The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 18, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #13,623 of 23,530
The nozzle diameter on the Trio is about 5.5mm. Most tips with bore size in the range 3.2 mm - 5.5 mm will fit. The coating of the Trio nozzle is a little grippy, so tips with bore size of 5.5 mm can still be used but not as snug as smaller sizes.

Some of the tips that I’ve tried that fit the Trio are (sizes are inner bore diameter):

Acoustune AET07 (4.37 mm)
Acoustune AET08 (3.16 mm)
Azla SednaEarFit/Light (5.4 mm)
Azla SednaEarFit/Light Short (4.5 mm)
ePro Horn-Shaped (3.7 mm)
Final Audio Type E (3.5 mm)
JVC Spiral Dots/++ (4.0 mm)
SpinFit CP100 (4.0 mm)
SpinFit CP145 (4.5 mm)
SpinFit CP155/CP500 (5.5 mm)
SpinFit CP360/CP1025 (3.6 mm)
Symbio W/Wn/Wa (4.5 mm)

Symbio F bore size is 4.5mm so it will fit as well.
Thanks David. I’ve though of getting the Symbio W (not sure on difference between W/Wn/Wa). How did you find these with the Trio?

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #13,624 of 23,530
Vitaliy said in the recent Q&A session on 9-Sept, the new product would not be a new flagship but something new. It will be out by Christmas. He assured customers to not worry to buy existing products if they like them now. Not sure but my guess is either something in between existing ones or could be a new affordable product who’s know.

Also, he said they are working on TWS custom iems and fully tubeless customs.

Wow great to know and I am super impatient to see the new Tws with custom tubless design I will 100% buy one for sure!
Starting right now saving my money yaay

Is there a link where I can see the video or is it in a forum only?

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #13,625 of 23,530
An entry-level 64 Audio IEM would be fabulous, but then what's 'entry level' for 64 Audio? You'll want Apex, maybe LiD, probably won't get a Tia driver in a lower-priced IEM but you never know. If it keeps the look and feel of the Nio (maybe with a funky faceplate design), and sells for less than $1k they'll have a winner. They can even call it Mio (short for My Audio)!
That's always the question, right? I think 64Audio have their universal shells down, so they could use those as the basis without any more R&D or tooling costs. I don't know if LID would be a big seller in a more affordable IEM, I'd be tempted to leave it out. Actually, the same with APEX, believe it or not. The products they'd be competing with don't have either, so perhaps that's a viable way to bring prices down and still keep their more expensive IEMs relevant. Now you'll soon know I've never designed an IEM: is it possible to get a large fraction of the U12t tuning with only six drivers for less money? What about using twelve off-the-shelf Knowles drivers with the existing U12t crossover and shell? The result might be garbage, but those are the paths I'd explore first.

Something a little riskier would be acrylic shells with the existing shapes, or even 3D printed shells. Of course, then they might end up sacrificing durability and perceived quality to manufacture to a price point. There be dragons, at least sometimes.

I flatter myself in thinking I'm rational, so if 64Audio came out with a "value" line and the IEMs didn't sound as good as the Trio/U12t/U18t/Fourte it wouldn't bother me at all. Neither would it bother me if the less expensive IEMs were made out of plastic and had poorer fit-'n-finish than the Trio/U12t/U18t/Fourte. Those things are why people are willing to pay $2000 for an IEM. What would bother me is if the Trio/U12t/U18t/Fourte slid after the "value" line was introduced. That would be bad mojo.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #13,627 of 23,530
Thanks David. I’ve though of getting the Symbio W (not sure on difference between W/Wn/Wa). How did you find these with the Trio?

Symbio W is hybrid foam/silicone tips but you can remove the form and use it like normal silicone tips too. Wn and Wa are exactly the same as the standard W but come with extra adapters for smaller bore iems like Shure, Westone, etc.

I like Symbio because they just works and sound great on most of my iems. I customized it tho for my franken-tips that I’ve posted about earlier to address my Trio fit issue. On other iems I just use them as is. If you don’t have fit issue with normal tips then you can give them a try, or you can custom it like I did (YMMV tho as fitting varies depending on individual)

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #13,628 of 23,530
That's always the question, right? I think 64Audio have their universal shells down, so they could use those as the basis without any more R&D or tooling costs. I don't know if LID would be a big seller in a more affordable IEM, I'd be tempted to leave it out. Actually, the same with APEX, believe it or not. The products they'd be competing with don't have either, so perhaps that's a viable way to bring prices down and still keep their more expensive IEMs relevant. Now you'll soon know I've never designed an IEM: is it possible to get a large fraction of the U12t tuning with only six drivers for less money? What about using twelve off-the-shelf Knowles drivers with the existing U12t crossover and shell? The result might be garbage, but those are the paths I'd explore first.

Something a little riskier would be acrylic shells with the existing shapes, or even 3D printed shells. Of course, then they might end up sacrificing durability and perceived quality to manufacture to a price point. There be dragons, at least sometimes.

