The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #5,461 of 23,527
Received my A18 yesterday. Good LORD these things are incredible...literally cannot find a single fault in the sound signature or with anything really.

Thanks to 64 Audio and HF I got to hear the U12t and Trio on the recent tour. And thanks to the demo opportunity from 64 Audio, I got to hear the Fourte and U18t...decided to go with the A18. I will say that the Fourte are quite interesting and do portray sound like a 2-channel system...very unique. It will be interesting to hear how 64 Audio further advances this "audio chamber" technology in future models.

Pleasantly surprised to find that the one main issue I had with the U18 (which didn't keep me from loving the U18 anyway) is completely resolved on the A18: there is an overall warmer response that improves the timbre and tonality of instruments vs. my experience on the U18. On the universal I found instruments to sound just a bit less rich and realistic than my preference.

Fit is simply the best I've ever had in an IEM, and the overall craftsmanship and zebra wood is simply flawless.

Want to give a shoutout to Brittany and Eddie and the whole 64 Audio team...customer service of this company is as good as everyone always says. It is truly a pleasure dealing with 64.

Also want to give a shoutout to Dr. Servedio from Domenick Servedio Audiology...if anyone wants a reliable and professional place to take impressions in NYC, give this man a call. He is also one of 64 Audio's preferred audiologists, so you cannot go wrong.

64 is truly one of the top companies in the IEM market right now; simply amazing products and service.

Congrats buddy, would like to hear about your impressions on them soon. Mines still in the making but should be in my hands very soon , I bet you were very excited once you got them haha :ksc75smile:

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #5,462 of 23,527
Congrats buddy, would like to hear about your impressions on them soon. Mines still in the making but should be in my hands very soon , I bet you were very excited once you got them haha :ksc75smile:

Thanks, man. Get excited...get very excited.

I recently posted a review of the U18 here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/64-audio-u18-tzar.22420/

At some point I will try to find a way to layer on additional impressions vs. the custom version.

Another difference I am noticing on the A18 vs. the U18 is a dramatic improvement to the spatial and positioning abilities of the custom. The prowess of the A18 to place instruments on stage is very impressive, and is much more striking vs. my experience on the U18.

My guess is this is due to the the custom's significant increase in isolation and the sound bore's deeper setting within the ear vs. the universal.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #5,463 of 23,527
Received my A18 yesterday. Good LORD these things are incredible...literally cannot find a single fault in the sound signature or with anything really.

Thanks to 64 Audio and HF I got to hear the U12t and Trio on the recent tour. And thanks to the demo opportunity from 64 Audio, I got to hear the Fourte and U18t...decided to go with the A18. I will say that the Fourte are quite interesting and do portray sound like a 2-channel system...very unique. It will be interesting to hear how 64 Audio further advances this "audio chamber" technology in future models.

Pleasantly surprised to find that the one main issue I had with the U18 (which didn't keep me from loving the U18 anyway) is completely resolved on the A18: there is an overall warmer response that improves the timbre and tonality of instruments vs. my experience on the U18. On the universal I found instruments to sound just a bit less rich and realistic than my preference.

Fit is simply the best I've ever had in an IEM, and the overall craftsmanship and zebra wood is simply flawless.

Want to give a shoutout to Brittany and Eddie and the whole 64 Audio team...customer service of this company is as good as everyone always says. It is truly a pleasure dealing with 64.

Also want to give a shoutout to Dr. Servedio from Dominick Servedio Audiology...if anyone wants a reliable and professional place to take impressions in NYC, give this man a call. He is also one of 64 Audio's preferred audiologists, so you cannot go wrong.

64 is truly one of the top companies in the IEM market right now; simply amazing products and service.
Congratulations on a wonderful purchase, you made a great choice. The custom version makes all the difference in the world to me in bringing that final 10 percent in performance. However, now you may be in trouble with your pocketbook when you hear how the A18 scales with the PWAudio cables when you get that tour kit. I particularly loved the 1960 with the 18, wow. The 18 scales like no other.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #5,464 of 23,527
Congratulations on a wonderful purchase, you made a great choice. The custom version makes all the difference in the world to me in bringing that final 10 percent in performance.,,,,,,,,s,df,sdfsdjfjsdf,,,sd,f,s,df,sd,f,sd,f,sd,f......................

