The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #14,671 of 23,490
Do these normally come with M15 or M20? I don’t see an option to choose when I go to purchase.
Depends on the model. The likes of the U12t come with both M15 and M20; the Nio comes with those plus the MX; and of course some have built-in (i.e., not interchangeable) modules such as the Trio.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #14,673 of 23,490
Not sure why there are past complaints about the original Fourte like incoherent sound, funny stage and wonky tonality... I just had it for a few days and even though it has been almost 4 years since it was initially released, it still sounded great to me. It is very musical and vocals have accurate tones true to real voices. Technicalities are at high level as well. Am I missing something?

I feel it’s because most of the Fourte’s liberties lie in the midrange, and the midrange is arguably where you have the most leeway in terms of colouration. A slight excess of bass or a misplaced treble spike can be enough to ruin a signature, while the mids tend to be more of a subjective area. As I mentioned on my Noir review, I personally found the 1kHz dip a tad noticeable. But, it can still be a fun, enjoyable listen, regardless. As always, it all comes down to taste.

Do you think listening to music from my phone with the a18s would be an issue? I read some reviews saying it doesn’t down scale very well compared to the a12t.

Have reviews said that about the A18s? Are you sure it wasn’t the A18t? One of the things 64’s added with the A18s is LID technology, which essentially preserves the signature of the IEM no matter what device you plug it into. I think it works flawlessly out of a phone, or even the noisy headphone output on my Yamaha CL5 at church. You’d definitely get stronger dynamics and more holographic imaging out of a high-end DAP, because its DAC is able to decode more of that information. But, I’d see it more as room to grow, rather than a necessity for the IEM to “sound good”.

Do these normally come with M15 or M20? I don’t see an option to choose when I go to purchase.

Both my A18t (retail purchase) and A18s (review sample) came with both M15 and M20 modules. I don’t know whether or not that’s changed with their new packaging and accessories set.

Interesting, most consider the Odin a 'reference' IEM and the Fourte a 'fun' IEM and you have that swapped around. Funny how people hear and describe the same IEMs so differently.

I’d tend to lean ever-so-slightly more towards what you’ve said, but the A18s is what I’d personally call my mixing reference. But, I also know of others who prefer the A18t for its brighter, crisper treble. So, yeah, we’re gonna have to settle for “funny” on this debate. :p

How does the sub bass of the a18s compare to the a12t?

They should be equal on extension. The A12t just has a bit more of an emphasis there.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #14,675 of 23,490
Thanks, maybe they were talking about the a18t. I’m just trying to justify whether I should spend the extra 1k for the a18s.

Yeah, audio terminologies aside, at the end of the day, the best option will be the one that fits your needs and circumstances best. The A12t is no slouch by any means too. It’s 64’s most popular model among touring artists for a reason.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #14,677 of 23,490
Mr. X’s speaker sounding tia Fourte vs Mr. T’s tia Fourte Noir :tiger:

Hahah thats me 😛😛😛😛

I met with him hes a very cool guy and he also have the original fourte 🙃 I did a/b them vs noirs too. He also have Odin!

By the way did you get your fourte new or second hand?

Its this buddy right here hehe
@HIFI Butterfly

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #14,678 of 23,490
Not sure why there are past complaints about the original Fourte like incoherent sound, funny stage and wonky tonality... I just had it for a few days and even though it has been almost 4 years since it was initially released, it still sounded great to me. It is very musical and vocals have accurate tones true to real voices. Technicalities are at high level as well. Am I missing something?

I think the thing about the fourte is, whether or not you find the "incoherent sound," "funny stage," and "wonky tonality" to be endearing or unpleasant.

Literally all the people I've spoken with who like or dislike the fourte, agree that it has some or all of the aforementioned attributes. I definitely did not find the the tonality of the fourte to be accurate in the slightest, as you do...however, just like you, i enjoyed the fourte quite a lot when i heard it. it's actually one of the few iems i've heard through the years that i'd like to revisit sometime.

It's interesting you're saying you're not hearing these characteristics of its sound; perhaps you're just digging it so much that you don't realize that these are precisely the things you like about the fourte?

The best thing i've seen written about the fourte is a quote by part-time hf reviewer and part-time action hero, @PinkyPowers (paraphrasing here):

"The fourte aims for real, but overshoots, and lands somewhere in Narnia." :upside_down:

Hope you keep enjoying the new fourte, man!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #14,679 of 23,490
do you think that’s because the a18s is newer and eventually they will switch over?

