The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #15,451 of 23,496
Been through my cables and tips looking for a change for Fourte. Back to stock cable and Symbio peel tips. Depending on tax season this year I may get a PW 1960 2 wire as it seems everyone swears by it for any iem.

I have Cardas clear light, which supposed to be the same cable used in PW1960, it's kinda hard to get synergy from my IEM, for example I don't like pairing with Phantom as it kind of pushed the upper mid / lower treble to the point of uncomfortable, same with Nio pairing, the cable make them lifeless and stage a bit compressed, But pair them with neutral IEM such as my Avara worked out

Where did you buy those gorgeous cables?😍
i bought them here at cable clsssified

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #15,452 of 23,496
Has anyone else had problems with the 64 Audio two prong connectors? My buds keep falling off and I'm wondering if I should try a bit of glue to keep them tight. I know, that's sacrilege, especially if I ever want to sell them. I love the sound..but the build with the two prongs is really annoying. I have EIR Z1Rs that I like and use more because they are built like a tank..and don't fall off...Should I try the glue trick or sell them?
Hi, if you could reach out to support@64audio.com we can point you in the right direction, whether they are in warranty or if you have to submit a service order through the site. We can definitely replace those sockets for you. Although plenty of people do try to use adhesive to hold the pins in place, we recommend against it.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #15,454 of 23,496
Any decent cable recommendations for the nio at under $100? Mainly just looking for comfort/minimizing the issues the cable that comes with it has.

Out of interest, what are the "issues the cable that comes with it has"?

As for cable recommendations at that price it is a tough one. Nio really benefits from a silver cable, or at least a decent SPC, and those are hard to come by at that price. I might perhaps recommend a Forza Audio Hybrid IEM cable. It is an SPC cable which has a lean / clean sound, is thin, flexible, and thus very ergonomic.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #15,455 of 23,496
I think that's a bit harsh....

I think the trick is to find a reviewer who has the same tastes as you. I've bought based on reviews of @crinacle and we disagree regarding the Nio/N8 and the Z1R.

@mvvRAZ is into the techicalities and gear more than the music.

Live and let live I say - there is something hear (see what I did!) for everyone ..... such a great resource.

There are also individuals (not reviewers) on here who I follow because based on their signature collections and observations I suspect that they have the same taste as me .....

What do you think of Nio and Z1R? Just curious

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #15,456 of 23,496
Out of interest, what are the "issues the cable that comes with it has"?

As for cable recommendations at that price it is a tough one. Nio really benefits from a silver cable, or at least a decent SPC, and those are hard to come by at that price. I might perhaps recommend a Forza Audio Hybrid IEM cable. It is an SPC cable which has a lean / clean sound, is thin, flexible, and thus very ergonomic.

Not much in terms of sound, just read reports on stiffness and problems with the 2pin connectors.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #15,457 of 23,496
In my experience, 64’s 2-pin sockets rank among the best in the industry. Is this problem occurring with the stock cable or an aftermarket one? If it’s the latter, it could be the cable’s pins that are on the looser side. If it’s the former, then I’d recommend contacting 64’s support.
I got the silver cable that 64 audio was giving with the initial Nio sales. It definitely sounds better than the stock. I may have to send it back to them, rather than glue it.

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #15,461 of 23,496
What do you think of Nio and Z1R? Just curious

Both are very very good. The Nio's connect with me on a musical and emotional level. The Z1R's are technical/analytical and can distract you from the music (if that makes sense) because I find myself stretching into/exploring the tune (is that holographic?) rather than listening to it (if that makes any sense).

Don't get me wrong, I love to hear something new in an old tune and both iem's are very capable of doing this but it shouldn't become too distracting imo.

Vocals seem better with the Nio (I like vocals).

With the mx module in the Nio there is very little difference between them to my ears; but I prefer the m20 m15 sound so the Nio is my favourite.

Also, people rave about the excellent treble of the Z1R, which is true, but the Nio is no slouch in this department either with that little tia driver literally in your head.

If I'd bought the Z1R first I would have stopped looking for another IEM; but I'm glad I have the Nio and very lucky to own them both.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #15,462 of 23,496
Both are very very good. The Nio's connect with me on a musical and emotional level. The Z1R's are technical/analytical and can distract you from the music (if that makes sense) because I find myself stretching into/exploring the tune (is that holographic?) rather than listening to it (if that makes any sense).

Don't get me wrong, I love to hear something new in an old tune and both iem's are very capable of doing this but it shouldn't become too distracting imo.

Vocals seem better with the Nio (I like vocals).

With the mx module in the Nio there is very little difference between them to my ears; but I prefer the m20 m15 sound so the Nio is my favourite.

Also, people rave about the excellent treble of the Z1R, which is true, but the Nio is no slouch in this department either with that little tia driver literally in your head.

If I'd bought the Z1R first I would have stopped looking for another IEM; but I'm glad I have the Nio and very lucky to own them both.

I've read around that the Nio sounds similar to the Solaris, both being very "relaxed" in sound. I don't know if you've had a chance to test the Solaris, but do you think that's true?
Because I didn't like the Solaris very much, I bought it and sold it shortly after.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #15,463 of 23,496
I've read around that the Nio sounds similar to the Solaris, both being very "relaxed" in sound. I don't know if you've had a chance to test the Solaris, but do you think that's true?
Because I didn't like the Solaris very much, I bought it and sold it shortly after.

I'd say the Solaris and Nio are quite different animals. The Nio has far great bass weight and slam, an overall thicker and more organic sound, and relaxed treble (mids are a little forward in the mix but this tends to counterbalance the lower end). On the other hand the Solaris is a lot leaner, with a drier and more neutral sound.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #15,464 of 23,496
I'd say the Solaris and Nio are quite different animals. The Nio has far great bass weight and slam, an overall thicker and more organic sound, and relaxed treble (mids are a little forward in the mix but this tends to counterbalance the lower end). On the other hand the Solaris is a lot leaner, with a drier and more neutral sound.

I am imagining that the sound of the Nio is similar to that of the IMR R3 Halcyon, with a very exagerated bass that sounded bloated. And I don't know if I'm very wrong or not.

I didn't like the sound of the IMR R3 Halcyon at all, and yet I quite like the IMR Opus Mia, which has the same driver configuration...

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #15,465 of 23,496
I am imagining that the sound of the Nio is similar to that of the IMR R3 Halcyon, with a very exagerated bass that sounded bloated. And I don't know if I'm very wrong or not.

I didn't like the sound of the IMR R3 Halcyon at all, and yet I quite like the IMR Opus Mia, which has the same driver configuration...
I wouldn't compare the Nio to any of the IMR IEMs. Good as they are for the price, they don't come close to the refinement and control and expert tuning of the Nio (and that's coming from a bona fide IMR fan).

IMR is all about big, bold, but uncontrolled bass, whereas Nio is nuanced, textured and very well controlled in my opinion, though of course a bit too big and bold for some with M15/20.

I personally don't find the Nio bloated, even with M15, with most of my music, but it can get a little loose and doesn't have the most focused or punchy bass response I've heard in a top tier IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back