I flatter myself in thinking I'm rational, so if 64Audio came out with a "value" line and the IEMs didn't sound as good as the Trio/U12t/U18t/Fourte it wouldn't bother me at all. Neither would it bother me if the less expensive IEMs were made out of plastic and had poorer fit-'n-finish than the Trio/U12t/U18t/Fourte. Those things are why people are willing to pay $2000 for an IEM. What would bother me is if the Trio/U12t/U18t/Fourte slid after the "value" line was introduced. That would be bad mojo.
For point of comparison Custom Art include the fibae tech which sounds similar to lid in all the models of that range. Apex I thought would have a major impact on the sound have to be retuned. Shell shape agreed would be the biggest impact on fit.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #13,629 of 23,530
Wow great to know and I am super impatient to see the new Tws with custom tubless design I will 100% buy one for sure!
Starting right now saving my money yaay

Is there a link where I can see the video or is it in a forum only?

It is on 64 Audio Instagram. Good to follow for updates and news about 64. They just started having these sessions so Vitaliy said he’s looking forward to doing more in future.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #13,631 of 23,530
For point of comparison Custom Art include the fibae tech which sounds similar to lid in all the models of that range. Apex I thought would have a major impact on the sound have to be retuned. Shell shape agreed would be the biggest impact on fit.
I don't know if APEX by itself affects the sound, but it does affect comfort and fatigue. Now, if you have several APEX modules to choose from, then you can affect the sound. I make that distinction because my Trio do not have interchangeable APEX modules, so the sound I bought is the sound I get. If I was trying to get to a more entry-level price, I think I'd try without APEX first, certainly without interchangeable APEX modules. I don't know if there'd be a market for extra $100 APEX modules for a $300 IEM (or $500, etc.).

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #13,632 of 23,530
I think they'll go with an entry level design. Not sure of the material but I'd put my money on 3d printed shells.
They should absolutely go with APEX, maybe offer choice of one module to keep costs down. Apex (and Adel before) is where 64Audio made their name.
People who suffer tinnitus, or are quick to have listening fatigue really flocked early to 64audio for this reason. That the sound was so good was just more reason
to stay with the company sound.
I started with the U4SE specifically for these reasons, recently (monday!) got a pair of Nios which I can't be happier with.
I've auditioned almost the entire universal line and something about the Nio just sings to me.
When I talk to people about sound/iems/audio in general the thing I get is most people think $1700 is ridiculous to spend on 'earbuds'.
Anything more is just obscene.
While I don't see 64Audio stealing sales from the Beats crowd, I do see them pulling more from the mid-fi crowds, people who realize
that there is better sound but may not be able to shell out $2K for an IEM, let alone $4 or $5k (or more) for multiple IEMs.
The other thing I see are custom versions of the Trio, and Fourtes.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #13,633 of 23,530
I don't know if APEX by itself affects the sound, but it does affect comfort and fatigue. Now, if you have several APEX modules to choose from, then you can affect the sound. I make that distinction because my Trio do not have interchangeable APEX modules, so the sound I bought is the sound I get. If I was trying to get to a more entry-level price, I think I'd try without APEX first, certainly without interchangeable APEX modules. I don't know if there'd be a market for extra $100 APEX modules for a $300 IEM (or $500, etc.).
Pretty sure apex does have an impact on the sound and tuning of iems. There was some talk recently in the empire ears thread about why they don't use apex/adel tech in their iems anymore and the answer was basically that they couldn't achieve the tunings they wanted with it so they stopped using it.

Just the fact that you can swap modules to affect sound and that adding a solid block "module" further affects sound is enough evidence to me. I would imagine any front venting on an iem would affect the tuning.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #13,634 of 23,530
I think they'll go with an entry level design. Not sure of the material but I'd put my money on 3d printed shells.
They should absolutely go with APEX, maybe offer choice of one module to keep costs down. Apex (and Adel before) is where 64Audio made their name.
People who suffer tinnitus, or are quick to have listening fatigue really flocked early to 64audio for this reason. That the sound was so good was just more reason
to stay with the company sound.
I started with the U4SE specifically for these reasons, recently (monday!) got a pair of Nios which I can't be happier with.
I've auditioned almost the entire universal line and something about the Nio just sings to me.
When I talk to people about sound/iems/audio in general the thing I get is most people think $1700 is ridiculous to spend on 'earbuds'.
Anything more is just obscene.
While I don't see 64Audio stealing sales from the Beats crowd, I do see them pulling more from the mid-fi crowds, people who realize
that there is better sound but may not be able to shell out $2K for an IEM, let alone $4 or $5k (or more) for multiple IEMs.
The other thing I see are custom versions of the Trio, and Fourtes.

JH Audio and Empire Ears both have IEMs / CIEMS under $1000, I think both have three models with the lowest one being a few hundred dollars. They get all the lower priced buyers and 64 Audio is missing that crowd.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #13,635 of 23,530
An entry-level 64 Audio IEM would be fabulous, but then what's 'entry level' for 64 Audio? You'll want Apex, maybe LiD, probably won't get a Tia driver in a lower-priced IEM but you never know. If it keeps the look and feel of the Nio (maybe with a funky faceplate design), and sells for less than $1k they'll have a winner. They can even call it Mio (short for My Audio)!

A good ol' single DD is always welcome.
Priced sanely and featuring an insane resolution.
"DDéjà vu", perhaps.
Or, "Uno".

64Audio-Uno.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back