The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 20, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #16,471 of 23,417
I remember last month I was winking at Dianna, now Jolena decided to show her pretty face šŸ˜…
Aa aaa Jolena Jolene you are driving me crazy why are you so sweet šŸ„°

And here I am... lost my 64 virginity to the dumped girl. He told me she is the greatest... hmmm :deadhorse:

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #16,472 of 23,417
And here I am... lost my 64 virginity to the dumped girl. He told me she is the greatest... hmmm :deadhorse:

Haha I have weak spot if 64a names their iems with female names Il be forced buying.

By the way my og is not going anywhere, I haven't tried Jolene yet so we dont know how she is. Maybe she'll be too capricious šŸ˜

šŸ˜…šŸ¤£šŸ…šŸ¾

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #16,473 of 23,417
Interesting theory. Just tried Why so serious with the Fourte, and I do hear and feel the sub bass though. So I'm not sure your premise applies, for me at least. I also feel and hear the sub bass with the Nio. Yes, a lot more than the Fourte, so if that's your reference I understand what you mean. With the Nio though, it's really thumping and visceral. When I had the LX I found the Nio to be more bassy, including the sub bass area.
It takes a lot less power to get the Nio's single DD driver energised compared to LX. Also LX is far more controlled, precise and selective in its bass output (and by selective I mean if the bass isn't in th track, the LX won't put it there, whereas Nio paints everything with bass - but not always in a bad way). So yes, Nio generally sounds more bass - thicc bass, especially midbass, whereas LX can dig deeper, faster and if need be louder, but is more of a precision bass instrument than a generalist.
I can add this, for me FourtƩ og has the best bass quality and technicalities in all 64a line up then its Trio, Noirs bass is very strong and overwhelming to a point its just too much in my opinion, I dont really understand the reasoning in such huge blast of bass?
Also noirs bass is very mud bass and quantity oriented vs fourtƩ og is more quality and technicality.
Also I feel og and trio slightly more aub bassy and much more normal in mid bass.

What 64a should do is release a mark 2 fourtƩ and trio. With og having a little less treble elevation and sont change the other frequencies and for trio make it more w sounding and dont touche the rest!

Noir and nio and u18s might over exaggerated signatures which have my ears fatigued from bass ! And I usually love bass and can handle it with ease but not with Noirs šŸ™„šŸ˜
I also prefer OG to Noir in terms of bass, mostly because the Noir's bass is 'overdone', giving any tracks with a thick bassline a slight 'drone'. This can be mitigated with tips, EQ, silver cables etc., but to me OG's bass is perfectly balanced out the box (I just wish it had more of it, which is where LX comes in).
Iā€™ll just leave this here
See my answer to @MatW above.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #16,474 of 23,417
I also prefer OG to Noir in terms of bass, mostly because the Noir's bass is 'overdone', giving any tracks with a thick bassline a slight 'drone'. This can be mitigated with tips, EQ, silver cables etc., but to me OG's bass is perfectly balanced out the box (I just wish it had more of it, which is where LX comes in).

I been there I had a long fight with this dilema. There is some parts of it I can accept others no. Everything I tried I had the best success with double helix cables Symbiote elite 19 to fix the noirs. Then I realized something, silver adds quickness and more visceral feel but takes away extensions. Like when a note makes its decay and faints away. That effect is twice longer with a pure copper. I couldn't accept the trade off and went back to og and copper cable and dap.

This way I feel the music to be more natural and pleasant, warm and musical.
I am like you I want more fourte bass! Its crazy how good is og with edm when you dont have bright peaky mixs

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #16,475 of 23,417
Haha I have weak spot if 64a names their iems with female names Il be forced buying.

By the way my og is not going anywhere, I haven't tried Jolene yet so we dont know how she is. Maybe she'll be too capricious šŸ˜

šŸ˜…šŸ¤£šŸ…šŸ¾
Haha, the marketing and temptation! :grinning:

Exactly what I've been trying tame. To my surprise, instead of silver, I've found that the basic PW No.5 seems to fill the mid-mid to upper-mids while reducing the sub-bass, thus reducing the "overdone" part and equalizing the overall balance. Together with Spiral Dots, I'm really enjoying the result. :grin:

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #16,476 of 23,417
I been there I had a long fight with this dilema. There is some parts of it I can accept others no. Everything I tried I had the best success with double helix cables Symbiote elite 19 to fix the noirs. Then I realized something, silver adds quickness and more visceral feel but takes away extensions. Like when a note makes its decay and faints away. That effect is twice longer with a pure copper. I couldn't accept the trade off and went back to og and copper cable and dap.

This way I feel the music to be more natural and pleasant, warm and musical.
I am like you I want more fourte bass! Its crazy how good is og with edm when you dont have bright peaky mixs
If EDM is your main genre, you can't go past the Legend X. That's the EDM king in the IEM world. OG is great, don't get me wrong, but EDM is more often than not compressed and fairly bright/peaky, which is where the LX is more gentle than the OG, and the bass...

