The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #15,511 of 23,530
The fourte og or noirs? As in my book the noir are more exiting and dynamic then og.
The Erlk is at another level vs the OG Fourte. I suspect the same with the Noirs, but I do not have one for a direct comparison. This does not mean I think ill of the OG Fourte. The Erlk is just that much better. The Fourte cannot match the “ tightness” of the bass, quality of midrange and treble, or overall timbre.

I find the Fourte very useful to tell the difference between cables. Any differences seem to show up clearly on it. I have not cable swapped on the Erlk, so I cannot answer for that one. The connection on the Fourte also seems to stay tight even though I have changed its cable the most. With the Azlasedna light short tips, the bass is very powerful.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #15,512 of 23,530
I been using my noirs for a very long time. I get it there is always a new totl something that comes out and we always claim its better then the previous one lol
But even so there is few things no other iem will ever do that noir will.

1 individual acoustical air chambers

2 apex technology, I aint interested if there is no anti air pressure system as it hurts my ears if its not there!

Yes noir aren't perfect but if you do proper cable matching the synergie blows beyond roof, you can get amazing results and have an iem that can sound perfect to your preference. The noirs are pretty much 95% my perfect signature.
And add all the extra benefits its pretty much not touchable anymore.

Noirs have impressive tonality retirieval and textures details are very amazing. The resolution is top notch.

Without saying also that 64a tunes there sound house im a way that no other brand does. Its like wm1z it has a very unique timbre flavor and tonality. Same goes to 64a iems. Each is unique and presents a very pleasant fun experience. All that woth an open like sound as you would get from a semi open headphone )

Yes there is few other cool brands that exists. But still from all.my journey I stoped with tia noir. That just says I didnt find anything better.

I am not going to spent 6k on tralili or erlky lol I think thats just gets overly expensive and not necessarily needed to enjoy music.
Not saying noir plus Symbiote is cheap either......

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #15,513 of 23,530
I been using my noirs for a very long time. I get it there is always a new totl something that comes out and we always claim its better then the previous one lol
But even so there is few things no other iem will ever do that noir will.

1 individual acoustical air chambers

2 apex technology, I aint interested if there is no anti air pressure system as it hurts my ears if its not there!

Yes noir aren't perfect but if you do proper cable matching the synergie blows beyond roof, you can get amazing results and have an iem that can sound perfect to your preference. The noirs are pretty much 95% my perfect signature.
And add all the extra benefits its pretty much not touchable anymore.

Noirs have impressive tonality retirieval and textures details are very amazing. The resolution is top notch.

Without saying also that 64a tunes there sound house im a way that no other brand does. Its like wm1z it has a very unique timbre flavor and tonality. Same goes to 64a iems. Each is unique and presents a very pleasant fun experience. All that woth an open like sound as you would get from a semi open headphone )

Yes there is few other cool brands that exists. But still from all.my journey I stoped with tia noir. That just says I didnt find anything better.

I am not going to spent 6k on tralili or erlky lol I think thats just gets overly expensive and not necessarily needed to enjoy music.
Not saying noir plus Symbiote is cheap either......
Everybody has what they like best, and all the IEM’s we are discussing are “end game” for most. If you ever can though, get an extended audition of the Erlk, Traillii (I am working on this myself ) or even the Elysium (this will have less bass though, on some tracks). You may like them as well. Enjoy!

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #15,514 of 23,530
This discussion is an interesting one, and raises and important factor worth elaborating on. Specifically, I am referring to the definition of "exciting".

I think it comes down largely to preference; it is not a binary better / worse. To some listeners, it will be the clinical precision and articulation of microdetail that is exciting to them (e.g., OG), as it is the technical and sonic wizardry evident in the IEM. To others it is a very detailed but warmer, more organic sound that excites them (e.g. Noir), as it is the musically engaging presentation and cohesiveness evident in the IEM.

It's not a wrong or wright; it is a case of which appeals more to the individual.

I've noticed (and I feel it's become the general consensus) that new listeners tend to gravitate towards that initial wow factor, while more experienced listeners wait it out and play the long game. The more I've heard - and the more I've mixed and mastered music too - I've definitely gravitated towards more natural, more cohesive musicality. To me, it not only presents the big picture in the smoothest, most realistic way possible, but it also tends to be indicative of how much work the manufacturer's put into making sure everything clicks. It's why the A18s gets more playtime than any other in-ear I have at the moment. But, when I do need that added transience for drumming, for example, the A18t still is extremely beastly. :wink:

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #15,515 of 23,530
Myself and many others consider the Erlkonig the best. As it is only available used, my recommendation would be to blind buy it ( in excellent condition only ). If you do not care for it, you will easily be able to resell it for what you paid. We will see if the Traillii is as good, but that is even more expensive.
Thanks for your perspective. What music do you listen to? Would the Erlkönig match well with rock/metal music? I see they have 13 drivers, but not sure what kind. No DD I believe?

