The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 10, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #18,916 of 23,521
I'd say there is a risk of damaging the inner parts if youre trying to remove an o-ring and scratch something, lets say.

But overall I just count this as a sort of modification and thus 64audio can deny warranty.

In the grand scheme of things I personally find it as a low risk procedure.

By the way, in case you're curious, I use a combination of flat metal o-rings and a rubber one, since that allows combining different thicknesses resulting in various insertion depths you can try to get the best (of the available) resulting sound.

One last side note, since I was so obsessed with getting the same distance on each module, (prior to coming up with the oring idea) I must have taken them out and in a bit too many times to the point where the rubber gaskets were sliding a bit too lightly for my taste. What I tried was swapping them for fresh new ones (from my unused m15) and also adding the tiniest amount of tape underneath the gasket, to increase their diameter so to speak. Now they fit very snugly and I remember the bass became more punchy and present.

Cheers
A lot of good information here, mate. I know I'll try backing the modules out a bit to check out the differences, and who knows where this will go. Cheers.

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #18,918 of 23,521
I think backing the Apex modules out of my Trio would void any warranty remaining.

Nov 10, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #18,919 of 23,521
I'd say there is a risk of damaging the inner parts if youre trying to remove an o-ring and scratch something, lets say.

But overall I just count this as a sort of modification and thus 64audio can deny warranty.

In the grand scheme of things I personally find it as a low risk procedure.

By the way, in case you're curious, I use a combination of flat metal o-rings and a rubber one, since that allows combining different thicknesses resulting in various insertion depths you can try to get the best (of the available) resulting sound.

One last side note, since I was so obsessed with getting the same distance on each module, (prior to coming up with the oring idea) I must have taken them out and in a bit too many times to the point where the rubber gaskets were sliding a bit too lightly for my taste. What I tried was swapping them for fresh new ones (from my unused m15) and also adding the tiniest amount of tape underneath the gasket, to increase their diameter so to speak. Now they fit very snugly and I remember the bass became more punchy and present.

Cheers
So what exactly is the difference you're experiencing? Further out adds/removes bass? Increases/decreases soundstage? Something else??

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #18,920 of 23,521
I'm sure this has been said many times here but the U6t is so addictive. The sound is energetic and engaging while having a tuning that's broadly inline with the U12t.

If I didn't know there was 6BAs less than the U12t I'd probably not be able to tell...

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #18,921 of 23,521
I'm sure this has been said many times here but the U6t is so addictive. The sound is energetic and engaging while having a tuning that's broadly inline with the U12t.

If I didn't know there was 6bas less than the U12t I'd probably not be able to tell...
You raise an interesting point, which will no doubt show my hilarious lack of any scientific understanding of how these things work : if you are going to use 12 x BA drivers in your IEM (or any number or combination of BA and DD for that matter), why not just create one single mothership of a driver to do the same job?

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #18,922 of 23,521
You raise an interesting point, which will no doubt show my hilarious lack of any scientific understanding of how these things work : if you are going to use 12 x BA drivers in your IEM (or any number or combination of BA and DD for that matter), why not just create one single mothership of a driver to do the same job?
See loudspeakers for the answer to that question. How many full range single driver loudspeakers are there? And note that they've had a good forty years on headphones and nearly seventy on earphones....

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #18,923 of 23,521
Some "first day" Duo impressions. Spoiler: I think they're my new bae.

"I’ve had the Duos in my ears for a few hours now and can offer a few preliminary thoughts as I wait for my takeout sushi order. In a nutshell, these are AWESOME…definitely the most enjoyable 64 IEM by my tastes that I’ve heard and one that I’m sure will sit comfortably within my top 10 when all the dust settles…maybe even too 5. They have that wonderful immersion & in your face engagement factor that I love about CFA IEMs but with a good dose of 64’s technical polish, balance and sonic refinement. It’s a great blending of both those worlds and I suspect devotees of both companies will find a lot to love here. Bass is present, subtly dominant, but doesn’t steal the show, mids are bodied, and natural with a nice analogue character and lastly the highs are sparkling and sweet but never overwhelming. The sense of balance and coherence is stellar. Everything stands out and yet nothing does. On the whole I’m thoroughly impressed right now and can’t wait to run more of my library through them. Will post more later.

===

The Duo are remarkable IEMs. I've been thinking of this a lot the last couple hours but I think their most remarkable quality is their impeccable balance of so many factors into a highly agreeable, addictive even, transparent, technical yet robust and engaging sound. I could see this IEM emerging as my #1 general rec across the board. I think of many of my favorite IEMs and the deal breakers some have had with them and the Duo is something I could see myself reccing in each case. Like the Solaris but wish for more bass impact and even keeled mids? Try the Duo. Like the Z1R but yearn for more meat on the mid-bass & lower mids? Try the Duo. Like the Andromeda and its technical yet playful and fun sound but wish for better bass and the same kind of balance? Try the Duo. Like the Dorado but wish it was better behaved with a more even keeled mid-range and less spiciness in the highs? Try the Duo. Like the transparent balance & technical skill of the u12t but wish for meat on the mids and a more emotionally evocative sound on the whole? Try the Duo. The list goes on and on...it's true that in each cases there are some sacrifices-- the Duo does not stand out for besting every IEM at its own game-- it doesn't have the near complete transparency of the u12t, the peerless subbass & treble of the IER Z1R, the holographic staging of the Solaris, the addictively primordial subterranean swagger of the Dorado, the intimate tenderness of the Isabellae etc.-- but but what it does is somehow provide just enough of all these things while absolutely mastering certain fundamentals, adding a dash of its own secret sauce and doing seemingly doing absolutely nothing really wrong. It does enough of the best of many of my favorite IEMs while never falling prey to any of their shortcomings. Alongside the Oriolus Isabellae it is presently the towering release of 2021 for me."

D1B52C69-235F-435B-8DDA-3A016B646BA9.JPEG

Nov 11, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #18,924 of 23,521
Nov 11, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #18,925 of 23,521

If I didn't know there was 6bas less than the U12t I'd probably not be able to tell...

I've just got the mX modules for my A6t - that I have been using for a few years now with M15 modules - yes the 6's are just superb and hit that sweet spot of being engaging and enjoyable without sounding too coloured.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #18,927 of 23,521
I just got my u12t and I've been loving it but the stock cable is really bad, I'm currently using this cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQBBCW7 and it's pretty comfortable but I don't know if it's the best quality. Any recommendations for a cable preferably ending in 4.4 balanced connection.
For affordability and quality, I’d recommend Effect Audio’s Vogue cables. They aren’t as cheap as the no-name ones you can find on TaoBao, but you’re gonna be guaranteed quality and after-sales service, which the cheaper kinds typically lack.

The Virtuoso is one I’d recommend for the U12t to give it even more openness and groove: www.effectaudio.com/virtuoso

Nov 12, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #18,930 of 23,521
64 audio A3t and A4s just announced
Awesome! Again, it's fantastic to see 64 continue to keep the more affordable side of their line-up chock full of new offerings. The A4s is a hybrid as well, which is pretty enticing... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back