The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 29, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #12,167 of 23,496
Even on black friday? I believe that's when the prices are at their lowest, but not sure.

Yes. Black Friday is no more than 20% for 64 Audio and Empire Ears typically. Sometimes they are only 15% off on Black Friday. Last year, I got a better deal on an early summer sale than they had at Black Friday (speaking of Empire Ears).

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #12,169 of 23,496
today im enjoying NIO with M20 after a while of adjusting from M15 the last days , i really love the sound :)
Now that my Nio has relaxed its bass considerably after 100h+ burn-in, I need to try it with the M20 too. I miss some of that out-the-box boom.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #12,170 of 23,496
It might not be so sad if you have enough money.

perhaps i was misunderstood.

buying things primarily to "own" them, rather than to actually "use" them for their intended functional purposes, is a bit of a sad thought to me.

not at all a dig at you, @Rockwell75, as i reckon you quite enjoy actually listening to the gear you buy.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #12,171 of 23,496
Now that my Nio has relaxed its bass considerably after 100h+ burn-in, I need to try it with the M20 too. I miss some of that out-the-box boom.
yes same here , i found it out of the box a bit "overdone" with M20 , but now i really like the m20 , maybe even prefer it now over m15. i think i have around 50h on nio now .

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #12,172 of 23,496
yes same here , i found it out of the box a bit "overdone" with M20 , but now i really like the m20 , maybe even prefer it now over m15. i think i have around 50h on nio now .
Maybe Linus wasn't too far off with his bass assessment after all... His must have been well burned in by the time he reviewed it, which would explain the very balanced bass he was hearing (which is what my M15 Nio more-or-less sounds like now).

PS. for any burn-in non-believers out there (I was one of you once), the Nio is a poster child for the effects of burn-in. Not sure if it's universally applicable, but it is with Nio.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #12,173 of 23,496
So I can confirm , the silver premium cable is way , really way more comfy to use without the hooks .. like @twister6 said , it’s very easy to do , a leatherman gets the job done pretty quick an safe :)
D1A3FD54-E7FE-404F-9FC0-2C66B5DED1A2.jpeg

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #12,174 of 23,496
So I can confirm , the silver premium cable is way , really way more comfy to use without the hooks .. like @twister6 said , it’s very easy to do , a leatherman gets the job done pretty quick an safe :)
I notice a small piece of wire sticking out from just beneath the end of the 2-pin connector. Is there any way to carefully get in there and snip it off without damaging the 2-pin holder, or pushing it under the holder so you can't see any wire act all? I'm willing to doing the same to mine on condition I can't see any remnants of the wire after the job is done.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #12,175 of 23,496
I notice a small piece of wire sticking out from just beneath the end of the 2-pin connector. Is there any way to carefully get in there and snip it off without damaging the 2-pin holder, or pushing it under the holder so you can't see any wire act all? I'm willing to doing the same to mine on condition I can't see any remnants of the wire after the job is done.
i think you can cut it off more , i will do that also , just need to go get a smaller cutter.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #12,176 of 23,496
Maybe Linus wasn't too far off with his bass assessment after all... His must have been well burned in by the time he reviewed it, which would explain the very balanced bass he was hearing (which is what my M15 Nio more-or-less sounds like now).

PS. for any burn-in non-believers out there (I was one of you once), the Nio is a poster child for the effects of burn-in. Not sure if it's universally applicable, but it is with Nio.
I don't doubt there would be some minor changes to texture, even some FR. But that review mentioned a mid to upper bass focus, which isn't accurate for the production version of the Nio. No amount of burn in will make that happen, its clearly tuned for a low bass focus

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #12,177 of 23,496
I may give this a try. Though I go back and forth with the memory wire. I find that have either memory wire or molded earhooks is often preferable as it distributes the weight more evenly instead of a lot of it resting on my antitragus. But memory wire itself definitely more often than not causes it's own discomfort over the top of my ear since it's stiff and doesn't move.

Definitely gotta clean it up a little and get that last piece of wire trimmed or tucked back though!

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #12,178 of 23,496
i think you can cut it off more , i will do that also , just need to go get a smaller cutter.
Please let me know if you can, and if you can push the last bit of wire under the 2-pin holder so it disappears. Wouldn't mind a pic or two of the final look. OCD won't allow me to have it any other way! :see_no_evil:

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #12,179 of 23,496
I don't doubt there would be some minor changes to texture, even some FR. But that review mentioned a mid to upper bass focus, which isn't accurate for the production version of the Nio. No amount of burn in will make that happen, its clearly tuned for a low bass focus
That's true - there is no mid-bass hump, or at least not any more. Mid-bass is still slightly elevated on tracks with a prominent and continuous bassline, but it doesn't mask the sub or mids - though it can make the Nio sound thicker and less spacious than the U12t. There's just no getting around that - you either have fuller, thicker bass, or more space and air, especially with the mids as forward as they are. This is not a V-shaped sound by any means, for better or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back