and so warranty covered it. I packaged them up and with some sadness (since they sounded so so good when they worked!), sent my new purchase back to 64 Audio. (I had to pay for return shipping.)

While I had been under the impression that they were either going to repair it immediately or send out a replacement pair if the repair was going to take more than a day or so, it took about a week and a half for them to do the repairs. Had this been a repair in the sense that my once-functioning product became damaged, I would have been super excited about the quick turn around time. But it did seem a little weird for it to be treated as a standard repair given that the IEMs were dead on arrival, and I had thought their customer service rep said it wouldn't be treated that way when we spoke on the phone to arrange for the RMA. (I may have misunderstood, of course. And they did comp me a case and some extra foamy tips as an apology for the bother and for making me pay for return shipping, which was very generous on their part. They also seemed to pay for faster shipping to get it back to me, which was also very appreciated.)

I've been enjoying the repaired Nios for the past few days, and after switching the stock cable out for something without memory wire, I couldn't be happier with the IEMs themselves.

Would I recommend going B-stock? Before going through the long rigamarole of getting them fixed, with what I felt was not the best customer service policies (requiring me to pay for return shipping even though the IEMs were defective on arrival; treating it as a repair and putting it in the normal repair queue; what I felt was not clear communication about timing) I would have said unreservedly "yes." There was no cosmetic defect at all! Given that I had the experience of receiving a defective unit and that addressing it wasn't the best experience, I'm not so sure. The savings on B-stock were so good, that I'd probably go this route again if I ordered another universal IEM from 64 in the future, but I'd do so much more warily and with an appreciation that things might very well not work out at first.... The warranty is there for a reason, though; so it's less that I'd fear something will go horribly wrong than that one might suffer what is in the end some inconvenience.

On to the sound: I really love these IEMs! I am coming from Andros and use Focal Clears as well, and I love these, especially since I do so much of my listening on the go. A lot of reviews (understandably) focused on the sound with the M15 module. But having listened to a lot of classical music over the last week with the MX module, I think its a great IEM for a more neutral, open sound as well, where one still gets the richness of that DD bass. For that matter, even the M15 sounds great for classical music if one is willing to sacrifice a little spaciousness for some extra, delicious bass. I'm not at all experienced with listening to lots of different high-end IEMs, and as a tuba player, I am probably about as bass-head of a classical music lover as they come, but I do think that the Nio worked out super well for my tastes, especially with the flexibility of the modules. (For folk, rock, and bluegrass, the joy of sticking in the M15 and knowing some thickkkk bass is headed my way is just a joy.)

Now the next question is do I try out the N0 module from FiR.... If anyone has one they want to get rid of, hit me up! :)

Also super super big thank you to @twister6 who helped me out over some DM's in making the final purchase! Very appreciative of the help!

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #16,961 of 23,496
Hmmm I did a small research and it seems that the Fiio pure silver cable is really something strong.

Some what this lead me think a pure silver is superior versus a silver plated copper hmmm

I'm not sure this is necessarily bad, but Fiio doesn't say where they are getting their wire and I'm a little skeptical because this cable is only $100 on Amazon, which is almost too cheap. Cable manufacturing is important because not every silver wire is made the same way or with the same tolerances. Also, I've seen some pictures on the web where a customer opened the jacket of a "pure silver" cable, scraped the silver off, and it was copper underneath. The Dunu Blanche I mentioned to you earlier, uses Neotech pure silver in a litz-1 winding. I believe Neotech makes its wire in Japan.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #16,962 of 23,496

Any reason you're looking for a cheap silver cable when you have the $1500+ Compliment C? Didn't you have their expensive silver cable before?

If you want a top shelf silver cable, don't bother with FiiO, speak to @doctorjuggles. Also, if you want a high-end 4.4mm adapter that is specifically designed for the SP2K, get this:

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...-4-4mm-balanced-female?variant=31710945116222

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #16,963 of 23,496
Any reason you're looking for a cheap silver cable when you have the $1500+ Compliment C? Didn't you have their expensive silver cable before?

If you want a top shelf silver cable, don't bother with FiiO, speak to @doctorjuggles. Also, if you want a high-end 4.4mm adapter that is specifically designed for the SP2K, get this:

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...-4-4mm-balanced-female?variant=31710945116222

I have the fiio on hands it just a random tests I was doing and yea the 1500 did win over the fiio one...

