The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #16,517 of 23,417
Guess I'm that 2%... And I "downgraded" to the nio. But the trio was excellent, and doubly so at the 30% off sale prices it goes for on occasion.
With Nio and Fourte in my stable, would you recommend trying the Trio? I would be interested if it has Nio bass, but with better detail retrieval and/or soundstage.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #16,518 of 23,417
With Nio and Fourte in my stable, would you recommend trying the Trio? I would be interested if it has Nio bass, but with better detail retrieval and/or soundstage.
The trio and nio are the only two I have heard so I can't compare to the others. But... I think the trio will likely give marginally better detail retrieval, or at least the impression of it due to the treble feeling a little more crisp and sharp vs the smoother treble on the nio.

Bass is an interesting topic to compare. I would say the nio comes off as bassier, or rather warmer. You know how it has that warmth that kind of moves up into the mids. The trio doesn't quite as the mids are a little more recessed and I would say it has a slightly more subbass focus.

But also take all that with a grain of salt, I sold my trio probably 6 months ago so I haven't heard it since.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #16,519 of 23,417
The trio and nio are the only two I have heard so I can't compare to the others. But... I think the trio will likely give marginally better detail retrieval, or at least the impression of it due to the treble feeling a little more crisp and sharp vs the smoother treble on the nio.

Bass is an interesting topic to compare. I would say the nio comes off as bassier, or rather warmer. You know how it has that warmth that kind of moves up into the mids. The trio doesn't quite as the mids are a little more recessed and I would say it has a slightly more subbass focus.

But also take all that with a grain of salt, I sold my trio probably 6 months ago so I haven't heard it since.

It is exactly how you said it. Nio has more quantity and slam then trio.
Nio is very good iem but trio offers a lot more exclusive fun and signature.

Trio is a very unique iem its only flaw is mids being U shaped in my opinion

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #16,520 of 23,417
Close enough to the Fourte to make it redundant imo

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #16,521 of 23,417
I personally feel the Trio would be redundant. You get the detail and stage with the OG along with more articulate bass control and clearer treble versus the Trio.

Having said that, your description of Nio bass (but more textured, refined, controlled, higher quality and a lot less bloated) and with OG-like stage and detail retrieval (but more body in the lower mids and slightly more toned down treble peaks)....you’re pretty much describing the Noir.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #16,522 of 23,417
On the topic of Trio and Fourte, I'm hoping to see a shootout between them and the FiR M3 and M4 to see how they compare.

From my impression with the Trio, I prefer the more laid back M4. The Trio is technical perfection but too lively for me.

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #16,523 of 23,417
All of 64 audios unis are flagships in their own right. Definitely not a downgrade, really a matter of preferences.
Perfectly said.
Trio is more detailed than Nio for sure (and it's not close), but Nio catches up if you switch to the Mx module. Nio is warmer and thicker due to midbass emphasis, Trio kicks harder and goes deeper with its sub-bass focus. Nio's mids are more forward, fuller, warmer and more organic. Trio is cooler, sharper, edgier and sometimes glassy. Nio's treble is far more relaxed, compared to Trio's treble lift and occasional zing.

All that said, if you have Nio and Fourte then Trio is probably redundant.
Having said that, your description of Nio bass (but more textured, refined, controlled, higher quality and a lot less bloated) and with OG-like stage and detail retrieval (but more body in the lower mids and slightly more toned down treble peaks)....you’re pretty much describing the Noir.
Oddly I never felt the Trio sounded anything like Noir. I actually prefer the bass of Trio (more Fourte-like but with more quantity on Trio), but the Noir pulls away when it comes to mids and treble quality, detail and stage. I think the tonality of Trio, Noir and Fourte is quite different from one to another, and your favourite of the three will lean heavily on which tonality you click with. Fourte is unquestionably the most technically advanced of the three - or at least its technicalities are the most apparent.

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #16,524 of 23,417
Thanks everyone for the input. I am now interested in both Trio and Noir... God help me.. :)

Edit: on a more serious note, I'm very happy with Fourte, it ticks almost all the boxes for me. Descriptions above make both Trio and Noir sound very interesting too, and given a chance I'd certainly like to audition them. First order of business is to see how I like customs. If I do, it might take the journey into an entirely different direction...

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #16,526 of 23,417
I am in the camp of folks who prefer the Trio to the Fourte. The Noir is closer in my opinion but enlarges the scale and space. There's also a resolution and articulation bump. That being said the Trio is awesome, especially when it can be had for like $1900 during sales.

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #16,527 of 23,417
On the topic of Trio and Fourte, I'm hoping to see a shootout between them and the FiR M3 and M4 to see how they compare.

From my impression with the Trio, I prefer the more laid back M4. The Trio is technical perfection but too lively for me.
I've had the FiR M3 tour samples twice. The first time I was blown away with how much fun they were. The second time, though, the bass was overwhelming and fatiguing to me. I don't want to own a pair anymore.

The M4, now, still haunts me. When I had the tour pair I couldn't decide whether I liked the Trio or M4 better. The M4 bass impressed me more (I'd have to read my review of the M4 here to remind myself of the details), but the Trio highs to me are magical. The M4 treble leans to the analytical side as compared to Trio, at least to me. Those comparisons are all with my A&K AK70 Mk II which I've discovered is warm and lush when compared to my Questyle QP2r (a touch drier and more analytical, but meaningfully so; makes a big difference when listening to my Rai Pentas). If I decide to replace my Trio to chase a custom for fit reasons the M4 will be the first IEM I turn to. I wouldn't own both at once, though. They are definitely in the "different flavors of the same" camp.

If the Trio hadn't been on sale when I had the money...

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #16,528 of 23,417
Just got my 64 Nio in the mail and am in love <3. Wanted to post because I got them B Stock and have found no discernible blemish whatsoever. When I was shopping for them, I was looking for experiences from folks who had gotten B stock units to see what it was like for them. YMMV and all that, but for whatever its worth, I would be super confident getting B Stock from 64 again in the future.

edit: happy to post pictures if it would be useful to anyone
edit 2: see update post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ad-apex-tia-technologies.826606/post-16286077. had to return them for an audio defect; process was less than ideal
edit 3: final update: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ad-apex-tia-technologies.826606/post-16320246. bit of a wait, and process not the best, but sound is (now) amazing, and they still look flawless.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #16,529 of 23,417
Just got my 64 Nio in the mail and am in love <3. Wanted to post because I got them B Stock and have found no discernible blemish whatsoever. When I was shopping for them, I was looking for experiences from folks who had gotten B stock units to see what it was like for them. YMMV and all that, but for whatever its worth, I would be super confident getting B Stock from 64 again in the future.

edit: happy to post pictures if it would be useful to anyone

B-stock from 64a directly is like buying a brand new unit. They check it carefully and fix anything if needed.

I buy B-stock if I can 😎

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #16,530 of 23,417
If EDM is your main genre, you can't go past the Legend X. That's the EDM king in the IEM world. OG is great, don't get me wrong, but EDM is more often than not compressed and fairly bright/peaky, which is where the LX is more gentle than the OG, and the bass...
Maybe it depends on the type of edm, but for me the LX isn't the greatest for edm. Maybe I just need to give it another try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back