The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #15,976 of 23,523
CIEMs are designed and tuned for a deeper insertion and I do hear a difference between Custom and Uni, like I have experienced in the past with U12 vs A12 (original, before Tia) and A18s vs A18s Uni demo which I have been using and featuring lately in many of my Reviews. A18s uni demo is tuned to sound like custom A18s with a proper deep insertion, and I just hope one day 64 Audio will release it as universal model

So, I can only speak from my personal experience, but I do lose treble extension and top end is slightly attenuated with customs because they are designed/tuned for deeper insertion while my ears are not designed for that But that is relative to my own "custom" earcanal anatomy, and as many are aware, earcanal is another sound-shaping filter before the sound reaches your eardrum.

Also, as Daniel mentioned, for me personally CIEM is a no-go due to a sharp first bend in my left earcanal. As a result, nozzle needs to be trimmed short to the point where it looks like universal, and of course right shell has to match
in earcanal shape , if you are not happy with CIEM purchase after auditioning Uni demo, you are stuck with it or will take a financial hit trying to sell it later since buyer will have to invest into reshelling. Just something to keep in mind as well. But on the other hand, in the past I knew of some people who contacted 64 Audio support for that exact reason and worked out a deal to switch back to Uni.
it.

64audio_n8-24.jpg
Have you @twister6 ever tried the audiophile fit option from Campfire Audio? Wish it was a more common option on ciem.

Another reason I stuck with Custom Art, was with the transfer ownership option it’s relatively straightforward to get ciems changed to universal and vice versa.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #15,977 of 23,523
Have you @twister6 ever tried the audiophile fit option from Campfire Audio? Wish it was a more common option on ciem.

Another reason I stuck with Custom Art, was with the transfer ownership option it’s relatively straightforward to get ciems changed to universal and vice versa.

I think the difficulty of that short-canal, audiophile fit is that it has to be taken account of in the tuning. Because, you're effectively cutting off the length of the sound tubes there with tons more space in the canal. And, it's especially difficult with, say, 64's in-ears, because their nozzles end with an acoustic chamber that's heavily affected by those sorts of spaces or gaps. You more-or-less have to tune with it in mind, which is why companies that offer it usually stick with it across all their models.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #15,978 of 23,523
64 Audio should include a copy of the test results with each custom monitor to substantiate the monitors are within the spec of their target curves. 64 Audio claimed they test each custom pair in a promo video so the data is available. And its not an unreasonable suggestion to provide the results, in fact, Sennheiser has done this for many years and issued the graphs for every pair on a printed card or USB flash stick (e.g. the HD 800 series).

I have doubts about my A18S and they seem too dark/congested. While still generally excellent, I can’t imagine it’s the tuning 64 Audio intended.
Hi, sorry to hear that the A18s is giving you trouble. Can you reach out to support@64audio.com to get that tested and repaired, it is most likely under warranty since the product is so new.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #15,979 of 23,523
64 Audio should include a copy of the test results with each custom monitor to substantiate the monitors are within the spec of their target curves. 64 Audio claimed they test each custom pair in a promo video so the data is available. And its not an unreasonable suggestion to provide the results, in fact, Sennheiser has done this for many years and issued the graphs for every pair on a printed card or USB flash stick (e.g. the HD 800 series).

I have doubts about my A18S and they seem too dark/congested. While still generally excellent, I can’t imagine it’s the tuning 64 Audio intended.

I see new trend of 64a is more bass and warmth and less treble elevation. But not so congested maybe all the 3 effects make you seem it that way...

I see that trend in all their 3 new latest releases! Nio, a18s and Noir. They all have that similar approach.

I personally think its too emphasised and need to be closer to the previous sound tuning but not as bright in treble. Cause the new tuning do affect the transparancy and clarity in some way. Its too thick dark and bassy...

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #15,980 of 23,523
I see new trend of 64a is more bass and warmth and less treble elevation. But not so congested maybe all the 3 effects make you seem it that way...

I see that trend in all their 3 new latest releases! Nio, a18s and Noir. They all have that similar approach.

I personally think its too emphasised and need to be closer to the previous sound tuning but not as bright in treble. Cause the new tuning do affect the transparancy and clarity in some way. Its too thick dark and bassy...