I have to say the fiio dont sound too shabby at all.
Not a flagship but still it works great.

I got this adapter from @MusicTeck its way better then pw audio sorry 😛🙂

@NCUS

Thanks for the recommendation I appreciate it, I am simply not shopping for silver cable 🙂 atm but its good to know I agree dunu is better cable quality then fiio for sure!
Even the 64a Premium silver looks and feels ways better! I was just spec comparing not sound wise...

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #16,964 of 23,496
OK—final update on my long Nio B-stock journey. Quick recap: I got the B-stocks, they looked (literally) flawless, but it emerged that the right monitor had a bad socket and would occasionally lose about half its volume. (I wouldn't be surprised if this socket problem is common given the way the stock cable seems to stress out the connection point.) The problem emerged within about a day of use, and so warranty covered it. I packaged them up and with some sadness (since they sounded so so good when they worked!), sent my new purchase back to 64 Audio. (I had to pay for return shipping.)

While I had been under the impression that they were either going to repair it immediately or send out a replacement pair if the repair was going to take more than a day or so, it took about a week and a half for them to do the repairs. Had this been a repair in the sense that my once-functioning product became damaged, I would have been super excited about the quick turn around time. But it did seem a little weird for it to be treated as a standard repair given that the IEMs were dead on arrival, and I had thought their customer service rep said it wouldn't be treated that way when we spoke on the phone to arrange for the RMA. (I may have misunderstood, of course. And they did comp me a case and some extra foamy tips as an apology for the bother and for making me pay for return shipping, which was very generous on their part. They also seemed to pay for faster shipping to get it back to me, which was also very appreciated.)

I've been enjoying the repaired Nios for the past few days, and after switching the stock cable out for something without memory wire, I couldn't be happier with the IEMs themselves.

Would I recommend going B-stock? Before going through the long rigamarole of getting them fixed, with what I felt was not the best customer service policies (requiring me to pay for return shipping even though the IEMs were defective on arrival; treating it as a repair and putting it in the normal repair queue; what I felt was not clear communication about timing) I would have said unreservedly "yes." There was no cosmetic defect at all! Given that I had the experience of receiving a defective unit and that addressing it wasn't the best experience, I'm not so sure. The savings on B-stock were so good, that I'd probably go this route again if I ordered another universal IEM from 64 in the future, but I'd do so much more warily and with an appreciation that things might very well not work out at first.... The warranty is there for a reason, though; so it's less that I'd fear something will go horribly wrong than that one might suffer what is in the end some inconvenience.

On to the sound: I really love these IEMs! I am coming from Andros and use Focal Clears as well, and I love these, especially since I do so much of my listening on the go. A lot of reviews (understandably) focused on the sound with the M15 module. But having listened to a lot of classical music over the last week with the MX module, I think its a great IEM for a more neutral, open sound as well, where one still gets the richness of that DD bass. For that matter, even the M15 sounds great for classical music if one is willing to sacrifice a little spaciousness for some extra, delicious bass. I'm not at all experienced with listening to lots of different high-end IEMs, and as a tuba player, I am probably about as bass-head of a classical music lover as they come, but I do think that the Nio worked out super well for my tastes, especially with the flexibility of the modules. (For folk, rock, and bluegrass, the joy of sticking in the M15 and knowing some thickkkk bass is headed my way is just a joy.)

Now the next question is do I try out the N0 module from FiR.... If anyone has one they want to get rid of, hit me up! :)

Also super super big thank you to @twister6 who helped me out over some DM's in making the final purchase! Very appreciative of the help!
Glad you finally got to a point where you can enjoy the Nio!

I love mine for the same reasons you described. Coming from the Utopia, the Nio is a punch in the face and a ton of fun.

I bought a FiR module on the secondary market, totally worth it. If you can't find one used, I think new ones are $40. Worth it in my opinion, nice balance.

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #16,965 of 23,496
@tisquinn I just ordered a B-stock Fourte from 64 Audio, so of course this is the first post I see! I hope to be fortunate enough to avoid those kinds of issues. Your experience also makes me feel confident about the purchase, because while not entirely optimal, overall I'd honestly consider yours to be a decently positive experienc due to the positive result. It's good to know they honor the warranty on B-stocks for defects that result in malfunctioning/non-functioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back