The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 11, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #12,586 of 23,528
Agreed. Great entry level iems. I listen at moderate volumes and usually no longer than 1 hour at a time. With iems. Longer with over-ears.
My longest session with Nio so far has been about 5 hours. Not sure what dB level, but I'd say probably between 80-85dB.

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #12,587 of 23,528
I measured the level at which I listen with an app on my iphone, stuck inside one of the earcups. I measured 60-70 dB. With iems I listen to what feels like a comparable volume level, but since the noise is produced inside your ear, I am not sure this would also be the same dB level.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #12,588 of 23,528
Hey guys, I just picked up some u12ts and I'm very happy with them. Only problem is, my oppo ha2se has a failing micro usb port again (sigh). I was looking for an upgrade, either a dap or a portable dac amp combo that can fit into my pocket with my phone for on the go listening for under 500, used or new. Recommendations welcome, thanks!

Cayin N3 Pro.
Monster output.
Both tube and solid state amps.

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #12,591 of 23,528
Cayin N3 Pro.
Monster output.
Both tube and solid state amps.

Are you sure n3 pro has tubes? I think its only solide state...

Its the small baby cayin hehe

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #12,592 of 23,528
Are you sure n3 pro has tubes? I think its only solide state...

Its the small baby cayin hehe
It has tubes, switchable between them and solid state on the 3.5 output.

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #12,594 of 23,528
It has tubes, switchable between them and solid state on the 3.5 output.

Damn cayin is cannibalizing their poor n8. No one will buy it when you have a small sibling like this for way cheaper...

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #12,595 of 23,528
As for custom vs universal, while I share your frustration with tips and tip rolling, I've been able to get very consistent fit (and sound) once I narrowed down my optimal tip for each IEM (currently Xelastec with Nio). I've never used a custom before, but one thing that puts me off is the deep insertion of a custom. I hate anything going inside my ear canals, and the Xelastec tips stop just at the entrance to my canals, which to me is the most comfortable solution. Any deeper and I'm always fussing with them and feeling the pressure of the tip inside my ear.

One day I'll get to try customs, but unless it's done the way Campfire does it with their shallow fit Andromeda custom option, I can almost guarantee it won't be for me.

Just my alternate perspectives. Good chat.
On top of that I wouldn't really consider any brand that doesn't have some sort of pressure valve system like the APEX, just because the isolation is so much I wouldn't like to imagine what that can do to the ears with repeated listening. When I was trying IEMs to decide on a brand I felt all the other universals felt just as boxed-in as my IE-8 whereas 64audio IEMs felt like someone put the mute on everything around me, but (almost) no real pressure was felt in the ears. Just my two cents.
In response to the other posts about CIEM insertion, @MeggaMortY makes excellent points above about the benefits of 64Audio’s Apex technology in releasing pressure and reducing fatigue. In addition, the insertion of a 64Audio CIEM is not especially “deep” relative to other manufacturers or universal monitors like those from Etymōtic. In fact, for many people with smaller canals or differences between their left/right ear shape, shallow insertion monitors like the Campfire Andromeda or Shure KSE1500 have poor fit or fall out with moderate body movement. In my experience, 64Audio CIEMs ensure a comfortable/secure fit and I can listen for much longer than with a universal.

If you’re undecided about custom monitors, begin by ordering a pair of 64Audio ear plugs to test— thats a much more pragmatic and wise approach than ordering an expensive universal IEM and praying the silicone and foam sleeves will deliver the right fit, isolation, and sound.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #12,597 of 23,528
In response to the other posts about CIEM insertion, @MeggaMortY makes excellent points above about the benefits of 64Audio’s Apex technology in releasing pressure and reducing fatigue. In addition, the insertion of a 64Audio CIEM is not especially “deep” relative to other manufacturers or universal monitors like those from Etymōtic. In fact, for many people with smaller canals or differences between their left/right ear shape, shallow insertion monitors like the Campfire Andromeda or Shure KSE1500 have poor fit or fall out with moderate body movement. In my experience, 64Audio CIEMs ensure a comfortable/secure fit and I can listen for much longer than with a universal.

If you’re undecided about custom monitors, begin by ordering a pair of 64Audio ear plugs to test— thats a much more pragmatic and wise approach than ordering an expensive universal IEM and praying the silicone and foam sleeves will deliver the right fit, isolation, and sound.
One trick my new audiologist (and god I wish I had gone to them first) is to point the canal straight down so the sound bore would be level if you put it on a flat surface, and then do the twist to insert if that makes sense. Get a decent seal every time with that.

Would love to try the apex technology but at my budget the highest I could go would be a3e and that rarely gets talked about.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #12,598 of 23,528
Hi there,

My trio just arrived.
I just had a few hours with them and I'm overjoyed.

It's a great addition to my fourte Noir.
It's a little more flat and medium centered.
It's also a little less fatiguing, while maintaining good highs.
It's got less details but that's still top of the class.
I think classical music and live recordings are at their best with the trio.

Ps: it was coupled with an AK sp1000m and an Effect Audio Horus 8 for my listening session.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #12,599 of 23,528

Just one example of how good customs can be - I was outside with the bike to do some quick shopping. A total of 1.5 hours riding the bike, visiting shops (putting mask on, mask off face), wearing a helmet (e.g. helmet straps both in front and back near my ears), "talking to personnel" with the limited sound I could hear lol, drinking a bubble tea (and eating the bobba and aloe vera jellies in it) and doing random tricks with my bike along the way, not a single time had I have the need to adjust the already perfect seal I had when I left home. The only time I readjusted the IEMs was when I took the helmet off back at home, and it didn't really improve the sound, rather it is just me still being a bit panicky after fiddling with the helmet straps around my ears so much. 10/10 experience

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #12,600 of 23,528
Just one example of how good customs can be - I was outside with the bike to do some quick shopping. A total of 1.5 hours riding the bike, visiting shops (putting mask on, mask off face), wearing a helmet (e.g. helmet straps both in front and back near my ears), "talking to personnel" with the limited sound I could hear lol, drinking a bubble tea (and eating the bobba and aloe vera jellies in it) and doing random tricks with my bike along the way, not a single time had I have the need to adjust the already perfect seal I had when I left home. The only time I readjusted the IEMs was when I took the helmet off back at home, and it didn't really improve the sound, rather it is just me still being a bit panicky after fiddling with the helmet straps around my ears so much. 10/10 experience

It's funny you mention masks and CIEMs, because it's something I've been struggling with since my church reopened a few weeks ago (with all the social distancing, mask-wearing and disinfecting policies firmly in place, I must add). I've found that some masks can have straps that are tight enough that they start to "push" the CIEMs out of my ears. So, one of my criteria now when picking a mask to wear is to see whether or not it also fits the CIEMs I tend to use whilst mixing. :D I should note, though, that the A18s is the only that's worked with every mask I've tried, so kudos to 64 for that achievement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back