The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 27, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #5,252 of 23,532
OK, so I finally received my pair of U18. So far, I am in the process of finding the right tips...

The proprietary silicone tips, L size have a problem to my mind... They are very short, such that the termination of the IEM gets out of the actual tip or at least is there, tight at the edge, which is a setup I am not terribly content with... I am not saying I fully understand the reason for this specific design...

The foam tips from 64 Audio are a little bit small for me (they are the L size). I don't like the sound and I think it's because the isolation is not that good.

The L size of JVC dots is what I am using right now, but, again, not really satisfied with the sound... I've got the impression the sound is lacking something... It's not the fuller sound I was expecting, and the compassion is with a pair of IE800 (!!). I guess I should just need a slightly higher size (than L). However, it's strange. . the L size of the silicone proprietary Senns tips (for IE 800) fits and isolate just fine, but this is not the case (for a tip of the same size) for the U18.

I would really appreciate any advice, knowing at the same time that the subject has been addressed previously on this forum, but not specifically in this type of comparison ...

Thank you

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #5,253 of 23,532
The A6t is a fantastic IEM! Don’t sweat it. :wink:
Heh, Im sure of it. In all seriousness though I am contemplating getting universal Phantoms for when wearing a CIEM isn't a good fit for the situation or unavailable (IE. During Sunday Services, at work, fishing, sending in CIEMs for repair or refit.).

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #5,254 of 23,532
OK, so I finally received my pair of U18. So far, I am in the process of finding the right tips...

The proprietary silicone tips, L size have a problem to my mind... They are very short, such that the termination of the IEM gets out of the actual tip or at least is there, tight at the edge, which is a setup I am not terribly content with... I am not saying I fully understand the reason for this specific design...

The foam tips from 64 Audio are a little bit small for me (they are the L size). I don't like the sound and I think it's because the isolation is not that good.

The L size of JVC dots is what I am using right now, but, again, not really satisfied with the sound... I've got the impression the sound is lacking something... It's not the fuller sound I was expecting, and the compassion is with a pair of IE800 (!!). I guess I should just need a slightly higher size (than L). However, it's strange. . the L size of the silicone proprietary Senns tips (for IE 800) fits and isolate just fine, but this is not the case (for a tip of the same size) for the U18.

I would really appreciate any advice, knowing at the same time that the subject has been addressed previously on this forum, but not specifically in this type of comparison ...

Thank you

For me, foam tips are the only type that worked with my U18. I too found the 64 Audio foam tips to be a tad small. I recommend trying Comply TX-500 (https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Cancelling-SoundPEATS-Symphonized-Replacement/dp/B002OOWBWK). The large size are a bit bigger than the stock 64 Audio. You can also try Symbio Mandarin wides, which are a hybrid foam/silicone tip that come in a bazillion sizes (http://symbioeartips.com/termek/symbio-w/). Personally, the Symbios weren't as isolating as the Comply tips, and they were also painful during longer sessions.

The good news is that Comply are amazing for me. They are super comfortable, and I can keep them in all day. They are also very isolating and make my U18s sound absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #5,255 of 23,532
For me, foam tips are the only type that worked for me and my U18. I too found the 64 Audio foam tips to be a tad small as well. I recommend trying Comply TX-500 (https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Cancelling-SoundPEATS-Symphonized-Replacement/dp/B002OOWBWK). The large size are a bit bigger than the stock 64 Audio. You can also try Symbio Mandarin wides, which are a hybrid foam/silicone tip that come in a bazillion sizes (http://symbioeartips.com/termek/symbio-w/). Personally, the Symbios weren't as isolating as the Comply tips, and they were also painful during longer sessions.

The good news is that Comply are amazing for me. They are super comfortable, and I can keep them in all day. They are also very isolating and make my U18s sound absolutely fantastic.

I'll try them, thanks a lot!

I have the Symbios, for me they are a no go, very poor fitting and muddy sound...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #5,256 of 23,532
@tgrosu

If the Symbios don't work for you, carefully remove the foam (start with the smallest sizes first) and pop them into the Spiral Dots. That's what I have on a few of my IEMs and it works great. Isolation and fit get better, sound is fuller with seemingly minor changes to FR

Play around with what you have and I'm sure you'll find a combo that works

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #5,257 of 23,532
For me, foam tips are the only type that worked with my U18. I too found the 64 Audio foam tips to be a tad small. I recommend trying Comply TX-500 (https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Cancelling-SoundPEATS-Symphonized-Replacement/dp/B002OOWBWK). The large size are a bit bigger than the stock 64 Audio. You can also try Symbio Mandarin wides, which are a hybrid foam/silicone tip that come in a bazillion sizes (http://symbioeartips.com/termek/symbio-w/). Personally, the Symbios weren't as isolating as the Comply tips, and they were also painful during longer sessions.

