The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 14, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #8,266 of 23,496
Wouldn't that be hard to justify the price compared to N8? Same question would go to Fourte Custom. (Just brainstorming)

The uni Trio and N8 sound different. The custom N8 and (hypothetical) custom Trio might blur those divisions, but that’s left to be seen.

Nov 14, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #8,267 of 23,496
Wouldn't that be hard to justify the price compared to N8? Same question would go to Fourte Custom. (Just brainstorming)

Trio is higher priced than N8, because it takes longer to build. 64 Audio can build more IEMs than Trios or Fourtes in the same amount of time.

Nov 14, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #8,268 of 23,496
Trio is higher priced than N8, because it takes longer to build. 64 Audio can build more IEMs than Trios or Fourtes in the same amount of time.

I don't believe so. The N8 requires impression-trimming, shell-printing, shell-buffing, then tuning the DD based on the client's ear canal volume, etc. I reckon it's easier to keep Trio's in stock than it is to make a N8 in 4-6 weeks. The Trio is more expensive mostly because of its fully-tia design. Like the Fourté, there isn't a sound tube in it at all, which is what gives it its pristine delivery. So, it comes down to tech and R&D. And, it's also the reason why - apart from the inherent tuning choices 64 Audio have made for each IEM - the Trio and N8 sound completely different from each other. I'm a bit puzzled as to why people would assume they'd sound similar in custom form, seeing how they're from two entirely different line-ups with basically zero qualities in common; apart from the fact that they house both DDs and BAs, but so does the Fourté in that regard.

Nov 14, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #8,269 of 23,496
I don't believe so. The N8 requires impression-trimming, shell-printing, shell-buffing, then tuning the DD based on the client's ear canal volume, etc. I reckon it's easier to keep Trio's in stock than it is to make a N8 in 4-6 weeks. The Trio is more expensive mostly because of its fully-tia design. Like the Fourté, there isn't a sound tube in it at all, which is what gives it its pristine delivery. So, it comes down to tech and R&D. And, it's also the reason why - apart from the inherent tuning choices 64 Audio have made for each IEM - the Trio and N8 sound completely different from each other. I'm a bit puzzled as to why people would assume they'd sound similar in custom form, seeing how they're from two entirely different line-ups with basically zero qualities in common; apart from the fact that they house both DDs and BAs, but so does the Fourté in that regard.

I think I remember the CEO of 64 Audio said they can build X amount of IEMs for each Fourte. I used X, because I don’t remember the exact number.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #8,270 of 23,496
Yesterday I went to the big headphone store in Osaka to audition new iems. I want something to pair with the A18t, something with a little more punch/engagement. Fourte Noir would be perfect but now I’m addicted to customs.

One thing I realized was that I don’t like the new wave of hybrids. Listened to Elysium, Khan, and Canary, and while they sounded good on some abstract level I just didn’t enjoy them. Using different technologies to make different parts of the sound spectrum just results in a disjointed sound, I think. I came away with a new appreciation for the coherence and artistry of my 18s!

I wonder if 64 is going to come out with a hybrid design. Part of me is curious to see what they’d come up with, but part of me hopes they resist the trend. Just say no to piezo tweeters! :)

FYI, I was wowed by the VE8. Very fun and smooth and coherent.

Edit: I should probably say “emotive” instead of “fun,” which makes it sound shallow or trivial. The VE8 is more emotive, while the A18 is more transparent, ethereal.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #8,271 of 23,496
I agree. Didn't even thought about thrm being similar sound, but how to justify the extra costs on a custom. And, the reason for them to be so much more expensive would be the drivers match and tubless design tunining. The chamber size and driver position can be "easier" to control on an UN, but can be a big pain on a Custom. Justifiable to no make custom.

Aside from that, what you guys think would justify pay 2x more for 2x less drivers?

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #8,272 of 23,496
One thing I realized was that I don’t like the new wave of hybrids. Listened to Elysium, Khan, and Canary, and while they sounded good on some abstract level I just didn’t enjoy them. Using different technologies to make different parts of the sound spectrum just results in a disjointed sound, I think. I came away with a new appreciation for the coherence and artistry of my 18s!

I'm looking forward to hearing the VE8 and Elysium...I'll have them soon enough from the head-fi tour. I have yet to hear any estats in an iem, but i'm generally with you on the "disjointed" nature of using different kinds of drivers to recreate a uniform, cohesive sound.

Have you heard the Legend X?

It's my second favorite IEM afer the A18, and I believe its sound sig is one of the best possible complements to the signature of the A18...

