The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #18,661 of 23,417
Ahhh the good ok’ occlusion effect. It doesn’t affect me too much though other factors stemming from the use of IEMs which form a tight seal with no dissipation include a vacuum like suction in the ear drum and fatigue.

From what I’ve read and early impressions the open grill design forms part of apex core which attributes to reduced fatigue, but you still have isolation associated with an IEM. That said it’s relatively low (effective -13dB if I recall on the Duo) but would still block out sounds. So it would not be like wearing fully open headphones.

There’s only so much one can achieve when shoving earpieces in your ears, in particular given the need for an effective seal to ensure adequate bass response.
I learned a new word today, and I had to look that one up. Yes! Occlusion is exactly what I hate about IEM's + talking. I'm probably a minority since I haven't really seen anyone else mention this issue. :)

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #18,662 of 23,417
I wonder if the Duo enables hearing your surroundings more like an actual open back headphone. That would be nice cause I prefer using an open-back headphone when talking on a mic, but tired of wearing headphones all day. lol. I'm not sure if y'all get what I mean, but the closed-back IEM + sound isolation emphasizes my voice when talking and I hate hearing myself. lol.
Great question, you can definitely hear a lot more ambient information when wearing Duo, compared to all of our other IEMs. It does still provide a bit of isolation to bring down the ambient noise of an already quiet environment but definitely ambient enough to hear someone speak. To your point about speaking, yourself, the occlusion effect is greatly minimized, depending on how bass-heavy your voice is. We see it becoming a useful tool to folks broadcasting in settings like podcasts, live-streaming, video games, etc.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Sep 24, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #18,663 of 23,417
Great question, you can definitely hear a lot more ambient information when wearing Duo, compared to all of our other IEMs. It does still provide a bit of isolation to bring down the ambient noise of an already quiet environment but definitely ambient enough to hear someone speak. To your point about speaking, yourself, the occlusion effect is greatly minimized, depending on how bass-heavy your voice is. We see it becoming a useful tool to folks broadcasting in settings like podcasts, live-streaming, video games, etc.
A little bit of isolation isn't a problem, it's mainly the occlusion effect I can't get over personally. If Duo get's me one step closer to openness, I might have to try these out now! Covid and working at home has my headphones stuck to my head, and it would be a nice change of pace to rotate in IEM's. Plus, I hate my headphone "hat hair" at the end of my work day. lol

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #18,664 of 23,417
The U12t has a commendable soundstage, especially when using the M15. I would not anticipate a compromise, in particular as the headphones are closed back. Add to that, the U12t is impressively holographic in terms of stage depth and layering.

That said, it really is difficult to compare like that as IEM and headphone listening are two different but uniquely rewarding experiences.

Thanks - that's good to hear.

I'm a medical student and I feel like an IEM would be great to use in the hospital library between ward rounds. It's been a tough time with COVID so could use something to pick me up! I'm based in AUS - are there any upcoming sales? Would pick one up at 20% off no question but not too happy with the $3K Aus retail price.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #18,665 of 23,417

I'm a medical student and I feel like an IEM would be great to use in the hospital library between ward rounds. It's been a tough time with COVID so could use something to pick me up! I'm based in AUS - are there any upcoming sales? Would pick one up at 20% off no question but not too happy with the $3K Aus retail price.
Hey mate, reach out to Passion For Sound (youtube and Stereonet), he had one U12t for sale/trade a few weeks ago. He is Melbourne as well.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #18,666 of 23,417

I may be in the minority, but I like the way the u12t sounds with the MX module over the M15 or M20. The MX opens out the soundstage for me, as the stronger sub bass with the M15/M20 sometimes overloads my ears. Mine came with all three modules, but I believe older models came with just the M15 and M20.

Sep 25, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #18,667 of 23,417
So no LID tech in Duo right? Is it more dynamic than 18s? I always felt U18s was limited in macro dynamics.
I get what you’re saying about macrodynamics. I mentioned it on my A18s review as well. I think the Duo’s treble will give it the edge in slam/bite in the beginning, but that lead will eventually peter out, especially in the midrange. I find the A18s’s midrange more evocative and holographic. So, I’d say the Duo has the edge at first, but they’ll even out as you listen. The A18s may even take the lead if the mids are your priority.

A little bit of isolation isn't a problem, it's mainly the occlusion effect I can't get over personally. If Duo get's me one step closer to openness, I might have to try these out now! Covid and working at home has my headphones stuck to my head, and it would be a nice change of pace to rotate in IEM's. Plus, I hate my headphone "hat hair" at the end of my work day. lol
Yeah, the Duo’s semi-open design does wonders in removing that occlusion effect. It doesn’t feel like a wall of pressure slowly caving in on you as you listen to the IEM. It’ll stay open and easy-sounding for an impressive amount of time, so it could definitely work for you.

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #18,673 of 23,417
Even though they are generally one of first out of the blocks with new gear reviews I think I will wait for some other reviews to come out. Nothing against them personally I simply don't get on with their style of review. I just prefer something a little more succinct.

Sep 25, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #18,675 of 23,417
Hi guys,

Im considering a U12T but am a bit concerned about a couple of things:
1) I will becoming from headphones (Denon AH-D9200), how much worse is the soundstage?
2) How durable are they? Ive heard that the 2 pin connector gets loose over time.

Thanks!
Really love the AD9200 .. one of my favorite close back .. good at everything and very good depth soundstage and reference bass.. I absolutely not know 64 audio but I really doubt even the best iem can compete with this headphones of this level .. but apple and Orange as far as nomadism is at stake of course..
i admit that to be fair you should compare using a good amp on iem.. makes a lot with headroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back