I think it is because the A12t is just that good. The fact it is $1000 less is amplified when an artist purchases them for the entire band.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #14,680 of 23,490
I feel it’s because most of the Fourte’s liberties lie in the midrange, and the midrange is arguably where you have the most leeway in terms of colouration. A slight excess of bass or a misplaced treble spike can be enough to ruin a signature, while the mids tend to be more of a subjective area. As I mentioned on my Noir review, I personally found the 1kHz dip a tad noticeable. But, it can still be a fun, enjoyable listen, regardless. As always, it all comes down to taste.

I have a friend who’s been listening to this particular singer all his life and know her voice by the back of his hands. I let him listen to the Odin first and he said it doesn’t sound exactly like her voice. He then listen to Fourte and said, yep that her voice with all the lifelike characteristics. I agree it comes down to taste for everyone. It’s just an interesting observation.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #14,681 of 23,490
I think the thing about the fourte is, whether or not you find the "incoherent sound," "funny stage," and "wonky tonality" to be endearing or unpleasant.

Literally all the people I've spoken with who like or dislike the fourte, agree that it has some or all of the aforementioned attributes. I definitely did not find the the tonality of the fourte to be accurate in the slightest, as you do...however, just like you, i enjoyed the fourte quite a lot when i heard it. it's actually one of the few iems i've heard through the years that i'd like to revisit sometime.

It's interesting you're saying you're not hearing these characteristics of its sound; perhaps you're just digging it so much that you don't realize that these are precisely the things you like about the fourte?

The best thing i've seen written about the fourte is a quote by part-time hf reviewer and part-time action hero, @PinkyPowers (paraphrasing here):

"The fourte aims for real, but overshoots, and lands somewhere in Narnia." :upside_down:

Hope you keep enjoying the new fourte, man!

Yes I have read all the reviews there is available and not one is consistent. Some were just all positives while others talked about totally different ‘flaws’.

I am not saying the Fourte has no flaws (tell me which iem has no flaws I’ll buy it :relaxed:) but I just didn’t find it as bad as what have been said before. I think it deserves better mentions IMO.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #14,682 of 23,490
Hahah thats me 😛😛😛😛

I met with him hes a very cool guy and he also have the original fourte 🙃 I did a/b them vs noirs too. He also have Odin!

By the way did you get your fourte new or second hand?

Its this buddy right here hehe
@HIFI Butterfly

I have not yet bought the Fourte. It is a loan unit.

Yeah he has another video that he talks more about his Fourte and Odin.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #14,683 of 23,490
Yes I have read all the reviews there is available and not one is consistent. Some were just all positives while others talked about totally different ‘flaws’.

I am not saying the Fourte has no flaws (tell me which iem has no flaws I’ll buy it :relaxed:) but I just didn’t find it as bad as what have been said before. I think it deserves better mentions IMO.
I think what most Fourte reviews highlight is that it's quite a polarising IEM because the tuning is quite different to many other flagships, and also in comparison to some of 64's other IEMs that have safer or smoother tuning (like Trio, U12t etc.). If you fall into the group that loves the Fourte, it's all golden. If you don't like the tuning, then you'll knock it. Sounds like you're in the first group.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #14,684 of 23,490
I think what most Fourte reviews highlight is that it's quite a polarising IEM because the tuning is quite different to many other flagships, and also in comparison to some of 64's other IEMs that have safer or smoother tuning (like Trio, U12t etc.). If you fall into the group that loves the Fourte, it's all golden. If you don't like the tuning, then you'll knock it. Sounds like you're in the first group.

Agree with you and thanks for your view. So far I enjoy listening to it. Will probably pull the trigger. Just trying to make sure as it’s expensive and I have already lost a lot previously on the Trio and U12t.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #14,685 of 23,490
Agree with you and thanks for your view. So far I enjoy listening to it. Will probably pull the trigger. Just trying to make sure as it’s expensive and I have already lost a lot previously on the Trio and U12t.
At least you get to demo before you buy. I've blind bought everything I have, and lost a lot in the process. The trick is, at some point, to stop chasing. If you're someone that needs to try every single IEM that might possibly be pleasing, just make sure your bank balance is ready for the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back