The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 12, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #4,606 of 23,496
Hi everyone,

I am currently eyeing off the 64 Audio U8 which I have managed to find at a drastically reduced price, brand new. I have also been auditioning the Campfire Atlas and IE 800 S from Sennheiser. It is fair to say I am looking for a big low end presence with enough impact to satisfy my tastes in progressive trance, techno and UK bass; while also being good for other genres.

For now though my only source is an iPhone 7 Plus. Is this likely to be a deal breaker?

They fit snugly into my budget and I am coming from the Noble Audio Kaiser too.

Seems there isn’t, or wasn’t, much hype surrounding this particular model.

Could you save up for the legend x this black Friday

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #4,607 of 23,496
with The prices of some of these cables like the Janus which looks amazing, do you all feel the products are worth the cost?
These cables are extremely expensive and though I’ve had no problem spending on high end gear A18, SP1000 I have a hard time thinking about pulling the trigger on a 500 dollar cables let alone 1,400 cables. Just curious what you guys thoughts are about the return on the investment of these summit cables. Thx in advance.
With cables, I consider them extra frosting on the cake, not a new flavor of cake. It's the smallest degree of improvement in your overall chain of equipment. It seems to me that they create a greater "new product" frenzy than the overall return on investment may warrant. IMO

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #4,610 of 23,496
You don’t want to know what I’m using, borrowing from a friend, as current stand-ins after having to sell my Noble Kaiser due to being fleeced of over a grand in a recent real estate scam...

I’m of the feeling the U8 will be a good option having come from the Kaiser, especially as I appreciate good low end texture as well as impact.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #4,611 of 23,496
You don’t want to know what I’m using, borrowing from a friend, as current stand-ins after having to sell my Noble Kaiser due to being fleeced of over a grand in a recent real estate scam...

I’m of the feeling the U8 will be a good option having come from the Kaiser, especially as I appreciate good low end texture as well as impact.

If you getting a deal it just might be worth it

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #4,614 of 23,496

Mr. flinkenick posted it, here. or you might use the "search thread" feature to find many opinions on this thread as well.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #4,616 of 23,496
64audio where very kind to send me the new cable by FedEx international express and took care of the shipping back via fedex express as well for the other cable I had. The CS is top notch. They also offered me to get free fedex shipping for anything I buy soon to make up for the faulty cable. Shout out to Kalani
I have to agree with that. Top notch CS, they seem to be a small operation so sometimes patience is needed.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #4,617 of 23,496
Auditioning the CA Atlas now and there is too much bass impact and not nearly enough texture... For now I’m thinking the U8 will be a nice middle ground. It’s even cheaper than currently on special Sennheiser IE800S.

Any U8 owners out there who can give me an idea how it fares with electronic music?
I haven't had the U8 for a while, but in my opinion it works great for electronic music. There's a new version about to launch, but if you can obtain the U8 for a good price, id go for it. It's easy to drive and an Iphone will do fine as well.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #4,618 of 23,496
I seem to recall that the U8 was the most bass heavy of the U series. I know some folks thought it was too bass heavy.
Of course having the ability to use different modules will give you the opportunity to tune the sound. If the U8 you're looking for is an
old ADEL model that gives you even more flexibility.

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #4,620 of 23,496
@lotech I like the sound of that.

There’s a few things I like to throw at headphones when evaluating bass:
-Anything from the Global Trance Grooves, John 00 Fleming progressive school of trance,
-Dave Clarke’s Essential Mix recorded at the ADE 2015,
- The bass guitar in BB King’s “Why I Sing The Blues”,
- The orchestral bass drum in “The Great Plain” (Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells II),
- The best recording of thunder I can find, and
- Quite a bit more besides.

And here in lies the conundrum. I know DD IEMs are best at impact, and BAs are best for texture; knowing full well too my palate for bass covers the whole aspect ratio of bass, which means comprmise must be made somewhere.

The Noble Kaiser’s bass nearly drove me insane as it was so wonderfully textured, like a bowl of pho, but its impact fell somehow short (like a laksa without the texture of fish paste.

And speaking of a good pasting, that’s what the CA Atlas gave me in its bass impact, but without the texture behind it. (When testing it with all the above). The Sennheiser IE800S seemed to have more en pointe impact, with a touch more texture around it, than the Atlas. (I like the English barleywine sweetness of the Ie800S, unashamedly, but its faults in sound and design have glaringly obvious faults.)

Apologies, I’ve gone off on a tangent. If indeed the U8 has texture and a touch more punch than the Kaiser, let’s ‘ave it. :) I guess what I’ve written here is something someone else can bounce off of, especially since I cannot audition the U8 against the Kaiser, Atlas and the Sennheiser IE800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back