Sorry Barra...but you're breaking up...

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #5,465 of 23,527
Congrats @toaster22. Welcome to the A18 club.

As @Barra says, 1960 cable is an excellent pairing with A18. I've the 2 wire version. It brings the best out of A18. So much so that, I don't use Leonidas anymore and have listed it for sale here.

The sources
Dx200Ti + Amp8
Wm1z with K-mod

I can't take the A18 off of my ears. The more I listen, the more I like it. Paired with top source, A18 will scale that well.

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #5,466 of 23,527
I've had my N8 for about 6 weeks now. It is amazing. I have a/b'd it with my full sized headphones and honestly prefer its tonality and freq response to all of them. It doesnt even give up much in soundtage either thanks to apex (you can even take the apex module completely out for situations where isolation isn't needed. This opens the soundtage slightly more in a subtle way). The n8 plays beautifully straight from my LG V30. I do a 90-120 minute workout with my n8 everyday and it is unphased aside from the shirt clip spring becoming rusted. Cable microphonics are incredibly low to non existent with the shirt clip and over ear memory wire. Running? Jumping? No problem.

vs. HD800

Compared to my hd800 the n8 has such a more satisfying low end but matches the hd800 in terms of clarity without the punishing harshness. The N8 is smooth yet at the same time clear, with a nice plump low end to rest on. The 800 is of course hard and clinical with a flat bottom. Yes, soundstage is more intimate, but a small price to pay for something that fits in your pocket and gives 20 dB isolation. I will summarize this comparison by saying the N8 has monstrous, yet tasteful bass, especially when compared to hd800, with the main difference otherwise being the hd800's wider soundstage. The mids also sound slightly fuller/meatier on the N8.

vs. HD650

The N8 tonal signature to me is somewhat hd650-like, except with gobs more sub bass, more clarity, less grain, better in almost ever way. The N8 is less honky than hd650, soundtage is about the same, maybe even slightly wider on the N8, with more detail as a result of the N8's increased clarity. With that said, on recordings without much sub 80 hz content, these can sound remarkably similar, except for the clarity advantage of the N8.

vs. Ether Flow Open

Compared to Ether Flow the n8's midrange clarity and timbre is superior. The n8's treble is smoother. There is slightly less midbass impact and more subbass rumble on the n8. Soundtage is wider on N8 vs. more distant, narrow on EFO. Voices and guitars come through with a clarity not possible on the EFO. The N8 sounds less v shaped than EFO.

-----------------------------

As much as I use the n8 for air travel and exercise it's easy to forget what fine instruments they really are until I sit down and a/b them against my full sized cans. Needless to say they absolutely slay every other iem I own including Vega, periodic Be, Etymotic ER-4. Those sound grainy, muddy, unnatural and odd now, not to mention uncomfortable. The quality of the 64 earmolds are fantastic. I can't go back to universals. I have one other ciem as well and the 64 product is superior.

I'm very tempted to sell everything except the n8. I'm asking myself if I even need my speakers either.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #5,467 of 23,527
@RollsDownWindowsManually Thanks for your impressions, not enough of those on the N8, it's the one that I am interested in from 64 audio. I have been underwhelmed by the LegendX audition and I see a good hybrid in my future :)

Yeah once you've gone custom it's hard playing with tips again and loosing the amazing isolation :p
I had said same as you, but wanted to try out a planar closed back IEM - no alternatives in custom - so I got RHA CL2 nonetheless, never say never :wink:

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #5,468 of 23,527
Congratulations on a wonderful purchase, you made a great choice. The custom version makes all the difference in the world to me in bringing that final 10 percent in performance. However, now you may be in trouble with your pocketbook when you hear how the A18 scales with the PWAudio cables when you get that tour kit. I particularly loved the 1960 with the 18, wow. The 18 scales like no other.

