The Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #91 of 150

It ain't that easy man, but if you are ever in the need for a new piece let me know as we would love to work with you. 

beerchug.gif

Oh, San Diego is only about an hour and a half away from me via 405 and 5 (using the Route 73 toll road part of the way) so I could make it pretty easy on you.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Anyways, thanks again for your services at the meet, I appreciate it. 
beerchug.gif
 (root beer in my glass)

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #92 of 150

Oh, San Diego is only about an hour and a half away from me via 405 and 5 (using the Route 73 toll road part of the way) so I could make it pretty easy on you.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Anyways, thanks again for your services at the meet, I appreciate it. 
beerchug.gif
 (root beer in my glass)

For sure, except I am in Santa Barbara now. You can take the lovely 101 up here.

Always a pleasure!

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #93 of 150

For sure, except I am in Santa Barbara now. You can take the lovely 101 up here.

Always a pleasure!

I was just in that area not too long ago (passed by Santa Barbara to go to Santa Maria to coach at a girls CIF championships and then 2 weeks later at a boys CIF championships [same city, different HS.])  When you want a tester/reviewer, think of me...... 
redface.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #94 of 150
  Hey you guys, I didn't get a chance to talk to many of you about this... but did y'all get a chance to hear the super secret headphone amp that was at my table?  Any additional thoughts about that rig, good or bad?

BTW, I thought it was pretty awesome that we had some girls at our meet.  Not just girls that were dragged there kicking and screaming by their boyfriends, but girls that dig personal audio. 
smile.gif

Hey Warren! First of all, thank you so much for all your hard work putting together the meet (you too Ethan!) and manning it on your birthday. This goes for all the guys that helped out/volunteered at the meet. Secondly, your birthday was a blast. Getting destroyed at billiards by all the mods was surprisingly fun (the cheeseburger/beers didn't hurt either!) I also think it's hilarious that the gentleman manning the super-secret headphone amp at your table was also celebrating his birthday! 

You asked about the amp, and you're in luck, because I actually spent quite a while with your LCD rig and the new amp and gave my impressions at the table, but I'll go a little more in depth here:

Apparently the enclosure will be completely different from what we saw, so I won't comment on the looks/size/shape of the amp in question. As far as sound goes, it was the perfect time and place to try out the amp, since there were so many other LCD setups at the meet to compare with, albeit not immediate or directly so I was really going off memory so this is all IMO. 

It definitely seemed very capable, good/great dynamics and allowed the LCD to really sing. It sounded at least as good as the Schiit Mjolnir to me, which is very good company to be in. Dead silent background with the LCDs, didn't try it with anything more sensitive though. I was concerned with the gain though - it got really loud, really quickly, so unless it was packing a ton of power, this thing needs a more usable volume control. It would be tough to use this with sensitive headphones in the current setup, and darn near impossible with IEMs. Also, with it being balanced output only, it definitely limits the amount of headphones you can use with it, and I'm always an advocate for versatility in my amps, if you can do it without harming the signal.

So all in all a definite challenger to the Mjolnir and the rest of the <$1000 amps I heard LCDs on at the meet and have heard in the past. They really sang, and I don't think I heard a better Audeze setup all day. If those small issues like smoother volume control and SE output are fixed with a price tag in the $600-$800 range I think this could be one heck of a good deal and easily compete with stuff in the >$1000 market sound quality-wise.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #96 of 150
Sorry I missed the birthday dinner Warren! Mikey and I had to make a pilgrimige to Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas Ribs. It's a mandatory stop every time I go to the valley.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #97 of 150
  Best sound at the meet. Too bad like four people heard it.

I had all of my gear in the room and got a good listen and had a lovely conversation with Frank's wife. I like the fact that he used a NOS dac with it. This system definetly got my foot tapping!

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #98 of 150
Finally got the pictures all uploaded from the meet! Let me know what you guys think. I'm going to get to work on my impressions now 
popcorn.gif

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21016768@N07/

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #100 of 150
Member rooms had less traffic through out in comparison than in previous meets but was nice as got some more chances to get to talk with those in our surrounding tables and with people who did come to our tables were a real treat to talk to. Frank and his set up was outstanding and Frank was great to chat with. Last meet it was certainly a gauntlet for me and my friends to get through all the vendors to fill out the lottery, I can only imagine how it was this meet to get raffle tickets.

Dinner was a blast with so many people showing up and playing pool was fun even if I was terrible at it 
biggrin.gif
 Jumped in during a game and was shooting the wrong colors for like half the game 
cool.gif

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 12, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #102 of 150
  I settled on the geek 450 now I just need some headphones.  Any suggestions in the $300 range I like neutral with some added bass.

Hello Mr Rabbit Leg audiofrk! I still can't believe you won twice in the raffle, that was pretty awesome. Anyways it was a blast talking with you and hanging out at Warren's birthday party. Hope you're loving your new Geek 450. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #103 of 150
Hey y'all, I'll be responding shortly,  I just have a family thing to take care of in the next few days. 
redface.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #104 of 150
  Finally got the pictures all uploaded from the meet! Let me know what you guys think. I'm going to get to work on my impressions now 
popcorn.gif

Very interesting: I did not know about this GES electrostatic AMP !  

How does it sound ?  compared to it's big brother WES that is 3 time more expensive ? 

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #105 of 150
popcorn.gif

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/21016768@N07/14893612045/

This is the best looking Fostex T50RP that I have ever seen. Who's the owner of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back