The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 11, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #8,957 of 23,532
They do make custom tips, best of both worlds, few different companies make them. It allows you to keep your iem in universal form for easier sale/upgrade

And how is the end result, sound quality wise, compared to universal and custom shells? I also don't want to end up buying a universal and not being able to use the full potential of the IEM.

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #8,958 of 23,532
And how is the end result, sound quality wise, compared to universal and custom shells? I also don't want to end up buying a universal and not being able to use the full potential of the IEM.
Custom is best sound and comfort
If that's your ultimate goal go custom.

Tips of any sort does change sound, slightly, but enough to be noticeable for sure. Custom tips the same way, depending on bore lengh and width material used ect
Go custom. But selling them is harder and you have to go way low on the price

Feb 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #8,959 of 23,532

Tips of any sort does change sound, slightly, but enough to be noticeable for sure. Custom tips the same way, depending on bore lengh and width material used ect
Go custom. But selling them is harder and you have to go way low on the price

I am not lookig for something really for selling but keeping as long as possible. U18t was a better tuned HD800 in an IEM form for me, and our HD800 is with us for the last 5 years - I bought and sold a ton since I bought the HD800. I am not really worried about that but more that I won't be able to get the same sound as the universal version, as I have small ears with narrow ear canals. I would like to have that shiny treble just like the universal one. I guess bass will even be improved.

Feb 11, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #8,960 of 23,532
I am not lookig for something really for selling but keeping as long as possible. U18t was a better tuned HD800 in an IEM form for me, and our HD800 is with us for the last 5 years - I bought and sold a ton since I bought the HD800. I am not really worried about that but more that I won't be able to get the same sound as the universal version, as I have small ears with narrow ear canals. I would like to have that shiny treble just like the universal one. I guess bass will even be improved.
Custom is the way to go for you, sounds like! Get quality ear impressions so you don't have to send your earphones back, also if you can in 3d.

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #8,961 of 23,532
The custom has better treble - more extended, more detailed, but presented in a more delicate way.

the main reason is that the tia high driver is designed to be placed as close to your ear canal as possible. The custom version better achieves this. The better seal also yields better bass as well.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #8,962 of 23,532
Thanks @SupperTime and @toaster22. Looks like I will order my A18t tomorrow. I called today 64 Audio and they told me that if anything goes wrong (because I have small ears with a narrow canal), they will let me know and we will check for something else like A12t, with less drivers. I am pretty excited.

I found my ultimate portable setup which is FiiO M15 + Shure SHA900, now the only missing piece is the IEM. :)

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #8,963 of 23,532
Thanks @SupperTime and @toaster22. Looks like I will order my A18t tomorrow. I called today 64 Audio and they told me that if anything goes wrong (because I have small ears with a narrow canal), they will let me know and we will check for something else like A12t, with less drivers. I am pretty excited.

I found my ultimate portable setup which is FiiO M15 + Shure SHA900, now the only missing piece is the IEM. :)
I hope the a18 fits. Because the 12t is not as good.

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #8,964 of 23,532
The A18t is a fantastic iem.
Years after its release, it’s still one of the best I’ve heard. It is extremely accurate and detailed in its presentation.

I like the 12 as well, but the 18 just adds heaps of energy and high end detail. The 12 is warmer with significantly less treble detail.

detail has nowhere to hide on the 18...

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #8,969 of 23,532
Any cheapish cable recommendations to replace the stock SPC 64Audio cable for the A18t?

I dont know how cheap you are looking but 64a is selling high quality grade cable under accessories in any termination...

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #8,970 of 23,532
Tips of any sort does change sound, slightly, but enough to be noticeable for sure.

To me, U is better,
1. custom some times may cause pain in the ear. and there is no cure. (with universal, can always find a tip combination that doesn't cause pain.)
2. custom's sound signature is not adjustable. what IEM manufacture / designer defines the sound, then that's it, no more room for customization. while with universal can easily change sound signature with tips.

I have converted my A12 to universal (by 3rd party, not A64, and I told them to tune and keep the universal's frequency response curve the same as A12). I don't notice sound difference (tremble and bass). But selecting the right tip is the key to let universal reproduce similar sound to A12 I can't A/B test, can only compare by memory, I don't feel I missed something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back