The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 2, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #12,376 of 23,496
Aug 2, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #12,378 of 23,496
They honestly surprised me.

I am going in with no expectations I just want to cross "spend some QT with an Andro" off my bucket list.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #12,381 of 23,496
Aug 2, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #12,382 of 23,496
I didn't really like the previous versions of the Andromeda, but this one seems to be more towards my preferences. I can recommend the 2020 over the Sony IER-M9, but I couldn't do it before this year's model.

I know a significant number of people who prefer OG Andro to the M9...I've never gathered them to be similar IEMs though...the M9 seems closer to something like the u12t than Andro. I guess I should stop hijacking the 64 thread...more Nio impressions please! :p

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #12,383 of 23,496
Anyone have any clue what type of eartips these are? So far they’re hands down the best paired up with M15!
583FDE3A-FC56-4DB2-996E-2A539B98B37A.jpeg2AF36E13-3CDB-4D6D-B3D4-3ACE26D6FDEC.jpeg
Possibly medium sized acoustune aet07 tips? Doesn't quite look like it, but I don't have mine in front of me to check how similar they are.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #12,384 of 23,496
Possibly medium sized acoustune aet07 tips? Doesn't quite look like it, but I don't have mine in front of me to check how similar they are.
Awesome dude, I have no idea how I acquired these tips, but they 100% are the AET07.

Recommend them fully with Nio and M15. Least stuffy of the tips I’ve tried so far (10+ varieties)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 3, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #12,385 of 23,496
I am going in with no expectations I just want to cross "spend some QT with an Andro" off my bucket list.
Yeah it's still on my bucket list, even though I did spend some time with the silver Andros. I just want to hear how they compare to *my* gold standard of all-BA IEMs, the U12t.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #12,386 of 23,496
I just want to hear how they compare to *my* gold standard of all-BA IEMs, the U12t.

I'm interested in that too-- my gold standard for BA IEMs (that I've heard so far) is the u12t along with the VE8.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #12,387 of 23,496
I've never been as a big a fan of the sednas as others, the material is too hard which usually means discomfort, even the lights are still a bit too stiff. The xelastec are fine and they seal incredibly well, but they will require way way more cleaning than other tips (except maybe foams which I don't use). The epro tips are I think softer than the spiral dot ++, though I mean that more in terms of flexibility rather than touch/feel. So the only issue there is that if a tip is too soft and flexible, if the fit isn't just right, it will deform and you will lose the seal completely which is what happened with the large tips for me.

Only tips I tried that were softer were earrbond hybrid tips. They were so soft that they deformed even from just pushing them in my ear. Couldn't get a seal at all with them.

Yo, agree the Sedna is too hard and not very comfy. They sound a bit on bright side for me as well (bought all 4 variants, not the Xelastec).

How do u find the ePro sound? I think they sound very different than other regular tips, hard to describe the sound. Sound stage seems bigger, sort of like listening in a big studio and bass is enhanced too (more textured and tighter control?). Sound energy seems also smoothen out, yet still image well like it has a blacker background... not sure I’m crazy lol

Yeah the ePro tips do deform easily due to thin material. I didn’t like it at first but later learned the right way to fit them. Trick is to insert the tips without pushing too hard into the ears, it will seal well.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #12,388 of 23,496
I tried @Titienne ’s Fir O and it sounds tonally closer to the M15 than it does the MX.
We had the luxury of comparing with Z1R and it quickly confirmed it is a better technical performer than Nio. M15 sounds most like a Z1R but with smoothed off upper treble, and more bass quantity (yes, can confirm).

Fir O sounds tonally the most musical with still pretty heavy bass. Sadly, I find the sub bass rolls off more akin to the MX, but midbass stays similar to M15.

Ironically, despite the MX kind of rolling off bass quickly below 60hz, it’s by far my preferred module as it opens up the Nio and gives it the most articulation and “neutral- forward” midrange. Thing is, it makes Nio sound more monitor-like, and less musical than what I think everyone expects of Nio... and it turns out I really like that more. It’s nothing like a Z1R at this point, but more like a U12T/ M9 hybrid.

Note I’m coming from KSE1500/ IER-M9 and also EX1000/ Andro S and much prefer a traditional hi-fi/ linear tuning.
Great impressions. Judging by your previous IEM list it doesn't seem you're put off by hot/bright treble and BA bass, which gives context to what you're saying. That's important, and missing from too many reviews.

With all the talk of midbass, subbass and relaxed treble, I'm scratching my head to think of an IEM that has TOTL DD subbass, a more linear midbass, forward and organic mids, and the Nio's relaxed treble (which is where I like the treble to be). Doesn't sound like it's the Z1R (though that's already ruled out due to size and fit). Trio's treble can't be described as relaxed, nor its vocals organic. Nio comes closest so far.

This week's toying with the various modules should be interesting indeed.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #12,389 of 23,496
Thanks, good advice.

I actually picked them up second hand here on head-fi.

I guess I'll wait and see what my initial impressions are first!

Thanks again
Similar to you I've had my U12ts for 4 months now, and wow, so much going on, it will be an attack on your senses!

Azla Sedna's arrived 2 weeks ago which have made an improvement.

An ISN SC4 cable arrived over the weekend and I need more time with it, but it seems to have removed some bass bloat, as more bass detail, and theres more depth.

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #12,390 of 23,496
Similar to you I've had my U12ts for 4 months now, and wow, so much going on, it will be an attack on your senses!

Azla Sedna's arrived 2 weeks ago which have made an improvement.

An ISN SC4 cable arrived over the weekend and I need more time with it, but it seems to have removed some bass bloat, as more bass detail, and theres more depth.
Bass bloat is not a term I've heard used with the U12t before. If you think the U12t are too bassy, best avoid Nio!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back