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #8,273 of 23,496
Yesterday I went to the big headphone store in Osaka to audition new iems. I want something to pair with the A18t, something with a little more punch/engagement. Fourte Noir would be perfect but now I’m addicted to customs.

I wonder if 64 is going to come out with a hybrid design. Part of me is curious to see what they’d come up with, but part of me hopes they resist the trend. Just say no to piezo tweeters! :)

FYI, I was wowed by the VE8. Very fun and smooth and coherent.

Edit: I should probably say “emotive” instead of “fun,” which makes it sound shallow or trivial. The VE8 is more emotive, while the A18 is more transparent, ethereal.

The N8, Fourté and Trio are all hybrids. They all have a mix of DDs and BAs in them.

I agree. Didn't even thought about thrm being similar sound, but how to justify the extra costs on a custom. And, the reason for them to be so much more expensive would be the drivers match and tubless design tunining. The chamber size and driver position can be "easier" to control on an UN, but can be a big pain on a Custom. Justifiable to no make custom.

Aside from that, what you guys think would justify pay 2x more for 2x less drivers?

I understand the limitations and difficulties 64 would have to face if they ever did figure out a way to make custom Trio's and Fourté's in terms of acoustics and unit variation, and this is all completely hypothetical, of course. I just don't understand why the N8 is being used as a reference. I mean, they're both hybrids, but they're using completely different technologies. It's like saying, "How would 64 justify pricing the Fourté almost twice as much as the U12t with 1/3 of the drivers?" Obviously, they're worlds apart tech-wise, and you have the countless hours of R&D to account for and the extra performance that tia gives you as well. And, even more obviously, whether or not that jump in performance would be considered worth it is entirely up to the individual.

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #8,276 of 23,496
Alright, I’m officially hostage to the 64 house sound. :wink:

Today I went to audition a ton of different customs; spent like 3 hours trying many different ones. The goal was to find one I liked enough I could sell my Noirs for. And...I failed. No matter what I listened to, the Noirs just beat them all.

I liked the VE8 best, but even that wasn’t quite good enough. I spent a long time trying to convince myself I’d be happy with it instead of the Noir. But, even though it is really fantastic, I finally gave up. Just not worth sacrificing that magic for a custom over universal. So now I’m happy with my A18s and my Noirs.

I think in the end, it comes down to treble and soundstage. Estat treble sounds fake/disjointed/sharp to my ears, and the treble on the VE8s, while incredible (one reviewer said it had the best treble of any iem he’d tried), was ultimately too closed or congested compared to the Noir for my taste.

I don’t know if it’s the Tia and the fact that it’s “open,” or even really what that *means* in a concrete sense, but the open, airy, natural treble of the 64 sound utterly prevented me from switching.

(I did end up buying some JVC sound dots, which have improved the fit, so all is good.)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #8,277 of 23,496
Alright, I’m officially hostage to the 64 house sound. :wink:

Today I went to audition a ton of different customs; spent like 3 hours trying many different ones. The goal was to find one I liked enough I could sell my Noirs for. And...I failed. No matter what I listened to, the Noirs just beat them all.

I liked the VE8 best, but even that wasn’t quite good enough. Finally I gave up, and realized I wasn’t going to sacrifice that much sound quality just for a custom. So now I’m happy with my A18s and my Noirs.

I think in the end, it comes down to treble and soundstage. Estat treble sounds fake/disjointed/sharp to my ears, and the treble on the VE8s, while incredible (one reviewer said it had the best treble of any iem he’d tried), was ultimately too closed or congested compared to the Noir for my taste. I don’t know if it’s the Tia and the fact that it’s “open,” or even really what that means in a concrete sense, but the open, airy, natural treble of the 64 sound utterly prevented me from switching.

(I did end up buying some JVC sound dots, which have improved the fit, so all is good.)
Woop woop I'm glad you didn't sell your Noir in the end, it's an incredible IEM - the VE8 is incredible, but doesn't (IMHO) reach the level of the Noir in any of the frequencies, or technicalities

I am receiving my Noir and A18t from repair T O D A Y, and I'm so hyped - will share photos :)

I've missed the two of them dearly in the time they've been gone, especially the Noir

That being said, in the correct implementation, estat treble can sound absolutely heavenly, but the market is proving that it's pretty difficult to get right so far - very few IEMs of the ones I tried manage to do a good job - but once they do, it usually sounds amazing

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #8,278 of 23,496
@zachawry have you heard the LX?

Curious what you think about that one if you have listened to it.

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #8,280 of 23,496
Don't say sorry to me!

I think you may like them, which is why I'm suggesting you listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back