The Official 2D Fighting Game Thread
Mar 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #46 of 64
I'm sure most fighting game fans have heard of Capcom vs. SNK. There's less appreciation for SNK vs. Capcom, however. The order of companies does make quite a difference, with the latter appearing on the Neo-Geo platform during its final days. It was a very broken game as I recall, but still quite enjoyable, and it had a very interesting cast.

By the way, as a US gamer, I remember my surprise when I discovered that the character I knew as Vega was actually named Balrog in Japan, and that M. Bison was actually named Vega. The boxer was the one named M. Bison (rhymes with Mike Tyson, get it?). I remember thinking everything I knew up until that point had been a lie. lol.

Also wanted to plug the Power Instinct series on the Neo-Geo, in particular Matrimelee. Yet another game released during the dying years of the platform, but a ridiculously fun game. There was a character who only fought using his legs, for instance. Also the soundtrack was one of the best fighting game soundtracks of all time in my opinion.

I miss those ridiculously big game carts....

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #47 of 64
I prefer my 2-D fighters over 3-D, but don't play much right now (school and what not).

I played BlazBlue when it first came out as Rachel, but haven't touched any of the new ones.
I also play Melty Blood when it was Act Cadenza, but I haven't updated with the times and shifted to Actress Again yet. I remember when I played AA at an arcade I was incredibly confused.

Also, that Neo Geo game has art strikingly similar to Range Murata.

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #48 of 64
Yeah, the name changes have been simplified online.

Claw
Boxer
Dictator

Oh, and I LOVED SVC Chaos. I was practically unbeatable on it at my local arcade (the arcade was very popular back in the day). My main was Kim (as usual).

It had a pretty neat battle system. Like with the Shotos, you could chain a low kick, medium kick into a hadoken. It stringed the way Killer Instinct did. No other Street Fighter game strings attacks that way.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #49 of 64

Did you guys hear that Neo-Geo is releasing a new hand held now?

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #50 of 64
Yeah, but that's just a novelty. It's nothing serious. Just for those who want their Neo Geo titles on the go. Think of it like the Sega Nomad, which played Genesis games.

Considering I was playing Neo Geo games on my PSP for ages, well... =/

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #52 of 64

Quote:
No, I didn't hear. But I love SNK, so please, tell me more. Link? : ]

http://kotaku.com/5893761/the-new-neo-geo-handheld-goes-on-sale-very-soon

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #53 of 64
The Neo-Geo Pocket was such a great little handheld. This new system looks very interesting (LOVE the AES-like design... gold lettering FTW), though the games being bundled with it have been re-released as collections on just about every system. Hopefully they'll release some of the "newer" titles on SD cards (SvC Chaos, Mark of the Wolves, Matrimelee, later KOFs...).

Still, it's really nice to see the Neo-Geo name on something new! *swoon*

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #54 of 64
The Neo-Geo Pocket was such a great little handheld. This new system looks very interesting (LOVE the AES-like design... gold lettering FTW), though the games being bundled with it have been re-released as collections on just about every system. Hopefully they'll release some of the "newer" titles on SD cards (SvC Chaos, Mark of the Wolves, Matrimelee, later KOFs...).

Still, it's really nice to see the Neo-Geo name on something new! *swoon*

I actually have a Neo Geo pocket with like...5 games...

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #55 of 64
I had one myself with Capcom vs SNK. Great system. My friend still has his. We bought it at the same time. Lots of fun. Failed miserably though.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #57 of 64

I would love to be able to take The Last Blade 2 around and play whenever. Or some Metal Slug. I don't know, if it's not TOO expensive, I'd be interested... But, I'm sort of doubting that it'll be competitive.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #58 of 64
Had some nostalgia pangs and picked up SvC Chaos, KoF Neowave, Samurai Shodown Anthology, and the two Fatal Fury collections.

Spent some time with Street Fighter x Tekken. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think it's one of the best implementations of Capcom's new "style," and it has an almost oldshool feel to it. I never bothered with Tekken past Tag Tournament, so I really don't have an idea what's going on with any of the roster on that side save for some of the more notable characters, but since I play as Juri mostly anyway it's not too disorienting. Haven't noticed any overt balance issues yet. While experimenting with some of the Tekken characters as partners for Juri, I noticed their play style tends to have a bit of "weight" to it, as one expects from a character that would play in three dimensions primarily. I think Capcom did a pretty good job translating that feel to a 2D plane. But then I'm no Tekken expert.

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #59 of 64

Quote:
Had some nostalgia pangs and picked up SvC Chaos, KoF Neowave, Samurai Shodown Anthology, and the two Fatal Fury collections.

Spent some time with Street Fighter x Tekken. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think it's one of the best implementations of Capcom's new "style," and it has an almost oldshool feel to it. I never bothered with Tekken past Tag Tournament, so I really don't have an idea what's going on with any of the roster on that side save for some of the more notable characters, but since I play as Juri mostly anyway it's not too disorienting. Haven't noticed any overt balance issues yet. While experimenting with some of the Tekken characters as partners for Juri, I noticed their play style tends to have a bit of "weight" to it, as one expects from a character that would play in three dimensions primarily. I think Capcom did a pretty good job translating that feel to a 2D plane. But then I'm no Tekken expert.

Yeah SFXT is definitely something different. Its got the character models of ss4, but it plays almost differently. First off the juggle system is a plus, but scaling for extended combos make it useless. That being said, its a strong footsies game, where timeouts are frequent. They either need to up the time or increase damage for less lame play.

Anyways, I grew up with like samurai showdown, art of fighting, fatal fury, rage of the dragons, last blade, street fighter 2, mvc2, cvs2.....I played them all yeah. Bought every fighting game thats released within the last 2 years. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #60 of 64
So I've been playing BlazBlue (CS:EXTEND). A lot. And love it.

I'm not very good, mind, but I'm having a great time of it.

By coincidence I was ordering a stick at the same time, for shmup games and old arcade favorites like Metal Slug, so I've been playing on that. Which is awesome.

I have to say that the experience of playing BlazBlue has completely changed my opinion of 2D fighters. I used to more or less hate them; now I find myself eagerly awaiting the release of Skullgirls (three... more... days...) and looking around for more titles to get involved in. I think I might try something more 'classic' next; probably Street Fighter or one of the crossovers.

I felt somewhat obligated to post in this thread, considering it was a huge factor in my deciding to bite the bullet and actually get the game. So thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back