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #15,516 of 23,530
I've noticed (and I feel it's become the general consensus) that new listeners tend to gravitate towards that initial wow factor, while more experienced listeners wait it out and play The more I've heard - and the more I've mixed and mastered music too - I've definitely gravitated towards more natural, more cohesive musicality.

Could not agree more! I too find that an IEM that wows me at first, often ends up fatiguing me in the long run, and in particular in long listening sessions (1-2hr plus). It is for this reason that the U12t has a permanent spot in my collection.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #15,517 of 23,530
I've noticed (and I feel it's become the general consensus) that new listeners tend to gravitate towards that initial wow factor, while more experienced listeners wait it out and play the long game. The more I've heard - and the more I've mixed and mastered music too - I've definitely gravitated towards more natural, more cohesive musicality. To me, it not only presents the big picture in the smoothest, most realistic way possible, but it also tends to be indicative of how much work the manufacturer's put into making sure everything clicks. It's why the A18s gets more playtime than any other in-ear I have at the moment. But, when I do need that added transience for drumming, for example, the A18t still is extremely beastly. :wink:
The corrolary to this, of course, is that the more experience you get, the quicker you can tell if something clicks with you and your preferences based on music you've heard countless times before. I agree the wow factor is addictive for newcomers, but even as you get more experienced you still want to have that emotional connection with the music you use for pleasure, relaxation, meditation or, in some cases, excercise and motivation.

I think there's a distinction between listening for pleasure and listening for business (mixing/work). For the latter you definitely want something more consistent, transparent, and non-fatiguing, but for the former it depends on what you enjoy. If like me you listen to music to relax or get lost in the vocals or melodies, then you'll have a different set of wants from an IEM compared to someone who listens to get amped, to get dancing, to get active.

We can go around in circles, but at the end of the day, for me, I'm getting to the point where I can fairly quickly pick out how an IEM sounds based on a short listen with music I know well. The 'wow' isn't necessarily because it's over the top zany or loud or powerful, but because it does everything I want it to do better than anything else I've heard.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #15,518 of 23,530
The corrolary to this, of course, is that the more experience you get, the quicker you can tell if something clicks with you and your preferences based on music you've heard countless times before. I agree the wow factor is addictive for newcomers, but even as you get more experienced you still want to have that emotional connection with the music you use for pleasure, relaxation, meditation or, in some cases, excercise and motivation.

I think there's a distinction between listening for pleasure and listening for business (mixing/work). For the latter you definitely want something more consistent, transparent, and non-fatiguing, but for the former it depends on what you enjoy. If like me you listen to music to relax or get lost in the vocals or melodies, then you'll have a different set of wants from an IEM compared to someone who listens to get amped, to get dancing, to get active.

We can go around in circles, but at the end of the day, for me, I'm getting to the point where I can fairly quickly pick out how an IEM sounds based on a short listen with music I know well. The 'wow' isn't necessarily because it's over the top zany or loud or powerful, but because it does everything I want it to do better than anything else I've heard.

I definitely agree with that. I've often spoken to other musicians and engineers, and I've told them that I'm lucky to have similar tastes between work and play, so I don't have to rotate my in-ears all the time. :D Though, I have found that because of my work, I'm one of few that actually equate transparency and almost-calculatedness to musicality and engagement. It may sound contradictory or idiosyncratic, but I find that if a piece of music laid bare can still come off musical and emotive, whether by the arrangement, the sheer strength of the performance, etc., then that's the gold standard for me. Whereas, if I listen to a track and the IEM is what's making it sound engaging, then there's a small part of me that recoils and goes, "Oh, I only like it 'cus it's a bit elevated or exaggerated, don't I?" That's not to say those in-ears aren't enjoyable or genuine by any means. I'd still praise them enormously if executed well. That just happens to be where my head's at at the moment, and it's probably working on music that's drilled that impulse into my head.

More often than not, though - and this something that I think's been left largely unsaid - tastes simply change. What I've written above is neither exclusive nor permanent. But, it is where I'm at most of the time, and it's a different perspective that'll hopefully turn some cogs, regardless. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #15,519 of 23,530

.. and it's a different perspective that'll hopefully turn some cogs, regardless. :wink:

Great to get these nuanced views.

Nio is ticking the "wow" and "non fatiguing" boxes for me right now and the Z1R is a little disappointing imo after reading all the positive reviews.