Well, it's worth noting that the Nio (by most accounts of those who've heard both) is essentially the universal N8 demo, so it's not this new direction they're suddenly taking. The Noir and A18S are also slightly warmer takes on in-ears that some have called a tad too bright, so I see it more as an alternative they're offering. It also depends on preference. The A18S is still the in-ear I've heard that's closest to my definition of reference; slightly warmer than what most would call neutral. So, it's different strokes as always, and your criticism is valid, of course. Let's see where on that spectrum these new upcoming models reside.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #15,981 of 23,523
Well, it's worth noting that the Nio (by most accounts of those who've heard both) is essentially the universal N8 demo, so it's not this new direction they're suddenly taking. The Noir and A18S are also slightly warmer takes on in-ears that some have called a tad too bright, so I see it more as an alternative they're offering. It also depends on preference. The A18S is still the in-ear I've heard that's closest to my definition of reference; slightly warmer than what most would call neutral. So, it's different strokes as always, and your criticism is valid, of course. Let's see where on that spectrum these new upcoming models reside.
The nio sounds a dead cert for my taste if my ears played nicely with universal, which they don’t.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #15,982 of 23,523
I got some head phone time Thursday after work. The perfect balm after battling with a poor manager at work all day. The last few songs, before the battery in my DAP expired, were real treats, enough so I took that DAP to work on Friday with my Trio and listened to them all over again, just to hear the differences.

"In This Place", Robin Trower, Bridge of Sighs: I just love Trower's tone throughout this album. I also enjoy his musicality, which he can achieve without the "athleticism" over-used by some guitarists. The right notes and the right time.

"It Had to Be You", Ray Charles, The Ultimate Collection: this was kind of jarring after "In This Place": bright and brash and loud. I like young Ray Charles' voice, though, and his rhythm and meter when he sings.

"It's All Over Now", Molly Hatchet, Flirtin' With Disaster: Lynard Skynard style southern rock with grittier guitar and twangier vocals. Fun stuff. In moderation.

"It's For You", Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays, As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls: not only my favorite Pat Metheny piece, definitely one of my favorite songs ever recorded. I've had this disc for more than thirty years and I still get shivers in my spine whenever I hear this song. Simply wonderful phrasing by Pat. My favorite Pat Metheny/ Pat Metheny Group period is 1979- 1985 or so. I love his work with his synclavier-guitar (not that he used one on this album). Great accompaniment from Lyle Mays (RIP) and Nana Vasconcelos. Lots of micro detail in the ECM recording. If my battery hadn't given out, I'd have listened to this song again at higher volume to take it all in. This is one of my audition songs when I'm judging new gear. Everyone has songs their gear simply must "get right", this is one of mine. It's also the soundtrack to a great scene in one of my favorite movies: Fandango.

"It's Your Dog, Charlie Brown", Vince Guaraldi, Oh, Good Grief!: Guarldi's bright, thin piano was another jarring contrast to the rich, lush Metheny recording. But, as I posted last week, this is a long-time favorite album. Takes me back to the Peanuts specials when I was growing up, and listening to music with my mom.

"Jessica", Allman Brothers, Brothers and Sisters: Could you imagine being Duane Allman's daughter and knowing this joyful song was composed because you were born? Wow. This recording, even the Mobile Fidelity remastering, isn't that great, but what a wonderful riff. Makes me happy just listening to it in the same way Holst's Jupiter does. I just wish the percussion didn't sound so sloppy (the recording, not the playing).

Since I had to concentrate on work I had to keep volume pretty low, so dynamics and bass level suffered some. My home gear (DAP -> Schiit Bifrost I multi-bit -> Schiit Mjolnir I -> HiFiMAN HE-500), at higher volume remember, were more dynamic and brasher. There was more bite to the sound in every track. The A&K 70 Mk II -> Trio combination by comparison was smoother and warmer. Also enjoyable, but in a different way. At this time, though, I favor crisper, sharper more detailed sound, so for the time being the A&K may find itself on the shelf in favor of the QP2r.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #15,983 of 23,523
@macdonjh , excellent musical selections, I've started including the Allman Brothers, Live at the Fillmore East, “You Don't Love Me, ” it is a great band performing at their pinnacle!

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #15,984 of 23,523
Hey!

It's not just about the gear!

I'm always looking for new music - the album I bought last week was tycho - weather remixes ... great stuff.

but @macdonjh - thanks for sharing - I never heard of Pat Metheny before - the last jazz shiver i had was courtesy of Blood Sweat and Tears (your word shiver caught my attention).

I'm really enjoying - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls - it's going to be this weeks purchase....

Nice one!

Never seen Fandango either!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #15,985 of 23,523
@64Audio not sure if I missed the answer to this: if I buy a used demo version of a 64 Audio IEM will 64 Audio repair it if needed?

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #15,988 of 23,523
@64Audio
I've been seeing condensation build up on my U12t after my listening sessions.
I wipe down the droplets and store them in a Pelican case w/desiccant bags.
Is the condensation something to be wary of? Worried that it'll damage the drivers overtime.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #15,989 of 23,523
@64Audio
Is the condensation something to be wary of? Worried that it'll damage the drivers overtime.

You’re able to wipe the condensation down? Is it on the outside of the IEM? If so, isn’t it perhaps just sweat, skin oil or earwax?

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #15,990 of 23,523
@64Audio

You can pick up a hearing aid dryer for around $50 if you're concerned about moisture buildup inside the shell. Be sure to check the inner dimensions of the drying area to make sure it will fit a set of IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back