The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 24, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #11,941 of 23,496
Most of the audiophile semantics employed in this thread are beyond me.

I get some of what you guys are saying but would have difficulty having a conversation with you in these terms.

This hobby imo follows the rule of diminishing returns and I am lucky (as you all are apparently) to be able to indulge in this journey.

I feel a bit like an outsider looking in; am i in danger of winking out of existence (or disappearing up my own ar$e) being here?

My main hope, having realised that exponential price increases do not equate to the equivalent improvements (to my ears) in audiological nirvana, is that the NIO's are not too uncomfortable in my ears.

No amount of blessed sound will stop the cartilage in my concha from complaining; one of the reasons why I have not bought an ier-z1r.

So.... how is the Nio for comfort?

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #11,942 of 23,496
You missed my entire point :D

What I'm saying is, while you might want effortless, that doesn't mean that effortless would work for everyone.

You might want a realistic sound, but I want the absolute and complete opposite of realistic. Different people have different preferences, and slapping a universal "headphones are better" makes half the forum eyeroll so far back they can see their brains lol

My main hope, having realised that exponential price increases do not equate to the equivalent improvements (to my ears) in audiological nirvana, is that the NIO's are not too uncomfortable in my ears.

I think in today’s current inflated market, Nio comes off as a “bargain” comparatively, but realistically, it’s worth its ask and is a true endgame performer in my opinion!

Comfort is top notch, I don’t think anyone would have comfort issues with the shell design.

Cheers :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 24, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #11,943 of 23,496

I get some of what you guys are saying but would have difficulty having a conversation with you in these terms.

This hobby imo follows the rule of diminishing returns and I am lucky (as you all are apparently) to be able to indulge in this journey.

I feel a bit like an outsider looking in; am i in danger of winking out of existence (or disappearing up my own ar$e) being here?

No amount of blessed sound will stop the cartilage in my concha from complaining; one of the reasons why I have not bought an ier-z1r.

I wouldn’t say it’s flat out uncomfortable, but I never managed to get a good fit with 64 universals, while their customs are some of the nicest fitting customs I’ve owned. It’s very dependent on your ear though, it’s hard to receive advice on a uni IEM in that sense

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #11,944 of 23,496
06463798-1078-4E06-A5D0-6FFAB77B1BAB.jpeg

:) these really look like gems :)

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #11,945 of 23,496
Comfort for me is pretty good with 64a universal iems. Not perfect, whereas the z1r is very very uncomfortable. There can be a little weight for me on the bottom of the ear (antitragus), but memory wire cables help by supporting the weight a bit, but also cause me some discomfort on the top of my ear.

So it really depends. But personally I think they are pretty comfortable for a larger multi driver iem.

I wouldn’t say it’s flat out uncomfortable, but I never managed to get a good fit with 64 universals, while their customs are some of the nicest fitting customs I’ve owned. It’s very dependent on your ear though, it’s hard to receive advice on a uni IEM in that sense
Yea totally agree with this. I have had a number of iems that are near universally praised for comfort that are just not comfortable to me at all (see ibasso it03). So definitely depends on the individual.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #11,947 of 23,496

Agreed. This is why I always skip the fit/comfort portion of any review. Everyone's ears are different. So what may work for some may not work for others. With that said, 64Audio has given the Nio a longer nozzle and glossy body as opposed to the matte of previous universal models. Also, the 2-pin socket has been extended out a little more from the main body.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #11,950 of 23,496
I don't think customs are the end game.

My s8pro's are actually more comfortable than my customs in silicon - and these customs were sent back several times for refit before i accepted them..

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #11,952 of 23,496
Agreed. This is why I always skip the fit/comfort portion of any review. Everyone's ears are different. So what may work for some may not work for others. With that said, 64Audio has given the Nio a longer nozzle and glossy body as opposed to the matte of previous universal models. Also, the 2-pin socket has been extended out a little more from the main body.
Thanks.

I think the longer nozzle might work for me.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #11,953 of 23,496

Excellent. I find it just gets out of the way. The key for me is the tips you choose. They're very light, so weight isn't an issue. They're also fairly small and not too thick.

:) these really look like gems :)

They really do. I sometimes find myself staring at them for a while, rolling them in the light, before putting them on.

fit is fantastic so far with alza xelastecs

This is definitely the FOTM tip! May just have to get myself a set to try.

With that said, 64Audio has given the Nio a longer nozzle and glossy body as opposed to the matte of previous universal models.

Can't say I'm a big fan of long nozzles. Would have preferred a shorter nozzle with a shallower fit but I get that the Tia driver needs some room. As for the paint, wouldn't be an issue if they added a small notch to hold tips in place. As it is, unless you have a tip with a stem that grips the nozzle, it's bye bye tip when you take them out.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #11,954 of 23,496
Speaking of Sedna Xelastec, would you guys who use them recommend getting the same size you use for regular Sednas? I ask because the Sedna tips are fairly firm, so I use as small a size as necessary for the tip not to push against my ear canals too much. Are the Xelastec much softer and more pliable and should I therefore get one size up as they deform easier?

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #11,955 of 23,496
Excellent. I find it just gets out of the way. The key for me is the tips you choose. They're very light, so weight isn't an issue. They're also fairly small and not too thick.

They really do. I sometimes find myself staring at them for a while, rolling them in the light, before putting them on.

This is definitely the FOTM tip! May just have to get myself a set to try.

Can't say I'm a big fan of long nozzles. Would have preferred a shorter nozzle with a shallower fit but I get that the Tia driver needs some room. As for the paint, wouldn't be an issue if they added a small notch to hold tips in place. As it is, unless you have a tip with a stem that grips the nozzle, it's bye bye tip when you take them out.
get a pair , you wont regret :)
Speaking of Sedna Xelastec, would you guys who use them recommend getting the same size you use for regular Sednas? I ask because the Sedna tips are fairly firm, so I use as small a size as necessary for the tip not to push against my ear canals too much. Are the Xelastec much softer and more pliable and should I therefore get one size up as they deform easier?
yeah same size works for me .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back