So I don't have to rush off and get the latest and greatest right now.

Phew!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #15,520 of 23,530
I auditioned and compared VE TOTL iems some time ago (VE8, Elysium & Erlkonig). They are all great in their own ways with their individual tuning, features and prices but can’t say they are the best iems and better than all 64 Audio or other top IEM makers. For example, even with a Trio for me, I prefer over the BA bass of all the VEs. I respect they are all great but in my opinion there is no best, it all depends on individual taste, preferences and many other subjective factors. But one thing I’m sure, 64 Audio makes great and comparable IEMs to the best in the market.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #15,521 of 23,530
I agree with you as I love the general tonality and presentation of the A18s and I'm eagerly awaiting for my A18t as I've recently sold my U18t. These two might lack the initial wow factor of hybrids with DD bass but it accurately presents the music in a natural and balanced way. For fun listening specially with EDM music, I shift then to the Trio.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #15,522 of 23,530
My “end game” combo

E8C9C912-9532-49D5-AF2D-A06875337F9A.jpeg

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #15,523 of 23,530
Hi.
I am looking for my next IEM, and my wish is that it be "the definitive one" (I know that this is easy to wish and difficult to achieve). I had thought of a 64 audio model, but I am not sure which of the Nio, U12t or Trio would be the right one, or perhaps neither of them.

I only listen to rock, progressive, and metal, so these would be the musical styles that it would dedicate itself to.

I have tried many IEMs in the past year, and here are my opinions about them, so that they can serve as a guide to choose the most suitable one:
- ThieAudio Clairvoyance: is my current favorite. Problems I find: it has a peak in the high mids at 2.5 kHz that I find annoying on many records, and the shape is somewhat uncomfortable.
- FiiO FH7: I also like it a lot. Problems that I find: I would like a little more punch in the bass, and better mids.
- IMR Opus Mia: another of my favorites. I use this with the pink filter, which is one of the ones with the least bass. Problems that I find: perhaps too warm for the musical styles I usually listen to.
- Xelento: I don't have it anymore, but I really liked its tonality and its comfort. Problems I find: technicalities, and bass perhaps too booming in certain songs.
- IMR R3 Halcyon: unbearable. Very bloated bass, and of poor quality. It was very slow. I did not like anything.
- Blon BL03: very good tonality, but slow and puffy bass. I don't consider it very good for the styles of music that I like.
- Blon BL01: much better bass than BL03 and with good punch. Problems I find: bad technicalities.

I like the bass punch of a DD, so I was thinking between the Tia Trio and the Nio. For me the technicalities of the Clairvoyance are fine ... Do you think I will like the Nio? Or better the Trio?

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #15,524 of 23,530
Hi.
I am looking for my next IEM, and my wish is that it be "the definitive one" (I know that this is easy to wish and difficult to achieve). I had thought of a 64 audio model, but I am not sure which of the Nio, U12t or Trio would be the right one, or perhaps neither of them.

I only listen to rock, progressive, and metal, so these would be the musical styles that it would dedicate itself to.

I have tried many IEMs in the past year, and here are my opinions about them, so that they can serve as a guide to choose the most suitable one:
- ThieAudio Clairvoyance: is my current favorite. Problems I find: it has a peak in the high mids at 2.5 kHz that I find annoying on many records, and the shape is somewhat uncomfortable.
- FiiO FH7: I also like it a lot. Problems that I find: I would like a little more punch in the bass, and better mids.
- IMR Opus Mia: another of my favorites. I use this with the pink filter, which is one of the ones with the least bass. Problems that I find: perhaps too warm for the musical styles I usually listen to.
- Xelento: I don't have it anymore, but I really liked its tonality and its comfort. Problems I find: technicalities, and bass perhaps too booming in certain songs.
- IMR R3 Halcyon: unbearable. Very bloated bass, and of poor quality. It was very slow. I did not like anything.
- Blon BL03: very good tonality, but slow and puffy bass. I don't consider it very good for the styles of music that I like.
- Blon BL01: much better bass than BL03 and with good punch. Problems I find: bad technicalities.

I like the bass punch of a DD, so I was thinking between the Tia Trio and the Nio. For me the technicalities of the Clairvoyance are fine ... Do you think I will like the Nio? Or better the Trio?
I would wait personally.. All of the signs point to the possibility of a new or several new IEM's from 64 on the way.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #15,525 of 23,530
Hi.

I think you should consider Mest too. I owned both OM and Clairvoyance. The upper mids on the Mest is somewhat between the two to my ears. Technically is much better than both too . I find the Mest closer to the Clairvoyance but much more impressive .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back