The Offical Unoffical SNES Thread
Dec 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #121 of 151
Quote:
A Link to the Past is the reason my family got an SNES. God I love that game. Star Fox, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy III... among dozens and dozens of others which have stood the test of time as amazing experiences.

20 years later, and I continue to find great games on the SNES I haven't played.

like wise... which reminds me I need to play Star Fox again :D it's really awesome on the SNES low-fi 3D graphics lol 

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #122 of 151
Any recommendations for some good games? I recently became the owner of a GameKlip and I've been wanting to play some of the classics on my phone via emulator. Beat Super Mario RPG already, great nostalgia. Thinking of giving Earthbound a try. Any others?

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #123 of 151
Quote:
Any recommendations for some good games? I recently became the owner of a GameKlip and I've been wanting to play some of the classics on my phone via emulator. Beat Super Mario RPG already, great nostalgia. Thinking of giving Earthbound a try. Any others?

There are many excellent games to choose from, here are some suggestions for ya:

Super Mario World

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Super Mario All-Stars

Super Mario Kart

Star Fox

NBA Jam T.E.

Super Street Fighter 2

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy 3

Megaman X

Donkey Kong 1 through 3

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #124 of 151
Final Fantasy II (SNES), which is really Final Fantasy IV (Later released on the DS, etc) is my favorite music from the SNES era. So glad the re-releases brought about real instrumentals and compositions. 

Did anyone play Lagoon for SNES?

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #125 of 151
Quote:
Final Fantasy II (SNES), which is really Final Fantasy IV (Later released on the DS, etc) is my favorite music from the SNES era. So glad the re-releases brought about real instrumentals and compositions. 

Did anyone play Lagoon for SNES?

I too found FF4's music to excellent, really all of the SNES Final Fantasies had excellent music.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #126 of 151
I think I'm gonna dive back into Live A Live again real soon.

For those of you who don't know about it already, it's one of Squaresoft's Japan-exclusive SNES JRPGs, and quite unique in its presentation compared to any other JRPG I've seen. There are 7 chapters set in different time periods that you can play in any order, and each has a particularly different gameplay style to it, even if all of them share the same basic combat system. Haven't seen anything like it since, especially not from Square themselves.

Fortunately, there's a very nice English translation patch. The current 2.0 version is remarkably improved from the original, with custom fonts for each chapter and a slightly revised script. I'm consistently impressed with how far these ROM hackers go with some of their projects, since it all looks quite professional.

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #130 of 151
Quote:
So there has to be some other SNES Fans ere other than me!

For starters though I will say just this... I'm currently searching for a more balanced Pair of headphones to use in conjunction with my many SNES OST... most of which btw are Mastered Audio Tracks not just game rips! So I love SNES instrumentals! I'm a fan of J-Rpg as well, I've played a decent amount of imported J-Rpg's [In Japanese] on my SNES console, I emulate now [so I can have English Patches]

My favorite OST is currently Secret of Evermore composed by Jeremy Soule [yea the famous one, this game was one of his first actually]

Where and how do you get your SNES OSTs from?

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #131 of 151
I always prefer the FM sound chips of over the SNES SPC sound.  I never liked how did SNES games sounded in my ears.  Still I must say Super Castlevania IV and Axelay are two or my favorite SNES soundtracks.  To my ears those two games did an amazing job with the sound chip.  I think the biggest problem with SNES sound to me is like every SNES soundtrack the music is electronic classical.  Sounds great for RPGs but terrible for everything else. 

If you like side scrolling shooters[size=x-small][/size] Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (based on Macross anime) is excellent.  Another shooting game that I like is Super Aleste (Space Megaforce in the US). 

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #132 of 151
I'm personally in the opposite camp; FM synth soundtracks can be pretty good (just look up anything done by Stephane Picq, like MegaRace, or the Genesis port of Vapor Trail, which manages to sound BETTER than the arcade original), but due to the way the FM chips are used most of the time, they either come across as harsh and grating, like that Sonic Spinball options music, or an inferior alternative to "wavetable" MIDI, where most PC games would treat the OPL as a MIDI device.

Sample-based synths like the SNES SPC700 and Amiga Paula just suit me better most of the time, though again, that's probably just because they were more consistently utilized to their fullest potential by game developers.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #133 of 151
WAIT, WUH?!  There is a game forum here and a SNES LUV thread too? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I still game (PC and Console - started with PC) and I still think the SNES was the best gaming system.  So many good games that I want to play simply thinking of them.  Nice to see some fellow Metroid fans. 

My favorite game (of all time) is still Ogre Battle:  March of the Black Queen.  If I had any skill in game design and 3D Artwork I would try to make my dream a reality - I would recreate the snes version of Ogre Battle in modern HD graphics but keep the gameplay and feel of the original.  Still playing this game - mostly on the Wii since they sell it in their Virtual Console so I had to buy it just to support it.  Still have my SNES but prefer to play it on the Wii (which is all my Wii gets used for).

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #135 of 151
Quote:
snes best gaming system for me too... how do games from snes played on Wii?

Good.  Like I said, its the only thing I use my Wii for - NES and SNES games.  You need the Wii Classic Controller for most of them though - its a good controller so no worries there except for the added expense.  With the Wii U out now you can get a better system or you can probably find an old Wii for super cheap.

It is nice you can find ULTRA rare games like Ogre Battle on the Virtual Console.  You can get some rare NES games too like Simon's Quest, Lifeforce and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back