Absolutely agree, and also try Large ones just in case if they seal better for you. I tried both medium and large, and found large really made a perfect seal in my ears. One thing I notice is that after a while they lose the expanding properties, and you need to replace them. They are cheap and come in x3 pairs, so always good to have some new availables.

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #5,258 of 23,532
@tgrosu

If the Symbios don't work for you, carefully remove the foam (start with the smallest sizes first) and pop them into the Spiral Dots. That's what I have on a few of my IEMs and it works great. Isolation and fit get better, sound is fuller with seemingly minor changes to FR

Play around with what you have and I'm sure you'll find a combo that works

Thanks to both ngd3 and mcemce13. Interesting tweak you mention for the Symbios. Unfortunately, I don"t have them with me for a few more days, but I will definitely try your suggestion.

As regards the Complys, I have already ordered them and I will report back on the matching once they arrive. As an aside, since switching to the IE800 as the main pair more than a year ago, I have learned that the silicone tips are much more versatile, provided that you find your right size. I say that because they degrade much less than the foams and they don't alter the sound that much. But I am willing to give a try to the foams also, although to be honest, I don't see myself using them over the long term.

Next try would be the Westone Star silicone tips..

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #5,259 of 23,532
Thanks to both ngd3 and mcemce13. Interesting tweak you mention for the Symbios. Unfortunately, I don"t have them with me for a few more days, but I will definitely try your suggestion.

As regards the Complys, I have already ordered them and I will report back on the matching once they arrive. As an aside, since switching to the IE800 as the main pair more than a year ago, I have learned that the silicone tips are much more versatile, provided that you find your right size. I say that because they degrade much less than the foams and they don't alter the sound that much. But I am willing to give a try to the foams also, although to be honest, I don't see myself using them over the long term.

Have you considered the sony triple comfort tips? I've found that the sound is great with those. It has the nice deep seal of foam without that weird bass you sometimes get with complys. My only problem with them is that I seem to be in between sizes so the fit hasn't been perfect. I'm waiting for the z1r IEM as they will have more sizes available and I hope that the ML fits me perfectly as M is way too small and L is slightly too big to the point of having some discomfort with them. But the sound is amazing.

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #5,260 of 23,532
Have you considered the sony triple comfort tips? I've found that the sound is great with those. It has the nice deep seal of foam without that weird bass you sometimes get with complys. My only problem with them is that I seem to be in between sizes so the fit hasn't been perfect. I'm waiting for the z1r IEM as they will have more sizes available and I hope that the ML fits me perfectly as M is way too small and L is slightly too big to the point of having some discomfort with them. But the sound is amazing.

No, I didn't, but I will try to get a pair to test them. Much appreciated!

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #5,261 of 23,532
Anyone test driven the A4ts yet? Currency exchange shenanigans are screwing with my attempts to order an A6t atm.

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #5,263 of 23,532
Anyone test driven the A4ts yet? Currency exchange shenanigans are screwing with my attempts to order an A6t atm.

The A4t's aren't too different tonally from the A6t, but they're certainly muddier and less resolving. From my extremely brief audition months ago, I walked away from the A4t thinking they sounded pleasing enough in tone, but left much to be desired in imaging precision, transparency and resolution. They have the advantage of sounding open, clear and sufficiently warm relative to other similarly-priced in-ears, but they're definitely not on the level of the A6t in my opinion. I think the main cause is its bass. It's not necessarily bass-y per se, but a lack of control causes its decay to muddy up the midrange. There's a palpable lack of definition that made midrange-driven music difficult to enjoy. They'd probably be great for a first pair, but if this is your second or third IEM (let alone CIEM), I'd heavily recommend saving up for an A6t instead.

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #5,264 of 23,532

Westone/Shure tips on 64 Audio iems nozzle? Not gonna work.

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #5,265 of 23,532
test for u tmr

Excellent, looking forward to your thoughts on it.

The A4t's aren't too different tonally from the A6t, but they're certainly muddier and less resolving. From my extremely brief audition months ago, I walked away from the A4t thinking they sounded pleasing enough in tone, but left much to be desired in imaging precision, transparency and resolution. They have the advantage of sounding open, clear and sufficiently warm relative to other similarly-priced in-ears, but they're definitely not on the level of the A6t in my opinion. I think the main cause is its bass. It's not necessarily bass-y per se, but a lack of control causes its decay to muddy up the midrange. There's a palpable lack of definition that made midrange-driven music difficult to enjoy. They'd probably be great for a first pair, but if this is your second or third IEM (let alone CIEM), I'd heavily recommend saving up for an A6t instead.
I expected as much, I was thinking something along the lines of the Spartan IV in terms of sound due to the similar setup. I guess not eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back