I think you need to add the chord M-Scaler too. :wink:

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #5,469 of 23,527
I've had my N8 for about 6 weeks now. It is amazing. I have a/b'd it with my full sized headphones and honestly prefer its tonality and freq response to all of them. It doesnt even give up much in soundtage either thanks to apex (you can even take the apex module completely out for situations where isolation isn't needed. This opens the soundtage slightly more in a subtle way). The n8 plays beautifully straight from my LG V30. I do a 90-120 minute workout with my n8 everyday and it is unphased aside from the shirt clip spring becoming rusted. Cable microphonics are incredibly low to non existent with the shirt clip and over ear memory wire. Running? Jumping? No problem.

vs. HD800

Compared to my hd800 the n8 has such a more satisfying low end but matches the hd800 in terms of clarity without the punishing harshness. The N8 is smooth yet at the same time clear, with a nice plump low end to rest on. The 800 is of course hard and clinical with a flat bottom. Yes, soundstage is more intimate, but a small price to pay for something that fits in your pocket and gives 20 dB isolation. I will summarize this comparison by saying the N8 has monstrous, yet tasteful bass, especially when compared to hd800, with the main difference otherwise being the hd800's wider soundstage. The mids also sound slightly fuller/meatier on the N8.

vs. HD650

The N8 tonal signature to me is somewhat hd650-like, except with gobs more sub bass, more clarity, less grain, better in almost ever way. The N8 is less honky than hd650, soundtage is about the same, maybe even slightly wider on the N8, with more detail as a result of the N8's increased clarity. With that said, on recordings without much sub 80 hz content, these can sound remarkably similar, except for the clarity advantage of the N8.

vs. Ether Flow Open

Compared to Ether Flow the n8's midrange clarity and timbre is superior. The n8's treble is smoother. There is slightly less midbass impact and more subbass rumble on the n8. Soundtage is wider on N8 vs. more distant, narrow on EFO. Voices and guitars come through with a clarity not possible on the EFO. The N8 sounds less v shaped than EFO.

-----------------------------

As much as I use the n8 for air travel and exercise it's easy to forget what fine instruments they really are until I sit down and a/b them against my full sized cans. Needless to say they absolutely slay every other iem I own including Vega, periodic Be, Etymotic ER-4. Those sound grainy, muddy, unnatural and odd now, not to mention uncomfortable. The quality of the 64 earmolds are fantastic. I can't go back to universals. I have one other ciem as well and the 64 product is superior.

I'm very tempted to sell everything except the n8. I'm asking myself if I even need my speakers either.

Are you worried about sweat damage to the N8? I typically use beater earbuds at the gym because I'm worried about sweat.

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #5,470 of 23,527
Yes, the tia drivers might be especially susceptible to sweat/dirt, but on the other hand 64audio serves professional musicians... stage monitoring is a very sweat prone environment. So I'd expect their in-ears can handle that.
Still I'd also choose cheaper models for sports though

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #5,471 of 23,527
I was listening to empire of the clouds by iron maiden on youtube & tidal using the u18 tzar and I can hear some distortion in the right ear in the first 20 seconds, tried it through my macbook and iPhone with two different cables. Is my right ear failing or is something wrong with recording?

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #5,474 of 23,527
Are you worried about sweat damage to the N8? I typically use beater earbuds at the gym because I'm worried about sweat.

Nah. I use a jodi vac and a dehumidifier when I'm not traveling though.

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #5,475 of 23,527
I was listening to empire of the clouds by iron maiden on youtube & tidal using the u18 tzar and I can hear some distortion in the right ear in the first 20 seconds, tried it through my macbook and iPhone with two different cables. Is my right ear failing or is something wrong with recording?

Hey there! If it is only when playing that particular song then it very well could be something with the recording. If it turns out that is is not just that song, we recommend you submit a repair request so we can get those fixed for you!

Here is a link to submit a repair request: https://www.64audio.com/service/product

As always feel free to reach out to support@64audio.com with any questions!

Thanks for being a part of the 64 Audio Family!

Last edited:
64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back