The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,291 of 23,417
For anyone who is interested, just popped some brief impressions of the U8 w/M20 module up on the other blog I write on - full review to follow in a few weeks hopefully.

As always, any comments/suggestions very much appreciated - TL;DR is that I was surprised how much I enjoyed the tuning, and that they definitely play well with higher impedance sources (step forward, Shanling M2S).

https://audioprimate.blog/2017/10/06/64-audio-unboxing-and-initial-impressions/
Nice first impressions. You need to listen to the M15 modules, by far an improvement and these sound more balanced, have a wider stage, and a little more clarity. But I agree that these are mislabeled as basshead only and don't get the credit they deserve.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,292 of 23,417
Nice first impressions. You need to listen to the M15 modules, by far an improvement and these sound more balanced, have a wider stage, and a little more clarity. But I agree that these are mislabeled as basshead only and don't get the credit they deserve.

I agree completely. I didnt get to listen to the 15s just the 20s but for the price and sound if I were going to get the 64s it would have been the A8. They were my favorite goto, and I went back and listened to the 8and 12 at least 4 times over the weekend. I really liked the 12 as well, but for the 600.00 price difference I couldnt tell that much difference. And I actually liked the slightly more bass of the 8s.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,293 of 23,417
Nice! Looking forward to the full review! I had a really good time with @ostewart's U6 recently, especially when I used the M15 and paired them with his Eros II (been borrowing all his stuff to get a chance at writing more reviews and he is such a great guy that he let me! :D ).

What cable do you have connected in the pictures, your Leonidas? My guess is that might just be a very nice pairing. :D

@Wyville - yes, that is the Leonidas, and yes it does pair well. Not a night and day difference (the is a far bigger positive sonic shift with a higher impedance source), but ergonomically it fits very well.

Would love to try the M15 at some point, but didn't have the cash to buy them at the same time I bought the U8 and it's about $50 in shipping plus the $100 cost of the plug to get them shipped from 64. Will hopefully get to hear the combo at some point!

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #1,294 of 23,417
I just want to add, it's not necessary which one is better, M15 or M20, but rather which one pairs up better with a specific 64 Audio model sound sig per your own personal preference. The difference in seal/isolation, 15dB vs 20dB, will also affect the impact of the bass and the sparkle in treble. For example, the difference in U18 was quite pronounced.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #1,295 of 23,417
I just want to add, it's not necessary which one is better, M15 or M20, but rather which one pairs up better with a specific 64 Audio model sound sig per your own personal preference. The difference in seal/isolation, 15dB vs 20dB, will also affect the impact of the bass and the sparkle in treble. For example, the difference in U18 was quite pronounced.
Yes, you're right. When I had the U18 demo, I preferred the M20.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,296 of 23,417
I think the Y will have less driver count that the Fourte. Y with 2 Driver. It might possibly a baby version of the fourte which brings the entering point lower.
X with 14 driver

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #1,297 of 23,417
Got to stop by the @64Audio booth at RMAF and came away impressed by the U18 Tzar and the Tia Fourte. Got to listen to the mystery X and Y units too. They are both nice but I heard more powerful bass from the X and much better mid frequency/clarity performance from the Y. I really like the bass of the Y, it's tight and well-controlled and non-fatiguing.

My guess:

X: 14 drivers
Y: 3 drivers

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #1,298 of 23,417
@Wyville - yes, that is the Leonidas, and yes it does pair well. Not a night and day difference (the is a far bigger positive sonic shift with a higher impedance source), but ergonomically it fits very well.

Would love to try the M15 at some point, but didn't have the cash to buy them at the same time I bought the U8 and it's about $50 in shipping plus the $100 cost of the plug to get them shipped from 64. Will hopefully get to hear the combo at some point!
With the U6 I felt the M15 worked really well to balance the signature, but as I explained in my review, it did come at the cost of some of the warmth and intimacy the U6 had with the M20. I really quite liked the M20 with smooth vocal jazz such as Madeleine Peyroux, but I mostly listen to classical music and there the M15 offers a lot of advantages.

Same for the cable as well. Eros II works really well for those who want a balanced signature with a slight lift in the treble, great mid-range clarity, especially for vocals, and a tight and articulate bass. That worked really well for classical music, although I felt it worked well for every bit of music I listened to, but I can imagine that some people might like to keep the signature a bit darker. In any case, I thought the U6 were very versatile and responded well to changes of the APEX module and cable. Well worth a try when there is an opportunity!

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #1,299 of 23,417
Got my babies back from @Wyville :D

IMG_20171010_094127-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back