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #16,477 of 23,417
Haha, the marketing and temptation! :grinning:

Exactly what I've been trying tame. To my surprise, instead of silver, I've found that the basic PW No.5 seems to fill the mid-mid to upper-mids while reducing the sub-bass, thus reducing the "overdone" part and equalizing the overall balance. Together with Spiral Dots, I'm really enjoying the result. :grin:
Nice, except the sub bass of the Noir isn't my issue, it's the elevated midbass on tracks with a heavy bassline. But yes, the No. 5 or No. 10 should both be a good pairing.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #16,478 of 23,417
If EDM is your main genre, you can't go past the Legend X. That's the EDM king in the IEM world. OG is great, don't get me wrong, but EDM is more often than not compressed and fairly bright/peaky, which is where the LX is more gentle than the OG, and the bass...
EDM and Hiphop. Nothing I tried beats the LX.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #16,479 of 23,417
It takes a lot less power to get the Nio's single DD driver energised compared to LX. Also LX is far more controlled, precise and selective in its bass output (and by selective I mean if the bass isn't in th track, the LX won't put it there, whereas Nio paints everything with bass - but not always in a bad way). So yes, Nio generally sounds more bass - thicc bass, especially midbass, whereas LX can dig deeper, faster and if need be louder, but is more of a precision bass instrument than a generalist.

See my answer to @MatW above.
I'm starting to see Nio's shortcomings, but the LX was not the answer for me. I found the midrange too withdrawn. I wonder which TOTL iem has more/better DD bass than Fourte, with similar technicalities. Noir has too much apparently. Not Odin I think, from what I'm reading. Thummim maybe?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #16,480 of 23,417
Nice, except the sub bass of the Noir isn't my issue, it's the elevated midbass on tracks with a heavy bassline. But yes, the No. 5 or No. 10 should both be a good pairing.
Actually, I wasnā€™t after reducing the sub-bass. I listen to mostly acoustic instruments and sub-bass by itself hasnā€™t bothered me, yet. Iā€™m actually after reducing the 120-600Hz range. To my ears, so far, No.5 seem to ā€œundoā€ the tuning tricks done on the Noir. Itā€™s starting to approach Z1R except being front row/on-stage intimate and thicker note weight.

Anyway, my brain burn-in is still in progress, lol :) Iā€™ll sit back and enjoy the 18s show here and Vitaly2017ā€™s drama :wink:

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #16,481 of 23,417
I'm starting to see Nio's shortcomings, but the LX was not the answer for me. I found the midrange too withdrawn. I wonder which TOTL iem has more/better DD bass than Fourte, with similar technicalities. Noir has too much apparently. Not Odin I think, from what I'm reading. Thummim maybe?
Tia Trio is worth a try.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #16,482 of 23,417

She still is. Don't fall victim to @Vitaly2017 and his machinations about his ex-girlfriends (and they are aplenty). He'll be back to 96.8% end game with another pair of Noirs and the right cable pairing soon, right Tiger? It might just take a few dates that end wrong with Rhapsodio and JH, but some marriage counseling will bring him back. Noir is without question an incredibly special IEM, my favorite by 64 Audio hands-down, but it takes some time to appreciate her nuances. A real....gazelle? :wink:

-Collin-

Attachments

• IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #16,483 of 23,417
It got me thinking - is that really deep, visceral sub bass rumble that you feel rather than hear even possible with Apex? I wonder if the 64ā€™s in general arenā€™t able to achieve that (donā€™t think any in the range get to subterranean bass) because that relies on a full sealed cavity and drivers that ā€œenergizeā€ the ear canal?
Have discussed this very issue before with some people.

I think thereā€™s something to what youā€™re saying. Essentially, that the apex ā€œopenā€ cavity simply creates bass in a different way than an iem thatā€™s more ā€œsolidā€ or ā€œclosed.ā€

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #16,484 of 23,417
Iā€™ll actually be doing a short review of them sometime soon.
Itā€™s actually @KuroKitsu ā€™s custom that I managed to force fit quite easily to my ears šŸ˜‚

I am highly impressed with how it sounds, for the price and the driver count. While yes, itā€™s not super technical as the other IEMs I have. But I say in terms of tonality (especially in the similar price point) it beats out my SE846 (Which actually retails above the A3 but it does include the Bluetooth cable) Itā€™s just a more engaging listen (to me at least)
But that was just a quick comparison.
Do you have any IEMs in my signature you want me to compare to them?
The only IEM in your signature I've heard in the Z1R. Based on your short, and appreciated, description of the A3 I would think those two sound quite different. I'd enjoy your impressions, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back