The Obsession with Loudness in Portable Headphones -- Why?! + "Hearing Loss from Headphones a Myth"
Dec 5, 2016 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MICHAELSD

Headphoneus Supremus
Most of us understand the dangers of hearing loss, yet it seems every new headphone model keeps pushing the maximum decibel level. I can barely stand to listen to headphones on my iPhone on max volume, let alone my MacBook Pro which can drive a decent pair of headphones at about twice the volume. This obsession with loudness is only going to lead to sonic paralysis and hearing loss.

Furthermore, the issue with higher decibel headphones is listeners that push the volume to the max will be susceptible to more hearing loss. Frankly it isn't as widely-accepted that listening to headphones at a high volume can cause tinnitus or the loss of the ability to hear high frequencies. After all, the logic to non-believers is if headphones can pushed to be so loud, then why would listening at that volume cause issues? It's not like they suddenly become a speaker on max volume. I've heard quite commonly that hearing loss from listening to headphones too loudly is a myth.

So, are headphone manufacturers complicit in encouraging hearing loss by continuously increasing the maximum decibel sensitivity of their headphones or simply giving consumers what they want? I've seen reviews of some very loud headphones being compared on the merit of another headphone being louder, which baffles me because I definitely couldn't listen to many headphones properly amped, or even wireless headphones, at max volume without immediate pain. 

Is there even any merit to headphones becoming so loud? I suppose for those that really enjoy it they can max out the volume for a single song at over 100 decibels, but beyond that it's incredible to imagine the type of damage that could occur doing that an hour a day for years.

I have been considering the reason why hearing loss even occurs, and it's apparent that it's because the human body hasn't adapted and isn't made to constantly listen to loud noises. Loud noises typically signal some type of imminent danger up until headphones/earphones were invented under a century ago. (Wow, it's incredible to think that good headphones have barely existed for a few decades.)

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 12
not sure manufacturers even think about this. they make more sensitive headphones mostly for portable use. if your source is powerful, you set the volume as you like, and if the source is super weak, then some less sensitive headphones may not go loud enough for your use and that's a problem.
nobody makes headphones for people to use them at the loudness before they will explode the membrane/melt the coil. the user is alone responsible of the damages he will get when listening too loud for too long.

I complain about newer models being too sensitive too, but that's only because it makes the background noise of some sources annoyingly audible
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 12
High sensitivity improves compatibility with a larger variety of portable sources, and improves battery life during playback. I don't think any manufacturer of high sensitivity headphones expects you to just crank the volume all the way and listen to them that way.

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Manufacturers aren't pushing the loudness of headphones, I don't know where did you get that. If you compare it to the 80's, yes, headphones did change specs but because they were intended mostly to be used with old equipment that worked at different voltages/power. Past the 90's power dropped, output impedance dropped, etc and the 30 ohm "standard" was adopted replacing the 150-300 ohm older "standards". But it's not like they're pushing loudness, sensitive headphones usually won't handle more power so they will be loud at lower levels and simply blow at higher levels. If anything they're making their headphones easier to break and lower in quality.
It's usually DJ headphones that will get the absolute loudest (intended for loud parties and high powered mixers), usually they are sensitive enough for weak sources to drive them while being capable of handling around 1000mW at their best.

Quote:
  I'm more familiar with the opposite question: “how do I disable the EU volume cap on my device”!

That volume cap is the most dumb thing EU has ever done. Specially when it serves absolutely no purpose since the same volume level will have wildly different loudness on different headphones.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 12
With EVERYTHING, the user decides how much / how fast / how loud they want to get it.
Alcohol / cars / headphones ...
You always have people drinking too much, drive too fast and listen to music at deafening SPL.
Obviously the first two can kill you (potentially others too, esp. in combination), the latter one can make you deaf.

That too loud SPL can damage the hearing is a fact. Depending on the SPL and time of exposure this can be instantly or over time and either temporary or permanent.
So why is this even a question?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 12
What kind of people do you interact with that they deny the effects of volume loudness on hearing loss?!

"Audiophiles" online. A lot of people and Amazon reviews consider max volume important. My friends aren't that dumb, but I do hear people listening to headphones very loudly when I'm out and about.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 12
"Audiophiles" online. A lot of people and Amazon reviews consider max volume important. My friends aren't that dumb, but I do hear people listening to headphones very loudly when I'm out and about.

Might that just be due to people using crappy earbuds or cheap earphones with bad isolation and horrible sound leakage? Earbuds which basically don't seal the ear from outside sound will typically encourage people to pump up the volume to

1) Cover undesired outside noise
2) Get a better bass response which earbuds are mostly horrible at

Or maybe they're using open back cans which are designed to leak sound out?

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 12
Might that just be due to people using crappy earbuds or cheap earphones with bad isolation and horrible sound leakage? Earbuds which basically don't seal the ear from outside sound will typically encourage people to pump up the volume to

1) Cover undesired outside noise
2) Get a better bass response which earbuds are mostly horrible at

Or maybe they're using open back cans which are designed to leak sound out?

Oh, no. It's usually Powerbeats or Beats headphones. I never hear people blasting other types of headphones, but to be fair the most common portable audio gear I see people use are Apple EarPods or Beats products. Maybe Sony and SkullCandy occassionally as well.

Nov 11, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #11 of 12
I think less informed listeners tend to assume louder is better, since they have not developed critical listening skills.

The main thing that seems to be driving sensitivity is portability- smaller and smaller devices that output less voltage. I know that I have to crank up the volume on my Sansa Clip with some types of headphones, and I don't listen to music particularly loudly at all. I've actually thought about getting a headphone amp just so I can drive some of my Sony's, because there is a perceived lack of certain frequencies vs. using my PC.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, our ears are non-linear across the spectrum for different loudness levels. So, volumes variations changes how it's heard. This is a variable to be considered if comparing audio outputs, hence volume matched.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back